Bad looking video with defaults
1085 37 2023-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

What can I use to fix a video with default setting with my air 2s ? I went on vacation and ended up with bad looking video

2023-8-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Luvmylab. Thank you for reaching out. We recommend using ND Filters. DJI Air 2s offers 2 sets of ND Filters:
1. DJI Air 2S ND Filters Set (ND4/8/16/32)
2. DJI Air 2S ND Filters Set (ND64/128/256/512)

These high-quality, light-reducing ND filters provide advanced users with precise control over shutter speed and ensure clean footage even when the shutter opens at 180° with low ISO during recording. Hopefully, other users can provide their recommendations as well.
2023-8-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

2023-8-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

For next time, ND64:

2023-8-21
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

[ Last edited by dreamtuner In 2023-8-22 21:42 Editor ]
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-21 21:23
Hi, Luvmylab. Thank you for reaching out. We recommend using ND Filters. DJI Air 2s offers 2 sets of ND Filters:
1. DJI Air 2S ND Filters Set (ND4/8/16/32)
2. DJI Air 2S ND Filters Set (ND64/128/256/512)

I took the filters out and looked to see which one too use for the first time and didn't know..I just need to fly  more  to figure it out thank's.. Now to figure how to fix what I have.  I can't go back for another year
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-21 21:41
https://youtu.be/Wr_fiAxq-sE

What program is this? I have to figure and fix what I have.  No option of going back, I'm out of vacation till next year.  I hope this a windows 10 program. Thanks again!
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-21 21:47
For next time, ND64:

https://youtu.be/qp0Fmd2vezo

Took it out and was afraid to use it. Another learning experience
2023-8-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simply reducing the Ev  value manually could resolve that problem.
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-22 06:01
Simply reducing the Ev  value manually could resolve that problem.
I did do that later on, it did help but that was later on. I still have 3/4  of all my flight video to correct. . Thanks for the input,  another learning  experience.
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-21 21:41
https://youtu.be/Wr_fiAxq-sE

Looks like DaVinci Resolve 18.5.1 from what I can tell. Is it hard to learn?
2023-8-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Luvmylab Posted at 8-22 05:43
What program is this? I have to figure and fix what I have.  No option of going back, I'm out of vacation till next year.  I hope this a windows 10 program. Thanks again!

It's called Davinci Resolve and it's available free for Windows here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
2023-8-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Luvmylab Posted at 8-22 07:01

On a scale of 1 to 10 for being hard to learn, I would give it a 7 so not super hard....but it isn't easy; definitely an investment of your time.  There are many tutorials on YT for beginners.
2023-8-22
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

A shot taken with Auto settings should not look so overexposed, also without using ND filters. May you share your “defaults” ?
Also the video mode is important: if you’re taking shots in HLG, you must play them on a HLG enabled display. On a wrong display they look overexposed like your video.
2023-8-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Luvmylab Posted at 8-22 06:28
I did do that later on, it did help but that was later on. I still have 3/4  of all my flight video to correct. . Thanks for the input,  another learning  experience.

I use the Free  full function version of Davinci Resolve 18 from Black Magic Design to edit and retouch my videos. You can adjust colour grading and brightness/contrast with it. Steep learning curve but worth the effort.
2023-8-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Luvmylab Posted at 8-22 07:01

That's the latest version - go for it.
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

FabioV Posted at 8-22 07:25
A shot taken with Auto settings should not look so overexposed, also without using ND filters. May you share your “defaults” ?
Also the video mode is important: if you’re taking shots in HLG, you must play them on a HLG enabled display. On a wrong display they look overexposed like your video.
Not sure what HLG is but I will share as soon as I can, (not home now) so ppl can see the settings to understand what went wrong. Thanks for replying.
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-22 07:35
That's the latest version - go for it.

I tried using VLC and its not hard but thought DJI people would know best one. Thanks for the replying
2023-8-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Luvmylab Posted at 8-22 08:30
I tried using VLC and its not hard but thought DJI people would know best one. Thanks for the replying

You're welcome
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Also the video mode is important: if you’re taking shots in HLG, you must play them on a HLG enabled display. On a wrong display they look overexposed like your video.

How would I know  I know if I shot it in HLG ? Is it in my SRT file?
2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

2023-8-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Also the video mode is important: if you’re taking shots in HLG, you must play them on a HLG enabled display. On a wrong display they look overexposed like your video.

2023-8-22
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Your video is overexposed by 2.3 stops (ev:2.3). I suggest to configure ISO = 100, shutter = Auto and EV = 0 and your video will become good.
2023-8-23
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-23 03:03
Is the camera in Auto mode?  Is the EV set to 0?

Of course not ! The SRT shows EV = 2.3
2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

FabioV Posted at 8-23 01:38
Your video is overexposed by 2.3 stops (ev:2.3). I suggest to configure ISO = 100, shutter = Auto and EV = 0 and your video will become good.
What would you do to fix this one? Can  I turn anything in a file to correct or is it a editing  program? Looking for a eay way out?
2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-23 04:24
Yup.  That's why his video is overexposed.  Set the EV to 0 & the video will look fine.

To fix this video in the  SRT file ? Or are you talking the next time up for the next recording? Sorry I'm  new at this , just trying to learn. Thanks for the reply.
2023-8-23
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Luvmylab Posted at 8-23 05:10
To fix this video in the  SRT file ? Or are you talking the next time up for the next recording? Sorry I'm  new at this , just trying to learn. Thanks for the reply.

The next time you should spend some time understanding how to setup the exposure parameters. You can do everything without flying, just keeping the drone in your hand and taking some shots.
Recovering a strongly overexposed video (and +2.3 stop is it) is not possible with good results. The overexposed pixels are set to white and also reducing the brightness cannot recover the lost details.In addition, I suggest to learn the basics of the digital video making. You can find a lot of tutorials online. Or you can invest few $$ in a book like "Digital Video for Dummies" or something similar.

2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-23 05:19
The next time you fly reset the EV to 0 before recording.  I don't know if it is possible to fully correct & recover the prior recordings?  There is software that can attempt to correct the recording to some degree, but if it has been majorly overexposed data can be completely lost.

Thank you for the reply
2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

FabioV Posted at 8-23 06:59
The next time you should spend some time understanding how to setup the exposure parameters. You can do everything without flying, just keeping the drone in your hand and taking some shots.
Recovering a strongly overexposed video (and +2.3 stop is it) is not possible with good results. The overexposed pixels are set to white and also reducing the brightness cannot recover the lost details.In addition, I suggest to learn the basics of the digital video making. You can find a lot of tutorials online. Or you can invest few $$ in a book like "Digital Video for Dummies" or something similar.
That video I posted was  the worst of the worst. I have  better as I was playing with ev
I wasn't sure where to put it as sun changed  it as I turned the air s2. I kept having to correct  it. My guess is you have to fly with a filter on when it is sunny out. Isn't there a  auto setting , or am I always flying  with a filter on sunny days?  I should of bought a better drone, it shouldn't  be this hard.
2023-8-23
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

If you think you need filters or a better drone, please have a look at the videos in my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGivlymgBLFY1N_O087OGw
I took them without any filter, using a DJI Mini 2 and a DJI Air 2s (all the HDR ones). Post processing have been used just to improve the colors.
The Auto mode is available and it works well. You just need to learn how to use your drone.
2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

FabioV Posted at 8-23 08:25
If you think you need filters or a better drone, please have a look at the videos in my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGivlymgBLFY1N_O087OGw
I took them without any filter, using a DJI Mini 2 and a DJI Air 2s (all the HDR ones). Post processing have been used just to improve the colors.
The Auto mode is available and it works well. You just need to learn how to use your drone.

Thanks for your patience  and time.
2023-8-23
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-22 07:03
It's called Davinci Resolve and it's available free for Windows here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Thanks for the time and reply.
2023-8-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

How is it going now?
2023-10-20
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Luvmylab Posted at 8-25 01:52
Thanks for the time and reply.

Not related to the overexpose issue, but I would also use Cine mode when fly... Your video is not smooth either... Need to be more gentle with the sticks and the gimbals...

That is off course my opinion...
2023-10-20
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

I'm not really getting very good results correcting it. Thanks for asking, it was a learning experience.
2023-10-22
Use props
Luvmylab
lvl.2
United States

Burt37 Posted at 10-20 15:59
Not related to the overexpose issue, but I would also use Cine mode when fly... Your video is not smooth either... Need to be more gentle with the sticks and the gimbals...

That is off course my opinion...

Thanks,  I bet your correct. It was a learning experience . I need more hours flying
2023-10-22
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Luvmylab Posted at 10-22 17:29
Thanks,  I bet your correct. It was a learning experience . I need more hours flying

Don't worry about it... I'm still learning myself...
2023-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Luvmylab Posted at 10-22 17:27
I'm not really getting very good results correcting it. Thanks for asking, it was a learning experience.

Correcting over exposed footage is almost impossible. Of course you can lower the brightness, but once something is 'white', the details are lost.
And did you try to make new footage with a different exposure setting?
I always shoot in auto (almost always) and have EV compensation set to -0.7 which helps with the over exposure.
2023-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules