Lack of confidence
510 9 2023-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
buddy07720
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9058 ft
United Kingdom

Is it just me or has anyone else had this fear of losing/crashing the drone? I have done quite a few flights but still hold back as there is a constant niggle in my mind of totally losing it. This seems to be worse when I fly it further/higher away from me. I panic about not being able to bring it back! Silly I know you guys might say, but I cannot help it.
I'm hoping this will fade soon with more and more flying time, but just wondered if it's just my own lack of confidence,  

Apologies if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it.
2023-8-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've found that the more you fly your drone and get comfortable with the controls you will gain confidence.  It's natural to have some apprehension but you shouldn't fear flying.  Just do a thorough pre-flight check including ensuring your RTH altitude is set properly and you'll be fine.  
2023-8-17
Use props
GimiGlider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634593 ft
Hong Kong

Yeah, I get that anxiety especially when flying over the ocean-if the battery loses power, then the drone is toast.

That said, the anxiety can be mostly mitigated by proper planning-for example, when travelling long distances, I set limits for myself (ex. when flying out to sea in a no-wind scenario and starting with a full battery, I will start to return immediately after the battery hits 60%-if there's a land breeze, I'd probably set it to 65 or 70% depending on the wind speed). It also helps that I purchased care refresh, so I know that if I do lose my drone at least I can replace it for cheap.
2023-8-17
Use props
Rush211267
lvl.1
Canada

I know exactly how you feel. I constantly monitor the battery level & RTH at all times. I also check to see if RTH works by initiating it.
2023-8-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. You can try using the "Beginner mode". You can go to camera view>Control>Flight Tutorial, then it will lead to Beginner Flight Tutorial and disable it when you are confident enough to fly freely. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-17
Use props
buddy07720
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9058 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks all great tips, I hope after many more flights it will become second nature. And @GimiGlider, I have also purchased the 'care' package which does help, I agree, and like you always call it back well before battery is low.

2023-8-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

buddy07720 Posted at 8-19 00:48
Thanks all great tips, I hope after many more flights it will become second nature. And @GimiGlider, I have also purchased the 'care' package which does help, I agree, and like you always call it back well before battery is low.

I'm glad we are able to help. I hope you gain confidence when flying through time. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-22
Use props
Lizbegin99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191207 ft
Germany

I have the same problem but as everybody has said, the more you fly, the better it is. I just lost my new mini 3 Pro 3 days ago. But that will not stop me from flying. Good thing I bought a DJI Care for a year. I learned a lesson from it and I believe that is the most important thing!
2023-9-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Lizbegin99 Posted at 9-22 02:50
I have the same problem but as everybody has said, the more you fly, the better it is. I just lost my new mini 3 Pro 3 days ago. But that will not stop me from flying. Good thing I bought a DJI Care for a year. I learned a lesson from it and I believe that is the most important thing!

Hi, I'm sorry about what happened to your drone. But I'm glad you have a plan B. If you're going to submit a replacement or a Fly-away using your Care refresh, you can use this link: https://www.dji.com/global/support. You can also contact DJI support from the same link. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, I have had that too. And still do to some extent.
3-10 01:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules