1091 28 2023-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

The DJI Spark is really an outstanding drone.
I took mine out of the mothballs for a fly (not a moth) recently.
But I was careless!
On arival at the flight site, I received a fright when I took sight of my plight. On my cell phone I no longer had the Go 4 app, the flight software to control the spark!
I recall when I complained about certain aspects of the spark's performance, being told that it was the fault of my cellphone - by the local technician/salesman. "But" I countered, "Can you not fly it without a cellphone?"
"NO!" I was told.
AH! So!
Unperterbed, I set the drone up, no cellphone, pulled the sticks on the controller down to the centre and the props sprang into action... left stick up and the spark took to the air!
As long as I had line of sight (which is the legal requirement) I could fly the spark quite easily and there was no auntie telling me about nonsense like "...please check it on the map..." and  "atti mode"!
I fiddled with the other controls and realised (from far off vague memory) that I could control the camera also - when the camera was on the front lights were off, so while I could not have FPView I could still enjoy the flight!
I set up my Osmo Mobile 3 in follow mode to record the moments of flight without the cell phone device - so much for the technician ( although there was no auntie to tell me that the "baddery" was low, I could judge this also by looking at the twinkling (sparkling) lights on the battery).
I will be using the spark again soon - it was so much fun (not like my mini 2 though).
Music as usual by
tricks-and-tips
https://www.youtube.com/@tricks-and-tips
https://www.tricks-and-tips.nl/

2023-8-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying blind,  I like it.  And Im amazed the batteries are still good.
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 00:08
Flying blind,  I like it.  And Im amazed the batteries are still good.

That's 'cos they are intelligent, you know, Not your ordinary dumb batteries.
I got 11 minutes each out of three batteries

2023-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droffarc Posted at 8-16 00:31
That's 'cos they are intelligent, you know, Not your ordinary dumb batteries.
I got 11 minutes each out of three batteries

Ouch 11 minutes,     that doesn't sound too good.
2023-8-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice flight Droffarc.    Always fun to prove a technician wrong.  Good to know that there is still plenty of life left in the old Spark.
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 00:36
Ouch 11 minutes,     that doesn't sound too good.

That's about what I always got from the beginning - we are talking spark here - not mavic 6 and a half
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-16 03:20
Very nice flight Droffarc.    Always fun to prove a technician wrong.  Good to know that there is still plenty of life left in the old Spark.

Ohhhhh! Yeah!
2023-8-16
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

With that vista it doesn't really matter where you point the drone. Nice project.
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Depp Posted at 8-16 04:28
With that vista it doesn't really matter where you point the drone. Nice project.

Thanks Depp
2023-8-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting experiment - and reasonable results   Some life left in that kit yet.
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Blériot53 Posted at 8-16 09:03
Interesting experiment - and reasonable results   Some life left in that kit yet.

Same as for me
2023-8-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Somehow, we keep tottering on
2023-8-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Keep old Sparky flying.  
2023-8-16
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-16 13:03
Keep old Sparky flying.

It has it's uses for certain types of shots, just like the om3 - not very useful but has its uses like in this video.
2023-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 8-17 02:09
It has it's uses for certain types of shots, just like the om3 - not very useful but has its uses like in this video.

Reminds me of some of my specialty tools.  I don't need them all the time but when I need them I really need them.  

Had a close encounter with a very aggressive bull shark yesterday.  Glad I had my spear gun with me on the dive.  I used the tip of the spear to nudge him away three times before he got the hint and swam off.  
2023-8-17
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 02:28
Reminds me of some of my specialty tools.  I don't need them all the time but when I need them I really need them.  

Had a close encounter with a very aggressive bull shark yesterday.  Glad I had my spear gun with me on the dive.  I used the tip of the spear to nudge him away three times before he got the hint and swam off.

Shame! Here it was just nosing around in expectations of a nice juicy Downtown steak and all it got for its trouble was to be poked! You should be more agreeable with your steaks, you know.  
2023-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 8-17 06:23
Shame! Here it was just nosing around in expectations of a nice juicy Downtown steak and all it got for its trouble was to be poked! You should be more agreeable with your steaks, you know.

I'm not quite ready to become a shark's meal.  My dive buddy is a bit more risky than me as I have true respect for sharks.  I've found for the most part they are most inquisitive and they do a lot of sensing with their mouths open so that also gives them a bad reputation.  

I don't have a Neptunic's NeXt Generation Sharksuit and don't plan on buying one so I'll just continue to respect them and give them the distance they want.  

Here's my dive buddy teasing around too much  I had to tell him to knock it off three times or I was surfacing.
DB.jpg
2023-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droffarc Posted at 8-16 04:18
That's about what I always got from the beginning - we are talking spark here - not mavic 6 and a half

Ah OK,    I never had a spark so Id assumed it would have been a bit longer.  
2023-8-17
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-17 13:46
I'm not quite ready to become a shark's meal.  My dive buddy is a bit more risky than me as I have true respect for sharks.  I've found for the most part they are most inquisitive and they do a lot of sensing with their mouths open so that also gives them a bad reputation.  

I don't have a Neptunic's NeXt Generation Sharksuit and don't plan on buying one so I'll just continue to respect them and give them the distance they want.  

" AH! Just a wee bite then"

You have a lot of sharky types there! Nearest I ever got to a shark was when there was a sunfish in the water near us - A sunfish! but it looked like a shark's fin sticking out of the water. We played with the odd dogfish though - in Afrikaans it is called "skaamhaai" - shy shark, cos it hides behind it's tail.

Nice pic - thanks.
2023-8-18
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 22:36
Ah OK,    I never had a spark so Id assumed it would have been a bit longer.

only about a minute or two - though they say it is more but as you know that is under "perfect" lab conditions.
2023-8-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 8-18 01:07
" AH! Just a wee bite then"

You have a lot of sharky types there! Nearest I ever got to a shark was when there was a sunfish in the water near us - A sunfish! but it looked like a shark's fin sticking out of the water. We played with the odd dogfish though - in Afrikaans it is called "skaamhaai" - shy shark, cos it hides behind it's tail.

With Florida being surrounded on one side by the Atlantic Ocean and the other side by the Gulf of Mexico we have our share of sharks and many different varieties at that.  We also have plenty of rays.  Not long back I saw a Reef Manta Ray that had a wing span of close to 2.5 meters.  Those things can really get big.  
2023-8-18
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-18 02:51
With Florida being surrounded on one side by the Atlantic Ocean and the other side by the Gulf of Mexico we have our share of sharks and many different varieties at that.  We also have plenty of rays.  Not long back I saw a Reef Manta Ray that had a wing span of close to 2.5 meters.  Those things can really get big.

Lucky FISH!
2023-8-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

This is a Reef Manta Ray.  Not as big as the one I saw.  However, they do get even bigger up to 7 meters.
RMR.jpg
2023-8-19
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-19 03:07
This is a Reef Manta Ray.  Not as big as the one I saw.  However, they do get even bigger up to 7 meters.

Is beeeg, verrrry beeeg.
2023-8-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 8-19 07:49
Is beeeg, verrrry beeeg.

They get pretty big as a norm as they follow the zooplankton around and because of their size and speed they have very few natural predators and most are big sharks.  It is fascinating to watch them swim as they are very graceful.
2023-8-20
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-20 03:37
They get pretty big as a norm as they follow the zooplankton around and because of their size and speed they have very few natural predators and most are big sharks.  It is fascinating to watch them swim as they are very graceful.

May their predators be few and the krill be plentiful.
2023-8-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droffarc Posted at 8-20 04:14
May their predators be few and the krill be plentiful.

No doubt they would appreciate that.  

Hope you are having a great day.  
2023-8-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droffarc Posted at 8-18 01:08
only about a minute or two - though they say it is more but as you know that is under "perfect" lab conditions.

Sounds like they are still performing well then.  
2023-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good
(and nice track )
2023-10-20
Use props
Advanced