SDK release and waypoint missions in DJI Fly app
619 13 2023-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grubbsbe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11181 ft
United States

Really disappointed in DJI for not releasing SDK for this model and for not supporting waypoint missions in the official DJI fly app. I bought this drone as a student on a budget with the intent of creating orthomosaic maps, which requires autonomous flight planning. Boooo

2023-9-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

As a student, you learned a valuable life lesson. RESEARCH before spending money!!! Hopefully, this lesson takes hold.
2023-9-9
Use props
grubbsbe
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-9 08:54
As a student, you learned a valuable life lesson. RESEARCH before spending money!!! Hopefully, this lesson takes hold.

Was it unreasonable for me to expect there to be flight planning support? And why are you being a jerk?
2023-9-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

grubbsbe Posted at 9-9 08:56
Was it unreasonable for me to expect there to be flight planning support? And why are you being a jerk?

I am not being a jerk, Yes, you are being unreasonable. As I said RESEARCH BEFORE SPENDING!!! If you had, you would have found the lack of SDK support. Grow up.
2023-9-9
Use props
grubbsbe
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-9 09:01
I am not being a jerk, Yes, you are being unreasonable. As I said RESEARCH BEFORE SPENDING!!! If you had, you would have found the lack of SDK support. Grow up.

No need to be all high and mighty. Calm down.
2023-9-9
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

grubbsbe Posted at 9-9 09:08
No need to be all high and mighty. Calm down.

We as drone owners all went through doing the research on a drone of interest before buying, or not
buying a product.
So if an SDK is not available on a drone of interest,the shopper should know all of this before making a
purchase.If not there is no one to blame but themselves.
2023-9-9
Use props
grubbsbe
lvl.1
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-9 11:37
We as drone owners all went through doing the research on a drone of interest before buying, or not
buying a product.
So if an SDK is not available on a drone of interest,the shopper should know all of this before making a

Yeah, I do have to admit that its my fault, but as a first time drone buyer how was I supposed to know? The "DJI Mini 2" has these capabilities, and I bought the Mini 2 SE 3 months ago when it was very now. DJI definitely has the resources to release the SDK but for some reason doesn't seem to be in a rush to. I am also not the only owner of the Mini 2 SE posting on here who were bummed to find out about this issue, but really like this drone otherwise. So I mean yes this is a learning experience and I goofed on it, but it doesn't really excuse DJI from not making these things available.
2023-9-9
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5152533 ft
  • >>>
United States

Take a look at maps made easy the mini 2 se isn't on their list but some people say it works for ortho mosaics. The have a software product that will probably get the mapping done.  You might be able to use Map pilot pro which goes with it. https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com

In the future look at the future capabilities of the drone you purchase. The mini 2 SE is a great little drone ,but it is made for someone to master the basics, and it sounds like you have done that.

There is no room for additional memory to do the things you want it to do.  Be grateful that you have learned and you accomplished something worthwhile with it.
2023-9-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 2 SE does not support SDK feature. For the latest news and updates, you may subscribed to our official website at https://www.dji.com/global. Thank you for your valued support.  
2023-9-9
Use props
djiuser_i7nH823Q0XQw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1397989 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't worry I brought a Mavic 3 without doing my homework ( silly me) no SDK release their either.

I can create 3D models and terrain aware photogrammetry with my Mini 1(worth about $300) but can't do anything with the Mavic 3( worth $2500)

2023-9-10
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_i7nH823Q0XQw Posted at 9-10 04:49
Don't worry I brought a Mavic 3 without doing my homework ( silly me) no SDK release their either.

I can create 3D models and terrain aware photogrammetry with my Mini 1(worth about $300) but can't do anything with the Mavic 3( worth $2500)

Sad but true. I guess the Phantom series gave us too much for the money.  Most would purch a Phantom 5 if they came out with one. I haven't bought into the 3 series yet. I actually considered going with Autel for an RTK enterprise model. It seems like i'm giving up too much between no SDK, no payload switching and not getting a drone that does great cinema  if I buy enterprise. But they are exiting the consumer drone business. I can't trust that either. The technique used is called disruptive technology and it's very effective in making you keep buying until the consumer has had enough. It's happening to Apple now. Many Apple users are getting fed up.
2023-9-10
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-10 06:02
I agree with your statement but I do take issue with one point that seems to be a common reason listed for why the Mini series lacks certain features.  That is "lack of memory" or processing power.

A 10-year old Phantom 2 (any model) had sufficient  memory & processing power to support things like uploading waypoints for autonomous flight.  During the following 10 years memory has gotten cheaper & smaller.  The same applies to the processor & related chips.  Open up a Phantom 2 & compare the hodgepodge of discrete circuit boards & components vs. any Mini.  I suggest ANY current DJI drone, including the Minis, possess far more processing power & memory than a Phantom 2 or P3 from the past.  Yet all of those older birds easily supported upload of complex Waypoint missions.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons. I haven't bought into the M3 line yet. Waiting to see what the Air 3S will offer and if it's worth the upgrade. Looking at an enterprise type drone but the M#E has many drawbacks. No SDK, No payload switching to thermal and I'm not crazy about the sensor size for the money. It seems like with every move up we give up something.
2023-9-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 9-10 06:18
I'm sure there are multiple reasons. I haven't bought into the M3 line yet. Waiting to see what the Air 3S will offer and if it's worth the upgrade. Looking at an enterprise type drone but the M#E has many drawbacks. No SDK, No payload switching to thermal and I'm not crazy about the sensor size for the money. It seems like with every move up we give up something.

Yes, the M3E models DO have SDK support. Just not the 3, Cine or Classic.
2023-9-10
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-10 06:48
Yes, the M3E models DO have SDK support. Just not the 3, Cine or Classic.

Good to know.
2023-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules