United States

2023-9-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice to see the night mode on the Air 3 working so well.  
2023-9-10
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75194 ft
United States

Yep. I’ve seen a couple night fights and these newer stacked sensors work great especially the F1.7 aperture.
2023-9-10
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Is not good, as is making a lot of softening and artefacts. If you use it on close objects, you will be dissapointed.

Best for night is HLG, max ISO, 25 FPS, 1/25 SS....and denoised in post...will give you a much better detail and will not add that horrible blur and artefacts.

Would be best from DJI to LEAVE US SET ISO AT 12.000 WITHOUT THAT DUMB NOISE REDUCTION !!
Cheers.
2023-9-10
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting video
2023-9-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks great at night.  
2023-9-11
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 843950 ft
United States

With the Marriot in the distance, it looks like you are flying in the USA…  

So, it looks like in your excitement to fly your drone at night; you forgot the that the FAA requires strobe-capable lights under FAR 107.29, which states that they must be visible from 3 statute miles away and strobe at a rate of 40-100 cycles per minute.  

And if you are an anti-RIDer, this is why the FAA is coming down so hard on the rest of us…  

2023-9-11
Use props
djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7230000 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh no, you don’t have anywhere near 26 minutes of flight time left at 52% battery. Lol.
2023-9-12
Use props
Mirek 22
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3529747 ft
Italy

interesting video, even in the dark it's great to see.

2023-9-14
Use props
lleroy30
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81083 ft
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 9-11 12:58
  So, it looks like in your excitement to fly your drone at night; you forgot the that the FAA requires strobe-capable lights under FAR 107.29, which states that they must be visible from 3 statute miles away and strobe at a rate of 40-100 cycles per minute.  
  And if you are an anti-RIDer, this is why the FAA is coming down so hard on the rest of us…  

What you the Drone police?
2023-9-15
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

lleroy30@icloud.com Posted at 9-15 05:29
What you the Drone police?

I am sorry to see your posting; from your snide remark, "What you the Drone police?", I infer that you endorse this type of "wild-west" drone flying where the rules and regulations that govern the safety of flight only applies to the "other guy…"

Most drone pilots do not want RID, me included, yet "cowboys" who fly their drones willy-nilly without regard to the safety of others are the reason it was enacted.

2023-9-15
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

And if you are an anti-RIDer, this is why the FAA is coming down so hard on the rest of us…  

Believe it or not, recreational does NOT require strobes of any kind to fly at night.

https://www.federalregister.gov/ ... f-unmanned-aircraft

2023-9-15
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-15 11:40
Believe it or not, recreational does NOT require strobes of any kind to fly at night.

https://www.federalregister.gov/ ... f-unmanned-aircraft

My aren't you "hunting and pecking" loop-holes…  True, you found the loop-hole that drones can fly at night, but they are required to have lighting...   

If I used your superficial googling of the rules, I probably could fly a jet fighter… But for me to fly a jet fighter, there are a "few" rules I would have to follow, like get a pilot's license, get jet certified, etc…

The same applies to flying a drone at night…  all Part 107 licensed Pilots and Recreational Pilots who have completed the TRUST and registered their drone if required (weighs more than 250 grams…) may fly at night…  and these are just the rule for the pilot, there are also rules concerning the drone…

The rules for flying a drone at night are in § 107.29 "Operation at night."  And this is the Federal Law

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight (from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour prior to sunrise) unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision.

I expect your next argument to be, "It's in the Constitution…"

I only want folks to follow the rules and regulations so we are all safe…

2023-9-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoudThunder Posted at 9-15 14:23
My aren't you "hunting and pecking" loop-holes…  True, you found the loop-hole that drones can fly at night, but they are required to have lighting...   

If I used your superficial googling of the rules, I probably could fly a jet fighter… But for me to fly a jet fighter, there are a "few" rules I would have to follow, like get a pilot's license, get jet certified, etc…

Thats only if youre flying part 107, i assume Mobilehomer is referring to rec flying
2023-10-1
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-1 05:32
Thats only if youre flying part 107, i assume Mobilehomer is referring to rec flying

The FAA no longer requires an authorization for a drone to fly at night in uncontrolled airspace, be they Recreational or Part 107 Licensed Pilots.  However, the FAA requires all drone pilots, Recreational and Part 107 licensed to use strobe-capable lights that must be visible for 3 statute miles as I stated above and included the reference.  If you want to fly at night without the required lighting, then you need to get your Part 107 License and then you can apply for a Waiver (yes, even in uncontrolled airspace a waiver is required…) and if your flight plan convinces the FAA that you can do it safely, then they will approve the waiver.

This "pilot" can fly all over the place ignoring all the rules and regulations and they give the FAA that much more justification for the Remote Identification requirement.  And if this pilot crashes their drone and causes an injury or damage, we will all get to read about it and no one will weep for the fines and possible jail time that they might incur…
2023-10-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoudThunder Posted at 10-1 06:28
The FAA no longer requires an authorization for a drone to fly at night in uncontrolled airspace, be they Recreational or Part 107 Licensed Pilots.  However, the FAA requires all drone pilots, Recreational and Part 107 licensed to use strobe-capable lights that must be visible for 3 statute miles as I stated above and included the reference.  If you want to fly at night without the required lighting, then you need to get your Part 107 License and then you can apply for a Waiver (yes, even in uncontrolled airspace a waiver is required…) and if your flight plan convinces the FAA that you can do it safely, then they will approve the waiver.

This "pilot" can fly all over the place ignoring all the rules and regulations and they give the FAA that much more justification for the Remote Identification requirement.  And if this pilot crashes their drone and causes an injury or damage, we will all get to read about it and no one will weep for the fines and possible jail time that they might incur…

So mobilehomers link is, what, wrong?
2023-10-1
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-1 08:26
So mobilehomers link is, what, wrong?

For once and for all, I am not saying mobilehomer is wrong, but what I am saying is mobilehomer is not right!

Yeah, get up on your high horse and scream that's all double talk…   But it is not, what mobilehomer is referencing is a Public Notice, not the Federal US Code, which is the actual LAW!

If anyone even bothered to read that notice, they would immediately see all the other references and links in there and those other references and links have links on them, all ultimately leading the reader to the rules an regulations…

I think of mobilehomer rational like this…   He runs outside and stares up at the Sun and screams it must be Summer, but he's standing in two-feet of snow, in the middle of January, in the middle of the United States…  The Sun out in the middle of Winter, does not make a Summer day any more than the public Notice is Law…

The use of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems is US Code, Title 14, Chapter 1, Subpart F, Part 107, Subpart B…

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/tit ... 107/subpart-B?toc=1

These are all the rules and regulations governing the flight of a drone…

Think about it this way, the Law of the Land in the United States is the Constitution.

And the Public Notice that mobilehomer referenced is like someone citing the Constitution if they are caught drinking and driving and speeding…

But you will find nothing about drinking and driving or speeding in the Constitution, but it's still against the law…

Just as your state's laws make it illegal to drink and driving or speed, the above reference spells how you must operate a drone…

I will end this with a quote from Abraham Lincoln:  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

So let's end this topic with everyone remaining "quiet…"

2023-10-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoudThunder Posted at 10-1 19:20
For once and for all, I am not saying mobilehomer is wrong, but what I am saying is mobilehomer is not right!

Yeah, get up on your high horse and scream that's all double talk…   But it is not, what mobilehomer is referencing is a Public Notice, not the Federal US Code, which is the actual LAW!

You guys can call it how you see fit, i'm glad i am in the UK as there is no such law, as yet, even though i do use nav lights anyway, day or night because this extends my VLOS much further, so there's that, i have one up on you guys over the pond  
2023-10-1
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-1 19:47
You guys can call it how you see fit, i'm glad i am in the UK as there is no such law, as yet, even though i do use nav lights anyway, day or night because this extends my VLOS much further, so there's that, i have one up on you guys over the pond

I reviewed the Drone Flight Regulations in the UK…

Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace – Policy and Guidance
CAP 722 -- Ninth Edition,  Amendment 1

The link below gets you to the Civil Aviation Authority Homepage, then you have to download the PDF…

www.caa.co.uk/cap722

The rules about Night Operations in the UK are pretty "Loosey Goosey…" as it only stipulates that the pilot maintain Visual Line of Sight.  In one of the guidance handouts, it stated that in 2021 the rules required that any drone operating at night must display a Green Light, but the photo that accompanied the paragraph showed a drone operating with only Red Lights…

2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was my thought that recreational and 107 pilots could fly at night in uncontrolled air space without a waiver. Part 107 pilots would need LAANC to get a waiver at night in controlled air space and also have taken the recurrent night flight training. And in any case an anti-collision light that can be seen from 3 statute miles be equipped and working on the drone in question.

I did a little (30 seconds) digging and found this from pilotinstitute.com

https://pilotinstitute.com/flying-drone-at-night/
With that being said, I'm not the drone police or anti drone police either one. I happen to have enjoyed the video in question. It isn't up to me to decide whether or not they were in compliance.
2023-10-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoudThunder Posted at 10-2 11:59
I reviewed the Drone Flight Regulations in the UK…

Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace – Policy and Guidance

Yep, fully aware of CAP722

The maximum VLOS distance varies for every operation, and will include such considerations as:
• The size of the aircraft (and its ‘visual conspicuity’)
Any lighting onboard the UA to aid in orientation and navigation
• The weather conditions (fog, sun glare etc.)
• The remote pilot’s eyesight
2023-10-2
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-2 13:03
It was my thought that recreational and 107 pilots could fly at night in uncontrolled air space without a waiver. Part 107 pilots would need LAANC to get a waiver at night in controlled air space and also have taken the recurrent night flight training. And in any case an anti-collision light that can be seen from 3 statute miles be equipped and working on the drone in question.

I did a little (30 seconds) digging and found this from pilotinstitute.com

That is an old posting, did you notice it referenced things that will happen in 2022…  I received my Part 107 License a year ago (Oct 2022) and the exam included night flying so I do not need to take any special training, but if you acquired your part 107 prior to Oct 2021, then you should take the Recurring course to get up to day with the rules and regulations.  

Part 107 licenses are only valid for 3-years, they do not expire like a Driver's License, the pilot loses their "Currency" and to again get their license current they must take the Recurrent course to bring them up to date with any and all new rules and regulations.

Recreationally Flyers cannot get LAANC clearance nor a FAA Authorization to fly at night, only part 107 Pilots can do this.

Recreationally Flyers can fly at night but only in uncontrolled airspace (with the proper lighting…).

Actually, they can fly anywhere they want to, through a military base, an active airport, a sports stadium, but if they do, they put their freedom and treasury in jeopardy…  They could go to jail and pay huge fines…

Fly Safe and Fly Smart…
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 10-2 19:54
That is an old posting, did you notice it referenced things that will happen in 2022…  I received my Part 107 License a year ago (Oct 2022) and the exam included night flying so I do not need to take any special training, but if you acquired your part 107 prior to Oct 2021, then you should take the Recurring course to get up to day with the rules and regulations.  

Part 107 licenses are only valid for 3-years, they do not expire like a Driver's License, the pilot loses their "Currency" and to again get their license current they must take the Recurrent course to bring them up to date with any and all new rules and regulations.

That was just something I pulled up in a 30 second search. I'm aware of how long a part 107 certificate is good for and that recurrent training must me taken to continue that certificate. Also aware that after a certain year, the night training was included in the exam, but there were pilots that were pre-night training and was not grandfathered in so in that case you would need to take the night training. I'm also aware that regardless of recreational or 107 pilot that at night, an anti-collision light is required. as referenced here and I'm also aware that part 107 pilots are not licensed, rather certificated. Same reference link.

My point is, there is a lot of rules and regulations that have changed very recently and that we should leave the enforcement of such to the FAA's enforcement team. I can't pull anyone over for driving 100mph in a 55mph zone because I'm not a police officer. Thats just me though.
2023-10-3
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-3 04:13
That was just something I pulled up in a 30 second search. I'm aware of how long a part 107 certificate is good for and that recurrent training must me taken to continue that certificate. Also aware that after a certain year, the night training was included in the exam, but there were pilots that were pre-night training and was not grandfathered in so in that case you would need to take the night training. I'm also aware that regardless of recreational or 107 pilot that at night, an anti-collision light is required. as referenced here and I'm also aware that part 107 pilots are not licensed, rather certificated. Same reference link.

My point is, there is a lot of rules and regulations that have changed very recently and that we should leave the enforcement of such to the FAA's enforcement team. I can't pull anyone over for driving 100mph in a 55mph zone because I'm not a police officer. Thats just me though.

If you read my original posting (#9), I merely suggested that the OP "forgot" that they needed to use a Strobe Light, and then several "misinformed" individuals "mis-quoted" pamphlets that were merely informational and stated that they "knew the Law" and that I was wrong.

The subsequent postings were for their benefit, not that I believe they took it to heart, but others, who want to the right thing, can use that information.

So, I have to ask you, you see someone beating an old lady senseless on the sidewalk, would you "mind your own business" because you "are not a police officer" or would you "remind" that person that it's not polite to beat an old lady senseless with a chair over the back of the head…

I am Part 107 Licensed and I am in communication with the FAA concerning RID on my Mini 2 (particulars are not important), but RID is being forced down our throats because "less-than-smart" and entitled flyers do not care one iota about what is required by the rules or regulations…

When I see obvious violations in the postings of the members; they had better be thick skinned enough to stand up to the criticism they "ask" for by posting their videos…

2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 10-3 11:00
If you read my original posting (#9), I merely suggested that the OP "forgot" that they needed to use a Strobe Light, and then several "misinformed" individuals "mis-quoted" pamphlets that were merely informational and stated that they "knew the Law" and that I was wrong.

The subsequent postings were for their benefit, not that I believe they took it to heart, but others, who want to the right thing, can use that information.

I feel that beating an old lady is a might different than forgetting to use an anti-collision light. We all have our limits as to what we feel is justifiable to get involved with or not.  I have no clue whether or not the OP was the person who made the video or not but I do know he caught some comments on his youtube channel in reference to his non-use of a proper ani-collision light. I feel thats ample warning. And I'm not saying you are wrong. Your choice to voice is yours, as is mine. I'm also trying to obtain information from the FAA in regards to the Air 3 also. I hope you have better luck than I have with that part.
2023-10-3
Use props
Air 3 Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Nice job...
2023-10-4
Use props
Tony_Linguini
lvl.3

United States

OK here is my stupid newbie question. I read that "you should always keep the drone in sight" and I know I am months away from flying at night, but I do not think you had the drone in sight for this entire video?
2023-10-4
Use props
Afonso Oliveira
New

Brazil

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-10 04:18
Nice to see the night mode on the Air 3 working so well.

Awesome vídeo. Love that
2023-10-15
Use props
Clackers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1438999 ft
Japan

Tony_Linguini Posted at 10-4 21:56
OK here is my stupid newbie question. I read that "you should always keep the drone in sight" and I know I am months away from flying at night, but I do not think you had the drone in sight for this entire video?

I don`t know about everyone else, but that little black spot or the drone is out of my line of sight in miniutes if I am takeing video. I find it near to impossible to keep my eye on it. especially as my face is down in the controller.
2023-10-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Afonso Oliveira Posted at 10-15 12:57
Awesome vídeo. Love that

2023-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see!
2023-11-11
Use props
djiuser_uzqqCYigCSJe
lvl.1
Lebanon

cool video
2023-11-12
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3155161 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you!
2023-11-12
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you!
2023-11-12
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you!
2023-11-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome.  Hope you are having a great weekend.
2023-11-12
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video and yes it does great at night. But please, get a strobe on that bird. There are so many Med helicopters in the area.
2023-11-12
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 9-15 10:52
I am sorry to see your posting; from your snide remark, "What you the Drone police?", I infer that you endorse this type of "wild-west" drone flying where the rules and regulations that govern the safety of flight only applies to the "other guy…"

Most drone pilots do not want RID, me included, yet "cowboys" who fly their drones willy-nilly without regard to the safety of others are the reason it was enacted.

I didn’t see any Willy-Nilly flying right before dusk in empty parking lots? Your being a bit absurd
2023-11-15
Use props
LoudThunder
Second Officer
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 11-15 08:05
I didn’t see any Willy-Nilly flying right before dusk in empty parking lots? Your being a bit absurd

The only thing absurd is your English.  The correct grammar is "You're being a bit absurd…" not "Your…"  And since you think that flying at night without the FAA Required Strobe Lighting is alright, then get in line with all the other "gap-tooth, knuckle-dragging, inbreeds" who have driven the FAA to enact the Remote Identification requirements.  

2023-11-16
Use props
fans4f5c9ada
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865561 ft
United States

And if you are an anti-RIDer, this is why the FAA is coming down so hard on the rest of us…  

Where did you get the 40-100 cycles per second figure? It is not in the regulation.
2023-12-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules