Are you doubting Obstacle avoidance? Don't!
873 17 2023-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mattdean
lvl.1
Canada

So, I was in Strasbourg France and flying the drone to take some video of the cathedral. and, no, I wasn't flying over people, it was very early in the morning and no one around. I asked the police that were there if I could take video with the drone and they said it was ok.

Well, I lost connection with the remote and the drone starting to return to home point. Problem was, the tower is 66 feet higher than the drone's height limit and it was between the home point and the drone. I lost the feed and couldn't see what was going on. Well....the feed came back just as I saw the drone heading straight for the tower! I just about had a heart attack! The drone was set to brake, instead of avoid......Video is below.

2023-8-24
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

That gives heart a good exercise for few moments. It usually brakes just 2m before the building.
Ideally you should keep it on ByPass mode.
2023-8-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Matt. We appreciate you for sharing this video. We're glad that no incident happened to your unit during the flight and land it without any damage. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-8-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, super close call.  I always keep mine set to bypass.  
2023-8-25
Use props
Peeping Tom
lvl.1

Poland

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-24 19:10
Hi, Matt. We appreciate you for sharing this video. We're glad that no incident happened to your unit during the flight and land it without any damage. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Wait wait wait, but the manual for Mini 3 Pro doesnt state that it takes into consideration obstacle avoidance settings (bypass obstacle or stop). It it implicitly stated there that the RTH disregards whether youve set the bypass or stop option.
2023-8-25
Use props
Mattdean
lvl.1
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-25 03:49
Wow, super close call.  I always keep mine set to bypass.

I thought mine was too. I was surprised to see it was set to brake, but at least glad it was not off.
2023-8-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

In a (disconnect) RTH the OA is always ON, ON with Bypass mode!

As it did not made an avoid action (or it just started to do that) it looks like (just in time) you pulled back yourself at getting in connection again.

Only if a RTH is started < 50 meters away from HP than the RTH will stop seeing an obstacle and just hover in place   and wait  wait  wait   for pilot control again.
If connection is not restored than it will land at low battery power.

But why do i see 2x flying towards the tower, is is not the same shot twice....

cheers
JJB
2023-8-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mattdean Posted at 8-25 04:06
I thought mine was too. I was surprised to see it was set to brake, but at least glad it was not off.

Regardless of the setting it turned out well and no crash.  
2023-8-25
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

Wowsers.
I've started setting mine to Brake instead of Bypass, due to Ian in London's recent YouTube video.
Using it in Brake mode doesn't make the drone as "jerky".

1 min 20 secs into this video.

2023-8-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

You said there is no people around. It's the city, there is always people around. Very dangerous flying around tall buildings like that. It could of crash and then hit someone below injuring or even kill someone if hit on the head. This is why there are so many drones law now. Cause people flying recklessly. You trust your obstacles avoidance. It is not as good as you claim. I've seen many youtube videos of drones crashing into stuff even with OA on. Yeah, never trust it. It is just there as a backup.
2023-8-25
Use props
Mattdean
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 8-25 10:22
You said there is no people around. It's the city, there is always people around. Very dangerous flying around tall buildings like that. It could of crash and then hit someone below injuring or even kill someone if hit on the head. This is why there are so many drones law now. Cause people flying recklessly. You trust your obstacles avoidance. It is not as good as you claim. I've seen many youtube videos of drones crashing into stuff even with OA on. Yeah, never trust it. It is just there as a backup.

I hear you, but it was 6am in the morning and there was literally no one around. Not one soul in the area. I even asked a policeman if it was OK to fly and he said since no one was there it would be ok for a short flight. I wasn't flying over tall buildings. Only reason it was that high was because it was trying to return to home. Regardless, lesson learned.
2023-8-25
Use props
Mattdean
lvl.1
Canada

JJB* Posted at 8-25 04:22
Hi,

In a (disconnect) RTH the OA is always ON, ON with Bypass mode!

Thanks for the info. I was trying to back it off. It made the attempt twice before I got control again.
2023-8-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Peeping Tom Posted at 8-25 03:57
Wait wait wait, but the manual for Mini 3 Pro doesnt state that it takes into consideration obstacle avoidance settings (bypass obstacle or stop). It it implicitly stated there that the RTH disregards whether youve set the bypass or stop option.

Thank you for your response, Tom. It is stated that the user set the OA to "Brake". You may refer to page 17 of the user manual regarding Obstacle Avoidance During RTH for more information. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day.
2023-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I hope to never have to use it.
2023-10-23
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

MS Posted at 8-25 07:23
Wowsers.
I've started setting mine to Brake instead of Bypass, due to Ian in London's recent YouTube video.

Interesting. I never would have thought the OA setting would affect stability like that, considering that's not happening in an OA scenario, it doesn't seem to make sense.
Does the M3P do the same?
2023-10-24
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

MS Posted at 8-25 07:23
Wowsers.

I have had my Mini 4 Pro for about a week, and I have noticed this jerky behavior.  I will try changing the OA to brake and see what happens!
2023-10-24
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

It looks like a no fly zone to me. It just goes to prove that a drone operator should know more than a passing policeman.
2023-10-25
Use props
Mynah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3034081 ft
South Africa

smbishop Posted at 10-24 11:42
I have had my Mini 4 Pro for about a week, and I have noticed this jerky behavior.  I will try changing the OA to brake and see what happens!

Same here, I have resorted to selecting sport mode when doing a manual landing to 'calm' the response down and make it more manageable.  Sport mode is a quick way of switching OA off.  I'll definitely be trying the 'brake' option after watching Ian's video.  I'm convinced it will also work on the Mini 4 Pro.
2023-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules