Does nobody balance their props?
3690 52 2015-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ed.weibe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

Actually, if I get all of my old heli gear out, I think I made a prop balancer using some razor blades and such. Its been a while.Will I buy a balancer?    eh...not if I can just make one.  Also I did have issue with sanding the aero-side of the blades. Seems it would cause
drag on that side.  Glad someone clarified which side.
2015-9-1
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Just out of curiosity...what does one of these "balancers" cost??
2015-9-1
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-9-1 11:39

Amazon. 22.99
2015-9-1
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-9-1 11:39

You can check them out here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#PropsP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-9-1
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
United States

of course after just plunking down 1200 or so on a bird,  another 20 or so dollars isnt gonna hurt I dont think.  just sayin.
2015-9-1
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-9-1 12:03
of course after just plunking down 1200 or so on a bird,  another 20 or so dollars isnt gonna hurt I ...

Has anyone elected to put a coat of laquer on the blades to make them smoother?
2015-9-2
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-9-1 21:05
I prefer sanding, 1500 or 3000 grit.  

IF you use tape, use electrical tape. Stick it to the MID/ ...

Unless the prop is really out of balance, electric tape is too heavy.. I've fixed most imbalance with a very small piece of scotch tape and is virtually as smooth as the original surface.  Also, I've always heard (and use) taping the bottom of the blade, not the top.  Not 100% sure there is a difference top or bottom though.
2016-3-20
Use props
moses the almos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153766 ft

United States

I do mine and can tell a diffrance
2016-3-20
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-8-31 21:44
So.. Sanding, or tape. What does everyone think?

I use a Du Bro balancer and use clear nail polish
on the props,
It's smooth and I don't worry about removing too much material by sanding
and it's easier
2016-3-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-1 13:29
I did mine. I found they were quite close right out of the box. Removing the raised lock icon and ar ...

I checked mine when I first got my aircraft, with a  DuBro and the correct P3 rod.   All the DJI props were spot-on or so marginally out it wasn't worth the attention to correct them.  I was surprised how good they were out of the packet.  I did 16 DJI props and a couple of sets of cheap and nasty Chinese knock-off clones.  They were terrible and needed a lot of sanding to balance.  I don't actually use them, it was more of a comparison exercise.  It is definitely advisable to check them and balance them, it is pretty cheap and easy to do, but in my experience you can get away without doing it if you use DJI props.   I've seen a few youtube videos testing DJI props and they concur that they are pretty well balanced out of the box.  People reporting bad DJI props surprises me, perhaps they aren't testing them properly or using the right rod?  You will get a lot of different opinions as to whether sanding or adding tape is the best method.  They all work and it is a preference thing.  I sand very lightly using the finest grit and check often while doing it.  You continue bit by bit, reducing the error until you approach zero imbalance.  No chance of overdoing it.  Just little/light sanding strokes each time.  It might be my woodworking background where I am cautious about removing too much material -- you can always remove more but can't put it back.  My DuBro came with some copper foil strips which I thought were a good idea, but I never actually got around to using them.  Theoretically they shouldn't change and need re-balancing unless you have a hard landing and the props hit something.  A nick on the tip might be enough to imbalance them.  They will still fly but they will induce a wobble.
2016-3-22
Use props
jrizo1
lvl.2

United States

What balancer for the P4 props
2016-3-22
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-1 04:48
That was my only complaint - and a small one at that - about the DuBro balancer. To balance the Ph ...

I agree... I purchased off Amazon without reading the fine print... They are very polite and "for just $14 additional we will send you the correct rod" - OR... they now offer a smaller Phantom Prop Balancer with the correct rod to thread our props on... $25 on Amazon...

Caveat: when I got the first balancer from them, there were no 8-32 nuts to secure the legs to the base... and the machining on the fittings was very irregular... just as others have stated.
2016-10-6
Use props
cedthered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1225827 ft
Sweden

Be careful not to make the prop aerodynamically unbalanced!
By doing a dynamic balancing (sanding away material) you might get the prop to balance, but if you distort the aerodynamic properties of the prop, it will be very unbalanced as soon as it starts to work. This can be as extreme as causing bad vibrations or it will lose effectiveness, this will cause the other motors to work harder to compensate, and in gusty conditions they might run out of power to compensate and cause unstable flight behaviour.
I find the DJI props to be well within the dynamic limits. I leave mine as they are.
On cold humid days, a rough surface could be a catalyst for prop-icing, which will ruin your day...
2016-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules