DJI Ronin Focus Motor controlled by PS4 remote
1717 12 2023-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, I have a SC, and wanted to control the focus motor using a PS4 remote. But I can't seem to be able to do so except I use the focus wheel. Is there a fix for this or will dji be enabling this in a future update?
2023-8-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience, May we know which PS4 remote you are using?
To use the PS4  remote to control the gimbal, please refer to the method below:
(1) The firmware version of the Ronin-SC should be v1.3.0.20 or later, and the version of the Ronin app should be v1.2.6 or later.
(2) When using the gaming controller to control the gimbal, the Ronin app should stay in the “Gaming Controller” page. If the Ronin app is switched to another page, been switched to the background, or the mobile device screen is locked, then this function cannot be used.
(3) For a gaming controller that has been connected to a mobile device before, if the Bluetooth is disconnected and needs to be reconnected, then press the controller’s power button and the mobile device will automatically connect to the controller. If the reconnection fails, then go to the mobile device’s Bluetooth page to forget the controller or cancel the current pairing and then try again.
(4) For a PS4 controller that has been connected to a mobile device before, you can use the USB cable that comes with the controller to your game console.
2023-8-28
Use props
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-28 03:32
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience, May we know which PS4 remote you are using?
To use the PS4  remote to control the gimbal, please refer to the method below:
(1) The firmware version of the Ronin-SC should be v1.3.0.20 or later, and the version of the Ronin app should be v1.2.6 or later.

Thanks for responding to my question.
I can control the pan and tilt functions of the gimbal, but wha tI would also like to control that isn't work is the focus motor. I have it connected using the correct cable and port but I not working, and yes I have configured the right joystick function to control the focus motor function in the app.
2023-8-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Babs J Posted at 8-29 22:47
Thanks for responding to my question.
I can control the pan and tilt functions of the gimbal, but wha tI would also like to control that isn't work is the focus motor. I have it connected using the correct cable and port but I not working, and yes I have configured the right joystick function to control the focus motor function in the app.

Thanks for your reply. When the focus motor is being connected, the gaming controller can only be used for pulling focus electronically and zooming in/out, but it cannot be used for controlling the rotation of the focus motor.
Would you please check if the information matches your issue?
2023-8-30
Use props
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-30 05:03
Thanks for your reply. When the focus motor is being connected, the gaming controller can only be used for pulling focus electronically and zooming in/out, but it cannot be used for controlling the rotation of the focus motor.

I would test and get back you but it sounds pretty accurate. So I assume the same is true for Ronin S?
2023-8-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Babs J Posted at 8-30 07:19
I would test and get back you but it sounds pretty accurate. So I assume the same is true for Ronin S?

Yes, it is suitable for DJI Ronin S.
2023-8-31
Use props
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-30 05:03
Thanks for your reply. When the focus motor is being connected, the gaming controller can only be used for pulling focus electronically and zooming in/out, but it cannot be used for controlling the rotation of the focus motor.

I did test this during the weekend and it worked amazingly well, thanks for that advice.
But it would be nice if DJI can patch up the app to make it possible to control the focus motor from a PS2 remote though. I would really pay for that update if necessary. Using third party remote significantly increase it range and allowed me to use it remotely as a PTZ head for my BMD Micro studio Camera. If someone can develop a plugin to enable it that would be great.
2023-9-20
Use props
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just learnt about the LIDAR Range Finder by dji, I can now understand why dji wont enable the focus motor control by third party control. Not sure id the LIDAR Range Finder would work with older S and SC 2 gimbals, if it doesn't then I ought to be looking at another solution.
2023-9-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Babs J Posted at 9-21 00:23
Just learnt about the LIDAR Range Finder by dji, I can now understand why dji wont enable the focus motor control by third party control. Not sure id the LIDAR Range Finder would work with older S and SC 2 gimbals, if it doesn't then I ought to be looking at another solution.

Currently, you can use the XBOX One and PS4/PS5 grip to control the Ronin-S/Ronin-SC.
About the DJI LiDAR, it can only be mounted and used on the DJI RS 3 Pro.
Your advice will be forwarded to our engineers for evaluation.
Thank you for your support and understanding.

2023-9-21
Use props
Babs J
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-21 03:27
Currently, you can use the XBOX One and PS4/PS5 grip to control the Ronin-S/Ronin-SC.
About the DJI LiDAR, it can only be mounted and used on the DJI RS 3 Pro.
Your advice will be forwarded to our engineers for evaluation.

Thanks for the reply but please note it's not just the control of the dji gimbal but also the ability to control the focus motor from a XBOX One or PS4/PS5 controller is the issue.
2023-9-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Babs J Posted at 9-21 13:24
Thanks for the reply but please note it's not just the control of the dji gimbal but also the ability to control the focus motor from a XBOX One or PS4/PS5 controller is the issue.

Currently, this function is not supported. We will forward it to our engineers for evaluation.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-22
Use props
Arkhamius
lvl.1

France

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-9-22 05:02
Currently, this function is not supported. We will forward it to our engineers for evaluation.

Hello,
What is the result transmitted by Dji engineers?

Having an RS3 and the focus motor, I have to go through a motor from another brand to have access to the zoom control.

It's a real shame not to be able to use the zoom control via a PS4/5 & Xbox controller although it is possible with the virtual joystick.

Thanks in advance for the response!
2-5 05:33
Use props
JMSimao
New
Flight distance : 187992 ft

Portugal

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-9-22 05:02

Any update on this?
Would be handy to have zoom working with the PS4 controller instead of adding another brand follow focus to the controller rig.
3-20 09:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules