Mavic 3 Airsense ADS-B technical details
1013 12 2023-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matthewbennett
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66086 ft
Spain

Hi, just filling out a flight plan for (very) controlled airspace in southern Spain. The standard form has some choices for communications equipment and ADS-B sets. There are some references to ADS-B and the Mavic 3 on YouTube and Google, but struggling to find anything official....I think they're really after ADS-B transmitters for ATC purposes, but...
1) Is Mavic 3 Airsense an ADS-B receiver..?
2) What frequency does it work on?

Best from Spain,

2023-9-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, Mattew. Thank you for your inquiry. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you for your patience.
2023-9-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for patiently waiting. Please refer to the answer below for the following question that you posted. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

1) Is Mavic 3 Airsense an ADS-B receiver? Yes, the aircraft with an ADS-B function only receives the flight information broadcasted by the manned aircraft with an ADS-B transmitter. For manned aircraft not mounted with an ADS-B transmitter or for manned aircraft that have been mounted with an ADS-B transmitter but the transmitter fails, the system cannot receive the broadcast information or send you an alert.
2) What frequency does it work on?  The ADS-B receiver needs to use the wireless frequency band to receive flight information. For the details of the frequency, we are unable to provide.
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the airspace is controlled, then the air traffic controllers are in charge of directing aircraft. (That's what controlled means)

Sounds counterintuitive, but I would be turning off my ADS-B for a flight if the airspace was next to an airport. You will end up with so many false warnings that it may ultimately distract you. The ADS-B system will be going off all the time.

ATC will be the ones to control where aircraft are, and so long as you stick to your flight plan, your drone and general aviation will stay separated and there will be nothing to worry about. You don't need alarms going off all the time to distract you when you need to be focusing on other things.
2023-9-7
Use props
matthewbennett
lvl.2
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-7 02:21
Thank you for patiently waiting. Please refer to the answer below for the following question that you posted. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

1) Is Mavic 3 Airsense an ADS-B receiver? Yes, the aircraft with an ADS-B function only receives the flight information broadcasted by the manned aircraft with an ADS-B transmitter. For manned aircraft not mounted with an ADS-B transmitter or for manned aircraft that have been mounted with an ADS-B transmitter but the transmitter fails, the system cannot receive the broadcast information or send you an alert.

Ok, thank you Paladin, good information.
2023-9-7
Use props
matthewbennett
lvl.2
Spain

CloudVisual Posted at 9-7 02:25
If the airspace is controlled, then the air traffic controllers are in charge of directing aircraft. (That's what controlled means)

Sounds counterintuitive, but I would be turning off my ADS-B for a flight if the airspace was next to an airport. You will end up with so many false warnings that it may ultimately distract you. The ADS-B system will be going off all the time.

Right, Cloud, so now I've gone through the whole process here in Spain, it all seems a bit excessive to put a drone 50m above some nice real estate. The place in question this time is covered by military CTR, military restricted area and needs Home Office/Police approval because it's in an urban area (in Spain, you can't just rock up to a built up area and put your drone up to take photos).

I'll see how it goes with the number of planes. It's not Heathrow, just a few regional flights and some military things.

Having said that, more safety of course is always better, to a point. Warnings are good, and the new firmware update with sensor cameras and things could be very helpful.
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

matthewbennett Posted at 9-7 02:31
Right, Cloud, so now I've gone through the whole process here in Spain, it all seems a bit excessive to put a drone 50m above some nice real estate. The place in question this time is covered by military CTR, military restricted area and needs Home Office/Police approval because it's in an urban area (in Spain, you can't just rock up to a built up area and put your drone up to take photos).

I'll see how it goes with the number of planes. It's not Heathrow, just a few regional flights and some military things.

Sure, I understand there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get the clearances, I just think the ADS-B might not be needed.

Don't forget to unlock your flight plan in the DJI Fly Safe
https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock/unlock-request/list  
2023-9-7
Use props
matthewbennett
lvl.2
Spain

CloudVisual Posted at 9-7 02:36
Sure, I understand there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get the clearances, I just think the ADS-B might not be needed.

Don't forget to unlock your flight plan in the DJI Fly Safe

Well done, good job, thanks for reminding me about that, still need to do it.
2023-9-7
Use props
loic2665
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1636542 ft
France

Hi,

If I am not mistaken ADS-B frequency is 1090 Mhz (it's a standard) and now a new 978 Mhz freq. exists, but I'm not sure if the Mavic 3 use it. (the only difference is the fact that in the 978 Mhz all data is sent in one shot and the 1090 protocol send the odd or even bits)

In nearly all cases you should be safe if planes nearby does have ADS-B out transsiver, and you enabled the ADS-B in receiver, you should have no problem receiving these kinds of informations.
If you want to be extra safe you can enable alert for low, medium, high risk collision of planes that transmit ADS-B.

Here is a video of demo (not mine) :

Loïc
2023-9-7
Use props
matthewbennett
lvl.2
Spain

loic2665 Posted at 9-7 04:25
Hi,

If I am not mistaken ADS-B frequency is 1090 Mhz (it's a standard) and now a new 978 Mhz freq. exists, but I'm not sure if the Mavic 3 use it. (the only difference is the fact that in the 978 Mhz all data is sent in one shot and the 1090 protocol send the odd or even bits)

Thank you Loic.
2023-9-7
Use props
Skydoggy
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-7 02:21

1) Is Mavic 3 Airsense an ADS-B receiver? Yes, the aircraft with an ADS-B function only receives the flight information broadcasted by the manned aircraft with an ADS-B transmitter. For manned aircraft not mounted with an ADS-B transmitter or for manned aircraft that have been mounted with an ADS-B transmitter but the transmitter fails, the system cannot receive the broadcast information or send you an alert.

Can you at least confirm whether the DJI ADS-B AirSense system will receive Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) transmissions, as well as 1090ES?  
2023-9-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

matthewbennett Posted at 9-7 02:27
Ok, thank you Paladin, good information.

You are most welcome, Matthew. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Skydoggy Posted at 9-8 08:56
Can you at least confirm whether the DJI ADS-B AirSense system will receive Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) transmissions, as well as 1090ES?

Thank you for joining this thread. Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I sent you a PM, kindly please check. Thank you.
2023-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules