8757 68 2023-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peterscache12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3009 ft

United States

Hello DJI representative,

I'd like to strongly request that the mobile SDK (MSDK5) be made compatible with the Air 3. I have not purchased this drone yet simply for this reason. I know many others are being pushed to buy Autel drones for the same reason.
The mini 3 pro has been made into a usable mapping drone because of SDK capability. I know DJI is trying to gatekeep mapping features to their more expensive Enterprise lineup, but the fact of the matter is that the consumer hardware is in fact capable of producing quality maps. I have seen such maps made with GCPs, and you would not be able to tell it was done with a DJI Mini.

1) Please add SDK support for Air 3.

Or,

2) Please add polygonal mission planning to the DJI Fly App. Waypoints is already 90% of the way there - but now we need automatic waypoint creation in a grid pattern, with timed camera triggering. The DJI fly app could do this pretty easily with a software update.

Thank you for your consideration.

(Submitting this post again as the first was locked as a draft).

2023-8-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will definitely be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-8-30
Use props
djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36860 ft

United States

I am highly interested in this. If the Air 3 has SDK support I will purchase it.

SDK support: Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Air, Air 2, Air 2s, Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro, and all Enterprise models.

No SDK Support (yet): Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Pro Cine, Air 3.

Imagine automated missions with a Mavic 3 or Air 3. It would be amazing! But they can't without SDK. Why does the new Mini 3 have SDK, but not the much more expensive Air 3 or Mavic 3?
2023-8-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2 Posted at 8-31 07:47
I am highly interested in this. If the Air 3 has SDK support I will purchase it.

SDK support: Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Air, Air 2, Air 2s, Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro, and all Enterprise models.

Because the Mavic 3 and Air 3 already have waypoints, cruise control and others.
2023-8-31
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2 Posted at 8-31 07:47

Mini 3 has SDK but what expansions have we seen that hugely improve it. Automated flight is already available for M3 and air 3.
2023-8-31
Use props
peterscache12
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-31 08:08
Because the Mavic 3 and Air 3 already have waypoints, cruise control and others.

Waypoints are nice, but are a pain to make mapping missions with. Even the Autel Evo II has polygonal mapping in their base flying app.
It is essentially waypoints, but automated. You define a rectangular area, and it will automatically create flight lines in a "lawnmower" pattern, and ensure that pictures are taken with a specified overlap for orthomosaic stitching into maps.

With DJI, you would basically need to define a waypoint camera action for every single picture taken (often in the hundreds for these missions), and hope that your flight lines have sufficient overlap as you're essentially creating it manually on a touch screen.
2023-9-1
Use props
peterscache12
lvl.1

United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-31 10:50
Mini 3 has SDK but what expansions have we seen that hugely improve it. Automated flight is already available for M3 and air 3.

If all you need it for is a single line path, there is very little improvement. But if you want to create maps in a grid pattern, it is very difficult to use. You end up needing hundreds of waypoints with how DJI Fly is currently set up.
I highly recommend checking out DroneDeploy, Dronelink, or mapsmadeeasy for more info about mapping, it's an interesting use-case for drones!
2023-9-1
Use props
djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2
lvl.1

United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-31 10:50

I think he's trying to describe something like this. Notice all the individual segments between photos you would have to plan using normal DJI Waypoints. BTW this picture is from Map Pilot Pro. It controls your DJI drone via SDK. I've used this mobile app, and it makes planning a mission like this take about 5 minutes
2023-9-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

peterscache12 Posted at 9-1 07:31
Waypoints are nice, but are a pain to make mapping missions with. Even the Autel Evo II has polygonal mapping in their base flying app.
It is essentially waypoints, but automated. You define a rectangular area, and it will automatically create flight lines in a "lawnmower" pattern, and ensure that pictures are taken with a specified overlap for orthomosaic stitching into maps.

You are right that third party apps are better in some ways. But DJI doesn't see it that way for a CONSUMER drone. The Enterprise models had SDK support from the beginning.
2023-9-1
Use props
djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-1 09:16
You are right that third party apps are better in some ways. But DJI doesn't see it that way for a CONSUMER drone. The Enterprise models had SDK support from the beginning.

But why is it only now that they don’t have support? Pretty much all of their consumer drones in the past have had support. And the mini 3 got support too.

$2k more for Enterprise seems a steep price to pay, especially when models like the air 2s can accomplish similar mapping missions to the M3E with the help of SDK.
2023-9-1
Use props
peterscache12
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2 Posted at 9-1 11:21
But why is it only now that they don’t have support? Pretty much all of their consumer drones in the past have had support. And the mini 3 got support too.

$2k more for Enterprise seems a steep price to pay, especially when models like the air 2s can accomplish similar mapping missions to the M3E with the help of SDK.

Agreed. The Air 2s probably has a better sensor for photogrammetry, but the Air 3's battery life would likely still make it a better mapping platform.
$1k for a solid mapping setup
2023-9-2
Use props
dvdrone
lvl.1

United States

Seconded.

I bought the Air 3 before I really knew the games DJI is playing vis a vis market segmentation.  The first and most important mission for the drone was to map some property I just bought so I could pass on the imagery to my architect to help in developing the site plan.  I was watching all the people on YT do mapping missions with their Mini 3 Pro and never even thought to question whether the bigger, better, MORE EXPENSIVE Air 3 would not have SDK support.  This is BS.

All I can say is I want SDK support for mapping missions AND/OR the ability to to do polygonal mission planning via DJI Fly (or better yet, FlightHub) pronto.  If this doesn't happen I will buy a drone that can do these things and I can assure you that DJI will not be on the receiving end of that transaction. I'm done supporting companies who want to be my business partner and drive me to so-called "enterprise" drones, when I'm not even in business.

It is not the job of DJI to dictate what I do with my hardware or to intentionally cripple it via software.  Drones should be differentiated / segmented on their physical attributes such as payload capability, i.e. the ability to carry a LIDAR sensor, etc. and not software features.  The Air 3 is more than capable of doing what I want.  All it needs is software support.

Get busy on supporting mapping missions or the Air 3 will be the last drone I purchase from you.
2023-9-15
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682438 ft
Spain

THE PROMISE ON NOVEMBER 2021:

AND THE CONFIRMATION OF THE BIGGEST LIE ON DJI HISTORY ON OCTOBER 2023:

¡¡¡DJI NEVER AGAIN!!!
2023-10-20
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

dvdrone Posted at 9-15 17:18
Seconded.

I bought the Air 3 before I really knew the games DJI is playing vis a vis market segmentation.  The first and most important mission for the drone was to map some property I just bought so I could pass on the imagery to my architect to help in developing the site plan.  I was watching all the people on YT do mapping missions with their Mini 3 Pro and never even thought to question whether the bigger, better, MORE EXPENSIVE Air 3 would not have SDK support.  This is BS.

This is a case of not doing enough homework before making a purchase.
2023-10-20
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

Freetime Posted at 10-20 08:21
This is a case of not doing enough homework before making a purchase.

I completely agree. As customers we are responsible to do an exhaustive research of the market before clicking the buy button, but it is also important to say that the market strategies followed by DJI are going worse day after day. (This massive segmentation of products needs a limit, because if not in several years I think that we are going to see two versions of the same drone, one for photo and another for video).

The best times for DJI were the Mavic 2/Mini 2 /Air 2S era. After that, its reputation between consumers is dangereously going down.

2023-10-25
Use props
djiuser_VIid6COwzi7b
New

Brazil

Fozando Posted at 10-25 11:18
I completely agree. As customers we are responsible to do an exhaustive research of the market before clicking the buy button, but it is also important to say that the market strategies followed by DJI are going worse day after day. (This massive segmentation of products needs a limit, because if not in several years I think that we are going to see two versions of the same drone, one for photo and another for video).

The best times for DJI were the Mavic 2/Mini 2 /Air 2S era. After that, its reputation between consumers is dangereously going down.
Tenho certeza que a Dji não vai deixar os consumidores que adquiriram o Air 3 por ser um drone de excelência em qualidade e tempo de bateria para poder utilizá-los na área Agrícola o qual liberando o SDK vai vender muito. Obrigado.
2023-11-5
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

djiuser_VIid6COwzi7b Posted at 11-5 10:13
Tenho certeza que a Dji não vai deixar os consumidores que adquiriram o Air 3 por ser um drone de excelência em qualidade e tempo de bateria para poder utilizá-los na área Agrícola o qual liberando o SDK vai vender muito. Obrigado.

I assure you at 999% that DJI isn't going to release the SDK for the Air3, Mavic 3 and the forthcoming drones in the future.
We have to accept it unfortunatelly.
2023-11-6
Use props
swoermck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 948996 ft
Germany

peterscache12 Posted at 9-1 07:34
If all you need it for is a single line path, there is very little improvement. But if you want to create maps in a grid pattern, it is very difficult to use. You end up needing hundreds of waypoints with how DJI Fly is currently set up.
I highly recommend checking out DroneDeploy, Dronelink, or mapsmadeeasy for more info about mapping, it's an interesting use-case for drones!

yesterday I tested a workaround, not perfect but at least I didn't have to create a waypoint for every picture:
  • using dronelink, I marked the area I wanted to map (as I was also using my old Mavic Air 2 for comparsion - and the MA2 is supported by dronelink)
  • for my settings in dronelinks (front/side overlap 80%), dronelink calculated a mission with 68 pictures in total
  • now the tough part: on the DJI RC2 controller, I created a waypoint mission matching as close as possible the path which dronlink created, with Gimbal: -90 degree, speed 4 m/s, flight height: 70m
  • And the part which makes matters worse: dji is always smoothing out the path, so I needed more waypoints to mimic the dronelink path:

Air3Waypoints.jpg

- for that DJI calculated a flight time of 4min 28sec, in which I had to take 68 photos (calculated by dronelink): but instead of plotting a waypoint for each and every photo, I calculated how often I have to take a photo during the flight: 268 sec total flight time: taking a photo every 4 sec will give a total of 67 photos during the flight - close to the number dronelink calculated for accurate mapping

- now out in the field, I started the Air 3 to the waypoint height (70m), left camera settings at defaults (Auto), put the gimbal down
- and started TIMED SHOTS: set it to take photos every 4 sec (as calculated before), started the timed shots AND THEN started the waypoint mission
- at the end of the mission I stopped TIMED SHOTS - and got all the photos I needed

- And for comparison I let the Mavic Air 2 do the same mission controlled by Dronelink

Result?
- Mavic Air 2 did as instructed by Dronelink, but some photos were a bit blurry (maybe due to the not optimal light conditions?)
- Air 3 photos ALL perfect!

Now the interesting part: will WebODM be able to stich my waypoint photos together?
Perfect!!! No issues at all, and the resulting rendering is almost identical with the one created with pictures from the MA2 (controlled by Dronelink)

And as you can imagine, due to some blurry photos from the MA2 (still not sure why this happened), the result from the Air 3 photos is blowing the MA2 result away!!!

This workaround is maybe not as convenient as drawing a rectangel in Dronelink, but at least you don't have to plot a waypoint for every photo! And for the ones using the Air 3 with the RC-N2 controller and e.g. an iPad, depending on the size of the iPad drawing the mission is maybe easier that way.

Hope this helps!

2023-11-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

swoermck Posted at 11-13 14:52
yesterday I tested a workaround, not perfect but at least I didn't have to create a waypoint for every picture:
  • using dronelink, I marked the area I wanted to map (as I was also using my old Mavic Air 2 for comparsion - and the MA2 is supported by dronelink)

• Check this video linked to by forum member Forzando. Set the subtitles to your preferred language, it is in Spanish.
    2023-11-13
    Use props
    djiuser_7SO3Pt8bqgB8
    lvl.1

United States

swoermck Posted at 11-13 14:52

• Very helpful - thank you!
    2023-11-14
    Use props
    fans34267ca0
    lvl.2

Denmark

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-31 08:08

The problem with using the controller is that you cannot fly in a straight line between four way points without it rounding off the corners.
    2023-11-15
    Use props
    Fozando
    lvl.4
    Spain

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-13 18:00
    Check this video linked to by forum member Forzando. Set the subtitles to your preferred language, it is in Spanish.
    https://youtu.be/yMWZzAaAUSg

Thanks for the credits Mobilehomer
    2023-11-21
    Use props
    Wyldwestaz10
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 1099068 ft
    United States

Makes no sense at all. Both Mini 3’s have the SDK and are currently being used by Dronelink pilots and are not Enterprise drones. Also why is DJI giving out info on the future release of the SDK for the mini 4 sometime mid next year. We need to keep requesting they continue supporting all drones.
    2023-11-28
    Use props
    djiuser_XcGf1TOrQHmV
    lvl.1

Indonesia

I was very happy when I bought the DJI Air 3, but when I needed it for mapping I couldn't do it with the Air 3 and I was very disappointed. maybe if dji releases an SDK for the air 3 I will be very happy because I don't have to buy a new drone anymore
    2023-12-4
    Use props
    DJI Paladin
    Administrator

djiuser_XcGf1TOrQHmV Posted at 12-4 17:05
    I was very happy when I bought the DJI Air 3, but when I needed it for mapping I couldn't do it with the Air 3 and I was very disappointed. maybe if dji releases an SDK for the air 3 I will be very happy because I don't have to buy a new drone anymore

Hi there. This is not the experience we want you to have. We will continue to record such feedback and ensure that it reaches our related team. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We hope this will be considered soon. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

2023-12-5
    Use props
    djiuser_9YJcIGYwNJnu
    New

United States

I’d very much encourage DJI to make this available for this specific consumer drone. It was the reason I purchased the Air 3, hoping a SDK would be pushed out shortly after its release due to its capabilities succeeding the Air2S.
    2023-12-14
    Use props
    djiuser_fHKqKiL9M6hx
    New

United States

I also want to add my voice to disappointment felt when I purchased the Air 3 and realizing that it is not compatible with drone mapping/flight planning software that can be used for many older models.  Extreme disappointment.  We shelved the unit for a few months back in September hoping the issue had time to be resolved.  I see that it has not.  This too is disappointing and means we probably will look elsewhere for future drones and I will have to dissuade others in the markets. The Air 3 seemed like a good deal at the time but it was not.  I hope dji releases the sdk soon so it can get some practical use and get back on our recommended list
    2023-12-17
    Use props
    Fozando
    lvl.4
    Spain

djiuser_fHKqKiL9M6hx Posted at 12-17 00:22
    I also want to add my voice to disappointment felt when I purchased the Air 3 and realizing that it is not compatible with drone mapping/flight planning software that can be used for many older models.  Extreme disappointment.  We shelved the unit for a few months back in September hoping the issue had time to be resolved.  I see that it has not.  This too is disappointing and means we probably will look elsewhere for future drones and I will have to dissuade others in the markets. The Air 3 seemed like a good deal at the time but it was not.  I hope dji releases the sdk soon so it can get some practical use and get back on our recommended list

Don't keep any hope. Air3, Mavic 3 and the forthcoming drones, with the exception of the Mini 4 Pro, are never going to have its SDK released. DJI has confirmed it.
    2023-12-17
    Use props
    djiuser_BlshiG5MMJkh
    New

Indonesia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-8-30 17:52
    Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will definitely be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Up.. i hope dji air 3 can mapping
    1-16 10:53
    Use props
    djiuser_BlshiG5MMJkh
    New

Indonesia

djiuser_M0CWOe0bOXm2 Posted at 2023-9-1 07:43
    [view_image]

I think he's trying to describe something like this. Notice all the individual segments between photos you would have to plan using normal DJI Waypoints. BTW this picture is from Map Pilot Pro. It controls your DJI drone via SDK. I've used this mobile app, and it makes planning a mission like this take about 5 minutes

UP.. I HOPE DJI AIR 3 CAN MAPPING
    1-16 10:57
    Use props
    Fozando
    lvl.4
    Spain

djiuser_BlshiG5MMJkh Posted at 1-16 10:57
    UP.. I HOPE DJI AIR 3 CAN MAPPING

That is not going to happen unfortunatelly. DJI is only going to release the SDK for the Mini series talking about consumer drones and then for the Enterprise series, of course.

Don't keep any hope, on Air/Mavic series isn't going to happen anymore. DJI has confirmed it in other posts of the forum.
    1-16 11:37
    Use props
    DJI Paladin
    Administrator

djiuser_BlshiG5MMJkh Posted at 1-16 10:53
    Up.. i hope dji air 3 can mapping

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Air 3 does not support the mapping feature via the DJI fly app. If you need an aircraft to perform aerial surveying or mapping, we highly recommend you purchase the Enterprise series of drones on our website to avoid any issues. We appreciate your understanding and support.
    1-17 23:20
    Use props
    RHartbrich
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 34718 ft
    Germany

There's a tool to create automated waypoints for drone mapping and photogrammetry with the air 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rykqdTXFR8Y

and here is the page with the tool itself:
    https://www.waypointmap.com/
    1-18 02:18
    Use props
    wokki_loki
    New

Luxembourg

I bought this expecting to have sdk in future updates but it has been an incredible disappointment for me...
    2-8 06:18
    Use props
    djiuser_UL2qiAAm4PQb
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 124603 ft

Brazil

I have used my DJI AIR 2S for mapping for a long time, a great drone.
    Im just waiting DJI AIR 3 SDK be released to buy this new drone.
    2-19 08:43
    Use props
    DJI Tony
    Administrator

wokki_loki Posted at 2-8 06:18
    I bought this expecting to have sdk in future updates but it has been an incredible disappointment for me...

I understand the importance of this request. DJI has not yet announced any plans about the Air 3 SDK support. Your concern will be forwarded to the relevant team to provide them with feedback. For any news, please visit the https://developer.dji.com/. We appreciate your patience.
    2-20 00:54
    Use props
    DJI Tony
    Administrator

djiuser_UL2qiAAm4PQb Posted at 2-19 08:43
    I have used my DJI AIR 2S for mapping for a long time, a great drone.
    Im just waiting DJI AIR 3 SDK be released to buy this new drone.

We appreciate your interest. The DJI Air 3 currently does not support SDK. Rest assured this will be forwarded to the relevant team for evaluation. We appreciate your patience.
    2-20 00:55
    Use props
    Carlos Mauricio Rodriguez
    New

Colombia

Ojalá que puedan Liberar el SDK del Air 3 ya que no es Justo que no podamos trabajar con las APP de planeación de vuelo.
    2-28 11:56
    Use props
    djiuser_jDlQTHmbErHi
    lvl.2

United States

This is so disappointing...I upgraded from the DJI Air to the Air 3....because I couldn't buy batteries for the Air any more....and because the Air 3 has RID built in!!!!

I've been using my Air with Dronedeploy...because I have to use Dronedeploy for mapping Jobs!   So now I can't use the Air anymore because it doesn't have RID....and I'm not going to spend $$$ on an aftermarket RID puck for it since I can't buy batteries for it anymore!

There is no reason to buy an expensive/big  Mavic 3 enterprise when the Air 3 does everything twice as good as my old Air did and virtually as good as the Mavic 3.

Why would you release the SDK for the Mini 4 pro and not the Air 3!?!?  the Air 3 came out before the mini 4....
    I could have chosen to buy a cheep mini 3 pro and could have used it with Dronedeploy....but I decided that I needed and wanted the latest and best bang for the buck that would have the best size vs battery life vs range...so I decided to go with a much more $$$$ option....to get the most longevity.

I had to pass on doing a job today because I couldn't use Dronedeploy with this drone!!

This drone will become a huge waste if the SDK dosn't become available for it...just a toy...

What is your alternative non enterprise level mapping solution for this drone for independent contractors going forward? I'm currently dead in the water!

Thanks!
    3-7 14:16
    Use props
    djiuser_sraKtaJt7suY
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 171572 ft
    United States

I to would love to fly KML missions with my Air 3. I really hate to think I have to stay with Litchi and my Mini 2 for these flights.
    3-7 18:36
    Use props
    12Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules