851 19 2023-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ken Heron claims RID has been cancelled/postponed for now.  I haven't been able to verify this anywhere.  Has anyone else heard anything?

2023-9-1
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not surprised not much on the media outlets mentioning much about RID these days, mostly politics, conflict, sanctions, ...ty economy LOL.

I'm curious about the china ban on drone parts, that is suppose to go into affect today.
2023-9-1
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Elephant Apocalypse Posted at 9-1 19:18
Not surprised not much on the media outlets mentioning much about RID these days, mostly politics, conflict, sanctions, ...ty economy LOL.

I'm curious about the china ban on drone parts, that is suppose to go into affect today.

Yeah I just heard about that from Joshua Bardwell's channel.  That will cause prices to skyrocket for any existing stock, ugh.
2023-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not that ive seen anywhere yet.  
2023-9-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not surprised a bit, especially since most FAA approved add on modules are currently out of stock.  
2023-9-2
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Our Federal government at its' best. Shouldn't be too surprising really.
2023-9-2
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-1 19:25
Yeah I just heard about that from Joshua Bardwell's channel.  That will cause prices to skyrocket for any existing stock, ugh.

Yea I heard mostly T motor and will trickle down.  Checked Get FPV and Pyrodrone and other sites, so far prices hasn't reflected anything yet.  Not like I plan on stock piling anything anytime soon, just gotta be more careful and less crash happy stunts LOL, especially now knowing the replacement might never arrive.
2023-9-2
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-2 06:24
Our Federal government at its' best. Shouldn't be too surprising really.

What bugs me most, besides everything else with RID, is that I have to buy a new one for each drone I have to be legal under 107.  Some of the modules cost more than the drone itself.  
2023-9-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, A1C. Let us confirm this with our relevant team. We'll let you know once we receive feedback from them. Thank you.
2023-9-2
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So if someone is in a car or in the bushes freestyling a drone, without the module no one can track where the pilot is?
2023-9-2
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Elephant Apocalypse Posted at 9-2 10:21
So if someone is in a car or in the bushes freestyling a drone, without the module no one can track where the pilot is?

The stupidity with remote id is that the people that want to do harm, will build their own without a module and do whatever illegal thing they want, like going into an MLB game, and never get caught.

Will there be a few "script kiddies" with bind and fly and do dumb stuff and get caught because of RID?  Sure, enough for people to say "see it works" blah blah.

Personally, I don't think RID will be much of an issue from the Karen perspective.  How many of them are technical enough to figure this out.  Plus from my understanding most modules won't work with iPhone because of wifi security, and that probably eliminates 80% of Karen's lol.

Don't get me wrong, I hate it, and think it's an invasion of privacy, etc, and will solve none of the purported issues they think it will solve.  Maybe there should be a rule that all government vehicles should be tracked because we as taxpayers should know where they go.
2023-9-2
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-2 08:18
What bugs me most, besides everything else with RID, is that I have to buy a new one for each drone I have to be legal under 107.  Some of the modules cost more than the drone itself.

I'm right there with you. Don't buy anything at the moment.
2023-9-3
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-3 10:56
I'm right there with you. Don't buy anything at the moment.

What's probably going to happen once this becomes official, is that demand for modules will drop like a rock, and I'm sure suppliers have put in a bunch of orders that can't be stopped now so they will have no choice but to drop the price.

If the price is reasonable, I'm looking at this one (https://www.flitetest.com/pages/ez_id), that seems to allow gps to pass on to the FC.
2023-9-3
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-2 16:45
The stupidity with remote id is that the people that want to do harm, will build their own without a module and do whatever illegal thing they want, like going into an MLB game, and never get caught.

Will there be a few "script kiddies" with bind and fly and do dumb stuff and get caught because of RID?  Sure, enough for people to say "see it works" blah blah.

A very good point about karens and technologically knowledgable.

Only time I ran into a karen was some old tombstone elderly saying I was disturbing the peace at some park, to his defense my drone is loud AOS 5 lol.  But not annoying to the level of how he made it sound, like I spent my entire flight flying over his head or something; just old and wanted something to complain about.
2023-9-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-3 12:19
What's probably going to happen once this becomes official, is that demand for modules will drop like a rock, and I'm sure suppliers have put in a bunch of orders that can't be stopped now so they will have no choice but to drop the price.

If the price is reasonable, I'm looking at this one (https://www.flitetest.com/pages/ez_id), that seems to allow gps to pass on to the FC.

is that module FAA certified?
2023-9-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, A1C. Thank you for patiently waiting. Our relevant team has not received such news yet. It is recommended to pay attention to the FAA news. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-9-3
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-3 16:03

That's what I want to know.  I looked at the FAA compliance page and couldn't see anything for them.  I would assume they will once they start selling since that is what the device is for.

At 10grams it's the lightest one I could find so far.  I fear that with the integrated gps, bluetooth, and proprietary code, which means they also have software dev overhead this may not be cheap.

I saved the page and waiting for FAA compliance and price info.
2023-9-3
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Elephant Apocalypse Posted at 9-3 15:43
A very good point about karens and technologically knowledgable.

Only time I ran into a karen was some old tombstone elderly saying I was disturbing the peace at some park, to his defense my drone is loud AOS 5 lol.  But not annoying to the level of how he made it sound, like I spent my entire flight flying over his head or something; just old and wanted something to complain about.

I'm studying for my 107 right now, and once I get it I will have a sign next to me that will say something to the effect "FAA Certified Commercial Pilot.  Conducting an authorized flight".  Or something to that effect.  

If that doesn't stop them, you can say it is illegal to interfere during a flight and call the cops if you have an issue.

I've heard several people say that usually stops them in their tracks.

I also have my camera on a tripod pointing at me just in case I need the evidence.

2023-9-3
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-3 16:03

I found out from Josh Bardwell's discord (he has one) that the price will be $99 and will be open for sale soon.  Not as steep of a price as I thought it would be, but not cheap either.
2023-9-4
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 9-3 19:31
I'm studying for my 107 right now, and once I get it I will have a sign next to me that will say something to the effect "FAA Certified Commercial Pilot.  Conducting an authorized flight".  Or something to that effect.  

If that doesn't stop them, you can say it is illegal to interfere during a flight and call the cops if you have an issue.

Luckily never had one approach me, just loudly mumbling nonsense from that grumpy old man.  One time a jogger asked politely not to hit her with my drone LOL yes she actually asked that.  Clearly she was traumatized by a past incident; I reassured her I avoid flying near/ over people like the plague lol.

If some karen approaches me, I'll just flip my drone to RTH and pepper spray in that direction lol
2023-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules