3723 68 2023-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Each time I start up the RC2 controller and it connects to my network, it shows up as a different device each time. I’m curious to know what the purpose of this is and if there is a way to make it but do that?
2023-8-11
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Different as in different MAC address? Or host name? Either way it might be a feature to reduce tracking and improve privacy.
2023-8-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-11 14:07
Different as in different MAC address? Or host name? Either way it might be a feature to reduce tracking and improve privacy.
Could be and understandable if I were using public WiFi or hotspots. But this is my home network. I should be able to turn off private on that specific connection. But it is an adroid device. I know iPhone has the ability to turn that off per connection. Don’t get me wrong, private connections/browsing is a good thing, but I don’t need multiple ip leases per day. I’m not sure how often my router culls stale connections.
2023-8-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, JodyB. Thank you for reaching out. Let us forward your concern to our relevant team for further checking. We'll let you know once we receive update.
2023-8-14
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1252884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. It generates a new MAC address every time it reboots.
It’s called “randomized MAC address” and it’s a security feature. I don’t think there’s a way to disable this, at least I haven’t found it.
Because the MAC address changes, you’ll see it as a another device.
2023-8-20
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I hope that DJI adds an option to disable that. If you restrict access to your network or phone's hotspot by MAC address, you can't currently do that if you need the RC2 to connect to it.
2023-8-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FRCornelis Posted at 8-20 00:30
Yes. It generates a new MAC address every time it reboots.
It’s called “randomized MAC address” and it’s a security feature. I don’t think there’s a way to disable this, at least I haven’t found it.
Because the MAC address changes, you’ll see it as a another device.

It doesn’t need to do that if you’re connecting to a private network such as your own so there should be an option to turn it off in the connection settings of each connection.
2023-8-20
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1252884 ft
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 8-20 08:13
It doesn’t need to do that if you’re connecting to a private network such as your own so there should be an option to turn it off in the connection settings of each connection.
There isn’t. Unfortunately. I looked everywhere with no luck.
2023-8-22
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FRCornelis Posted at 8-22 17:03
There isn’t. Unfortunately. I looked everywhere with no luck.

This has been my experience as well. And with the brand of router I have (Eero) I've yet to find a way to clear out stale connections thereby releasing old DHCP leases without waiting until the router decides to do it on its own.
2023-8-24
Use props
djiuser_dkFIeMSBamJC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87700 ft

Canada

Yes this is very annoying! I use MAC filtering so I have to allow a new MAC address on every reboot! I'm in IT for 20 years never seen this where it can't be turned off.

Please make an option to turn this off!
2023-8-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, JodyB. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team. Feedback is as follows: Due to the change in the privacy policy of the built-in Android system of DJI RC2, the MAC addresses will be randomly generated after restarting the controller, which cannot be set as a fixed value, which can also protect the privacy of customers to the greatest extent. Hope this answers your question.
2023-8-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-27 08:30
Hi, JodyB. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team. Feedback is as follows: Due to the change in the privacy policy of the built-in Android system of DJI RC2, the MAC addresses will be randomly generated after restarting the controller, which cannot be set as a fixed value, which can also protect the privacy of customers to the greatest extent. Hope this answers your question.
DJI Gamora. Please consider the following example.

You are the administrator of a network. Small or large, doesn’t matter.

What do you not want on your network for security purposes? Unknown devices. Also unknown devices sucking up dhcp leases.

All my friends and family that I have allowed to use my network while they are at my home, turn off private relay and such or my router doesn’t allow them to connect unless I make an exception.

iOS can turn off these privacy settings per individual connection and that puts it squarely in my hands to control and be responsible for. This is the way it should be.

I should be able to connect to my own home network and turn off those privacy settings so my own home router will recognize the device, allow it to connect and keep its dhcp lease at at the same time all on its own.
2023-8-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JodyB Posted at 8-27 12:24
DJI Gamora. Please consider the following example.

You are the administrator of a network. Small or large, doesn’t matter.

Hi, JodyB. We appreciate your valued feedback about the said feature. We will surely record this and forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-8
Use props
Carsten_LEJ
New
Flight distance : 205427 ft
Germany

Hi, +1 on the request to add an option to disable random MAC address on network level. It is really annoying. Can we add a pull request / feature request somewhere?
2023-10-6
Use props
Christian Berndt
New

Germany

So ein Müll. Jedesmal eine neue MAC Adresse... Ein Mac Filter ist ein Sicherheitsbaustwin und nicht immer wieder eine neue MAC!
2023-10-7
Use props
Swen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1353386 ft
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-8 20:22
Hi, JodyB. We appreciate your valued feedback about the said feature. We will surely record this and forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi, I've got the same problem with my Fritz Box router. These Routers are by far the most common routers in Germany. If you enable the function "only known devices" the Rc2 controller isn't recognized a second time because of the changed mac address. So I must downgrade the security of my home wifi to allow all new devices to try establishing a connection and thats an open door for hackers.  Makes absolutely no sense. The RC2 is the only device I know who does this bull....
Privacy can be reached by connecting to your phones hotspot, your own router and by avoiding public ones.
Please change firmware at least to the possibility to switch this total useless function off by choise.
2023-10-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Swen Posted at 10-14 04:54
Hi, I've got the same problem with my Fritz Box router. These Routers are by far the most common routers in Germany. If you enable the function "only known devices" the Rc2 controller isn't recognized a second time because of the changed mac address. So I must downgrade the security of my home wifi to allow all new devices to try establishing a connection and thats an open door for hackers.  Makes absolutely no sense. The RC2 is the only device I know who does this bull....
Privacy can be reached by connecting to your phones hotspot, your own router and by avoiding public ones.
Please change firmware at least to the possibility to switch this total useless function off by choise.

Hi. We acknowledge that we have received the same concerns and suggestions from other DJI Pilots before. What we will do is continue to record such feedback and ensure that it reaches our related team. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We hope this will be considered soon. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.
2023-10-14
Use props
RainerG
New

Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-14 23:11
Hi. We acknowledge that we have received the same concerns and suggestions from other DJI Pilots before. What we will do is continue to record such feedback and ensure that it reaches our related team. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We hope this will be considered soon. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.

I came across this discussion while searching for a solution to the problem of connecting the RC2 to my private network (Fritz Box router).
Restricting the connection options to my private network to known devices (MAC addresses) is an important security feature.
A constantly changing MAC address prevents the RC2 from connecting to the network. This also prevents me from receiving information about potentially important updates!
Please urgently find a way to assign a fixed MAC address!
2023-11-6
Use props
=DUH=
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44944 ft
Germany

All my Samsung Android devices provide the option to disable random MAC for selected wireless networks.
DJI please implement that!
2023-11-6
Use props
djiuser_XhSuVrA2f9JB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11837 ft

United States

Add my name to the list, this dynamic MAC address is a bad idea as letting it connect to my network lowers its security.  Please update your software to allow a static MAC address.
2023-11-6
Use props
djiuser_23rfaLHknlA3
New
Flight distance : 627 ft

Germany

The same for me... this "Feature" is really annoying, because you're updating your remote control at home, mostly, and not when you are connected to a public hotspot!
So pls. add an option to disable this bad feature like all other manufactures have implemented as I know.
2023-11-7
Use props
djiuser_I1xlNT7TBr3G
New

Germany

Please change this as soon as posible.
2023-11-7
Use props
CPdrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 563698 ft
United Kingdom

Hey, another enterprise user here... Our company network uses MAC address filtering as well, I had the device whitelisted but now I'm blocked again...

Every other Android device I have lets me turn that setting off for specific networks, that is built into the normal Android experience.

Please bring that setting back, it's really important.
2023-11-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You are overthinking it. Set up a guest account and log in with that. It doesn't matter how the Mac address changes then.
2023-11-8
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don’t think it’s being over thought at all. A home network can have guest turned on sure. But I don’t. I have a gateway where you have to agree to be on my network as a guest. There isn’t anyway to get to agree to the options on the controller. Plus it leaves a network admin not in control of his network. iOS and Android both have the option to turn that feature off. It should have that same feature.
Some company networks do not allow guest to be utilized either. Mine does not.
2023-11-8
Use props
fansb5cf49f5
New
Flight distance : 7392 ft
United States

Count me in asking to remove this “feature”
2023-11-24
Use props
Kallista
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516535 ft
Germany

fansb5cf49f5 Posted at 11-24 03:31
Count me in asking to remove this “feature”

Ich arbeite nun seit ca. 20 Jahren im Netzwerkgeschäft aber so etwas beknaktes habe ich noch nicht erlebt. Den Urheber dieser wundersamen MAC-Adressvermehrung sollte man ein mittleres Netzwerk einrichten lassen und er wäre für immer geheilt. Die MAC-Adresse dient ausschließlich der eindeutigen Differenzierung der Netzwerkteilnehmer und alles andere ist balabala!!!!!!
If I had known that, I would never have bought this device.
2023-11-24
Use props
Trelfar
lvl.1
United States

=DUH= Posted at 11-6 04:00
All my Samsung Android devices provide the option to disable random MAC for selected wireless networks.
DJI please implement that!

MAC address randomization is part of the base Android operation system - and so is the option to turn it off: https://source.android.com/docs/core/connect/wifi-mac-randomization-behavior

But while they were stripping down the settings app to the bare minimum, DJI have removed (or deliberately chosen to not implement) the option on the Wi-Fi settings screen.

DJI, please add this option back where it should be.

2023-11-26
Use props
djiuser_yPgT2Wr82I6H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194656 ft
Germany

Hallo, es ist wirklich nervig hunderte nicht genutzte DJI RC2 Controller aus seiner Netzwerkliste zu löschen um Übersicht seiner Netzwerk Geräte zu behalten. Ich bitte darum das Android des Controllers komplett zugänglich zu machen, meine Sicherheit muss nicht von DJI betreut werden, das ist Privatsache!
Danke im voraus!
2023-12-26
Use props
AktivX
lvl.1

Germany

Has this dynamic MAC issue solved now? When can i stay with one MAC only?
2023-12-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I haven’t checked since the last update but it was still utilizing a new MAC address with each connection not long before the latest update. Nothing was noted in the change log with the last update either. I have to assume it’s still that way now. I may check later to see if it’s changed but I’m doubting it.
2023-12-28
Use props
djiuser_Lu7ZOFSVHjB3
New
Flight distance : 24928 ft
Switzerland

JodyB Posted at 12-28 15:32
I haven’t checked since the last update but it was still utilizing a new MAC address with each connection not long before the latest update. Nothing was noted in the change log with the last update either. I have to assume it’s still that way now. I may check later to see if it’s changed but I’m doubting it.

Yes, it is not solved figured it out today, have setup the WiFi yesterday and today there was no connection possible due to new MAC address
2023-12-30
Use props
djiuser_Lu7ZOFSVHjB3
New
Flight distance : 24928 ft
Switzerland

Please DJI bring the update to fix the mac address for privat WIFI as usual.
2023-12-30
Use props
fanse6fd5967
New
United Kingdom

djiuser_Lu7ZOFSVHjB3 Posted at 2023-12-30 09:30
Yes, it is not solved figured it out today, have setup the WiFi yesterday and today there was no connection possible due to new MAC address

Yes, please DJI, allow non randomized addresses. I have to disable network security to allow the controller onto the network. Hence DJI is forcing me to compromise security on my home network.
1-5 12:06
Use props
djiuser_JVrCtf7ZK1hs
New

Puerto Rico

This is extremely annoying. My router send me a push notification for every new device that connects to WiFi, so you know what happens when I turn on my DJI Controller!!! I’m tired of this Mac flooding!
1-24 20:12
Use props
AktivX
lvl.1

Germany

Same here - when will we get an update for this topic?
1-27 12:37
Use props
Bitfire
New
Germany

Add me to the list of people strongly supporting the above request.
1-31 03:57
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AktivX Posted at 1-27 12:37
Same here - when will we get an update for this topic?

I’d like to see it for sure
1-31 15:15
Use props
shaiboyuk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2760082 ft
United Kingdom

@dji please listen to your customers, this needs sorted now.
2-9 02:34
Use props
DJIMausHGermany
New
Germany

@dji: Unbedingt ein Update, das feste MAC-Adressen im Heimnetzwerk erlaubt.
Danke
@dji: Definitely an update that allows fixed MAC addresses in the home network.
Thanks
2-10 04:00
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules