Conditions for RID Success and Take Off Permitted
740 4 2023-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FeralUrchin
lvl.2

United States

Am contemplating buying a Mini 3, flying sub-250g using lighter batts only, and flying recreational only.  FAA does not require registration, so I do not intend to register.  My questions are 1) what sense will the FAA make of RID data when there is no underlying registration? 2) If there is no cell phone coverage or other network equipment in the remote areas where I often fly, will my drone be allowed to take off, or will there be an "RID error" and will my drone be grounded? 3) if I fly using an RC 231 controller and smartphone display having no SIM card, will takeoff be permitted?  Specifically what environmental must be met in order to avoid "RID error" and for takeoff to be permitted?
2023-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, FeralUrchin. Thank you for reaching out. Please see the answers below:
1) The aircraft is equipped with RID (via firmware method), so even if you have not registered the aircraft, it still needs to meet the take-off conditions of RID which need to obtain location information (you'll need to turn on all apps permission and turn on the mobile phone location&GPS option, and then you can use it normally).
2) No need to connect to the internet, RID has no relation with the internet.
3) It can take off normally, but you'll need to turn on all app permissions and the phone's location (GPS) option.

Hope this answers your questions. Should you need further assistance, please let us know.
2023-8-28
Use props
FeralUrchin
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-28 04:22
Hi, FeralUrchin. Thank you for reaching out. Please see the answers below:
1) The aircraft is equipped with RID (via firmware method), so even if you have not registered the aircraft, it still needs to meet the take-off conditions of RID which need to obtain location information (you'll need to turn on all apps permission and turn on the mobile phone location&GPS option, and then you can use it normally).
2) No need to connect to the internet, RID has no relation with the internet.

Thanks for the helpful response.  Just to be clear on my question 2), if no equipment or network is within range to receive the broadcasted RID (as when flying in a very remote area) will takeoff be permitted?
2023-8-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

FeralUrchin Posted at 8-28 20:06
Thanks for the helpful response.  Just to be clear on my question 2), if no equipment or network is within range to receive the broadcasted RID (as when flying in a very remote area) will takeoff be permitted?

Hi, FeralUrchin. Yes, as RID don't rely on internet connection.
2023-8-30
Use props
FeralUrchin
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-30 07:13
Hi, FeralUrchin. Yes, as RID don't rely on internet connection.

Thanks again for your helpful responses.
2023-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules