How do you make Ronin SC Track / Timelapese point down?
866 2 2023-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Giroro
lvl.1

United States

I have a Ronin SC and I am using the DJI Ronin app to make a simple camera move, but I can't figure out how to do it. I need the camera to be pointing straight down (-90 degrees), move to near horizontal, and then return to pointing straight down. I can't find any way within the tracking feature of the app to point the camera at an angle below -45. The timelapse feature seems to have the same limitation.

I've tried googling this problem, but boy oh boy has google been useless lately.

I understand that when the gimbal is oriented in a normal vertical tripod position, it can't point the camera straight down. But, I want to mount it an inverted position above the subject. From the gimbal's perspective it, pointing down with an inverted handle should be the same as pointing straight up, which it can do when oriented normally... but it still won't let me point that direction with the gimbal inverted. I've tried it with the handle horizontal and all kinds of angles, but I guess the limitation is based on gravity, not handle orientation. The virtual joystick will let me point the camera that direction, but the tracking tool will save every angle below -45 as exactly -45.

A gimbal this advanced should surely be able to do something as simple as pointing the camera down, right?

Is there any kind of "inverted" mode for the gimbal, or a way to unlock the tracking angles? I would even take a workaround that lets me trick the gimbal into thinking gravity is a different direction. If there's a way to do it with the handle mounted sideways instead of inverted, then I can try and find a way to mount it sideways.

The only thing I can think of is to mount the camera on the gimbal backwards, but that would be really risky as the lens would hit the motor when the gimbal decides to randomly freak out, and probably also when I try to reset to center.

If there is no way to program this gimbal to point down (have they dropped software support for the Ronin SC, or this app entirely?), does DJI sell any device that is capable of pointing a camera down? Is there a different app that they are updating for their newer gimbals or do all of their gimbals have this same limitaiton? I worry about upgrading to a newer gimbal when the app isn't on the play store, and it seems like they haven't made any significant app improvements for the Ronin SC (which it looks like they still sell new) in ... ever.

It's very important to me that my overhead camera can be programmed to make simple repeatable moves, and it seems like the Ronin SC should be more than capable of the job, if only the app would let me.

2023-8-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. About the Hyperlapse mode of Ronin SC, we learned that the area where the waypoint can be set is presented as a rectangle in the Ronin APP, and the area is defined by four vertices. With the center position of the gimbal as the center, the area that can be set is: the pitch axis moves up to a maximum of 90° in the vertical direction, and moves down to a maximum of -45°; in the horizontal direction, it moves 360°.
About your issue, we will consult with our engineers first.
2023-8-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We confirmed with our engineers and received the response.
About your questions:
In normal mode, the joystick can control the camera to point down till -90 degrees when the gimbal is inverted.
However, it is not supported to tilt more than 45 degrees in Hyperlapse mode or track.

2023-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules