Wind calm but Phantom 3 can't hold position
5641 17 2015-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

Hi folks,

Now I'm very new to this, only taken it up a few times and the longest being about 10 minutes but I took it up a few days ago in wind registering less than 10 mph but once it got up to about 150 feet it was being blown off course so much I brought it down again.   What I mean is that it would not remain stationary and I had to manually correct.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or any tips you may have.    Video below.

2015-8-31
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

make sure you are in gps mode. how many satellites do you get?
2015-8-31
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-1 14:34
make sure you are in gps mode. how many satellites do you get?

18 is what it said.
2015-8-31
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like you are in Atti or with a seriously bad IMU csalibration.. The little switch on the front of the controller, was it in P, A or F mode? Should be in P for GPS assisted flight.
paf.jpg
2015-8-31
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-1 15:25
Looks like you are in Atti or with a seriously bad IMU csalibration.. The little switch on the front ...

Its a great question because I don't know for sure.   I will be sure to check that thanks.

I did fly it today but did not check this setting and found a new issue.   Basically it would fly out about 100 feet from me but refused to go any further  No problem with elevation however.   It was really bright but I didn't see a problem on the tablet and no verbal warning.    If this switch was in the wrong position would it cause this problem too?
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

texmaster Posted at 2015-9-2 02:26
Its a great question because I don't know for sure.   I will be sure to check that thanks.

I did  ...

r u in beginner mode, or have u set a max distance in the settings?
2015-9-1
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-2 02:31
r u in beginner mode, or have u set a max distance in the settings?

I was but in the past when I went too high or too far it would verbally warn me and the second to last flight I had I went much further than I did this time.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

texmaster Posted at 2015-9-2 03:02
I was but in the past when I went too high or too far it would verbally warn me and the second to l ...

i suggest you check your max height and max distance settings. even with beginner mode disabled , if you have those settings set to a certain value then it is going to obey those values, after all it is a drone! and ive been told that drones follow the master's commands! LOL. Inside joke for a few guys who have followed my rants!!!
2015-9-1
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-2 03:43
i suggest you check your max height and max distance settings. even with beginner mode disabled ,  ...

I did check and yes I'm on P for the remote mode but you were absolutely right.  Even though I had turned off the beginner mode it still had locked in the distance.   Thank you for that.  
2015-9-1
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

And thank you to everyone else.   I'm going to try and sneak away again this week at lunch to mess around and see if I can figure out why I can't keep it stationary in low wind but this time I'm bringing my wind indicator to get a clear reading.

Here is the very boring very limiting footage I took today.

2015-9-1
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

You guys were absolutely right.    I took it out again today, same field this time with my wind indicator.   Never got past 8mph and with the restrictions lifted it flew like a champ!

BTW, do you guys set an altitude limit?  I know in the states the FAA says 400 so I have mine set to 350.
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

texmaster Posted at 2015-9-3 01:46
You guys were absolutely right.    I took it out again today, same field this time with my wind indi ...

the only time i was wrong is when i thought i had made a mistake!!
lol
2015-9-2
Use props
me
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

my p3 pro max altitude is set to 120m, see no reason to go higher than that for basic flight, in most cases i sit around 60m
with regards to your drifting make sure you do a good IMU calibration

make sure its flat, outside and with no movement like wind or kids jumping around when you do it, that will also help to keep it steady
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

me@kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-9-3 05:18
my p3 pro max altitude is set to 120m, see no reason to go higher than that for basic flight, in mos ...

why do u say imu to be done outside?
2015-9-2
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-2 13:41
the only time i was wrong is when i thought i had made a mistake!!
lol

Oh Brother!!....LOL
2015-9-2
Use props
me
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Main reason is less interference outside from house gadgets and wifi etc
2015-9-2
Use props
me
Second Officer
United Kingdom

You only need to do it if you have done a firmware update again. No reason to keep doing it, I always also run a compass calibration before every flight in a new location ( not each battery in same location ) make sure you are in flat surface for imu cal
2015-9-2
Use props
matiwerner14
lvl.1

Poland

Calibrate IMU
2015-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules