Remote ID Module placement
2429 14 2023-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

Has DJI published, or has anybody seen any guidance for placement of RID modules for the huge number of non-compliant DJI aircraft used by those who haven't been enticed to buy the new thing to replace the perfectly useable thing?

What is the best place to put the new load to have a view of the sky without unduly compromising the aircraft GPS or performance of each of the DJI models?

A picture of each DJI model with the 'no go' location of the internal GPS antenna would be a great start...
We have 32 days...

2023-8-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To some degree this will depend on the module itself.
2023-8-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, JSAREY. Thank you for reaching out. May we ask what specific DJI drone you have for us to further check? Thank you.
2023-8-15
Use props
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-15 07:42
Hi, JSAREY. Thank you for reaching out. May we ask what specific DJI drone you have for us to further check? Thank you.

The question is broad because our fleet is varied and I believe it would be of benefit to the community.
Those who are not able to buy the latest kinda feel abandoned .
Specifically for us, Spark, Air, Mavic Pro2, Phantom 4 (still a workhorse), P4 ProV2, P4 RTK, and Inspire.
  And a M300 that SHOULD be compliant , but we haven't yet confirmed.
Yes, some are promised an upgrade by the end of the year,  but it looks they are grounded until it happens  - unless we attach a module...
We have a  Dronetag Beacon (finally, 12 wks after order..) Orders for uAvionix ping RID and Pierce Aerospace Beacon.
What will go on what will depend on availability and mission. It would be REALLY useful to know areas to not obstruct . I suspect top, over CG is a potential (probable?) for internal GPS..  Since  we have to add something the aircraft was not designed for, where do we do that to minimize the impact?
If there is information or testing, please share.
2023-8-15
Use props
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

Nothing but the sound of crickets...  15 Days
2023-8-31
Use props
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

Even the crickets are giving up... 5 Days
2023-9-11
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5018169 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good question. I could use a position on the Mavic 2 Pro Also. Sorry to see no one has answered you.
2023-10-6
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JSAREY Posted at 9-11 09:05
Even the crickets are giving up... 5 Days

I am thinking of putting mine on the mid point between the forward battery edge and the front of the Mavic 2 Pro, with some heavy duty velcro.
2023-10-6
Use props
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 10-6 20:50
I am thinking of putting mine on the mid point between the forward battery edge and the front of the Mavic 2 Pro, with some heavy duty velcro.

For the Air, I used a piece of Aluminum the size of the module and moved it to different locations and watched the GPS signal on the controller. Luckily I could place the module directly over CG without GPS degradation.
...but it's still a $200 backpack on a $500 UAV...
I feel(mostly) comfortable using heavy duty velcro (plastic to plastic , not fuzz to hooks..)
2023-10-9
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JSAREY Posted at 10-9 16:54
For the Air, I used a piece of Aluminum the size of the module and moved it to different locations and watched the GPS signal on the controller. Luckily I could place the module directly over CG without GPS degradation.
...but it's still a $200 backpack on a $500 UAV...
I feel(mostly) comfortable using heavy duty velcro (plastic to plastic , not fuzz to hooks..)

I use velcro for my beacons. Still waiting for DJI to make their upgrades Compliant on the mavic 2 Pro and Air 2.
2023-10-9
Use props
RichC66
New

United States

I still can't believe DJI is not providing a firmware upgrade for a lot of drones.  Some of these aren't very old.   At least they should provide a recommend a location.   How many here will keep their expensive RID module in their pocket until someone asks about it?  LOL
1-3 10:54
Use props
Red Necker
lvl.1

United States

Dear DJI, as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) it is your obligation (per US law) to issue an official update about all aspects of RID modification, required by the national authorities (FAA).
I have RID to put on my two P4P and two Mavic AE. Where  these modules have to be placed /attached to the airframe of the referenced sUAVs?
Please, respond. This is a public safety issue, not just a consumer's rights/protection issue.

Kind regards
3-28 10:45
Use props
Red Necker
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2023-8-15 07:42

Dear DJI, as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) it is your obligation (per US law) to issue an official update about all aspects of RID modification, required by the national authorities (FAA).
I have RID to put on my two P4P and two Mavic AE. Where  these modules have to be placed /attached to the airframe of the referenced sUAVs?
Please, respond. This is a public safety issue, not just a consumer's rights/protection issue.

Kind regards
3-28 10:47
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Red Necker Posted at 3-28 10:47
I have RID to put on my two P4P and two Mavic AE. Where  these modules have to be placed /attached to the airframe of the referenced sUAVs?

Hi, Red. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm if the models of your drones are Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced?
3-29 07:53
Use props
JSAREY
lvl.1
United States

Back to what I sent to the crickets seven months ago...
...What will go on what will depends on availability and mission. It would be REALLY useful to know areas to not obstruct . I suspect top, over CG is a potential (probable?) for internal GPS..  Since  we have to add something the aircraft was not designed for, where do we do that to minimize the impact?
If there is information or testing, please share.

P4PV2s appear to have updated OK ...  but we haven't confirmed 'cause (the story is) iOS/Drone Scanner has a problem receiving DJI signal .
FAA staff have told us  that if it has a DoC , the aircraft has been upgraded, and the system indicates RID is operational, yer good.  ( But I tend to the 'Trust but Verify approach)
We have some that we've  grounded .
An aircraft outline with Smiley faces and Frowny faces would be nice would be  and better than dead crickets..
3-30 13:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules