Air 3 does not have a 3:2 aspect ratio for photo's. Disappointed.
989 12 2023-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

I just bought the Air 3 and it no 3:2 aspect ratio. I have 3 other Dji drones and several other cameras. They all shoot 3:2 aspect ratio.
I am a professional photographer and I go to great lengths to compose my pictures at the time the photo is taken.  When you do the volume of photos that I do, workflow is a major concern.  
Without the ability to compose the images at the time of the time I take them, I doubt I will use the Air 3 as anything other than a backup. If Dji would allow me to letterbox the screen or add guides to the screen then I could batch-process the cropping later, but that does not appear to be an option either.

So while it may seem like just an inconvenience to some, it is a little more than that to me.  

I wish DJI would reconsider what seems to be a senseless decision to omit the 3:2 aspect ratio from the picture-taking options on some of their drones. It is and has been the professional standard for decades and if you are going to allow for the ability to take pictures in 16:9 you can certainly allow 3:2.

Dave

2023-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention.  After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-10
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

You know that you have 4:3, right?
2023-9-10
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2023829 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So? Same as people asking for digital zoom in photo mode: doesn't add anything. Just edit you pictures in the ratio you want and enjoy the extra pixels for cropping.
2023-9-11
Use props
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 9-10 21:53
You know that you have 4:3, right?

Of course, I know. Did you read the post?

Dave
2023-9-11
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

fansff75ddbc Posted at 9-11 08:22
Of course, I know. Did you read the post?

Dave

Sensor size is 4:3....so max quality is on 4:3 size without cropping.
You know that you can make in Photoshop automated process to crop at 3:2, as 4:3 and 3:2 have close ratio, so I really don't see the issue.
Using the lines when taking the photo you need to leave some areas around in order to crop it in best way anyway, as all photographers do....I do not think that is somebody that good to use the photo directly from drone without cropping the area of interest, as you have a small screen and some details can be easily missed out..

Cheers.
2023-9-11
Use props
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 9-11 22:31
Sensor size is 4:3....so max quality is on 4:3 size without cropping.
You know that you can make in Photoshop automated process to crop at 3:2, as 4:3 and 3:2 have close ratio, so I really don't see the issue.
Using the lines when taking the photo you need to leave some areas around in order to crop it in best way anyway, as all photographers do....I do not think that is somebody that good to use the photo directly from drone without cropping the area of interest, as you have a small screen and some details can be easily missed out..

You're entitled to your opinion.

I don't think that they should take away the 16:9 option from the video menu just because you can set up premiere pro to automatically crop to 16:9.

I've been working professionally for a long time and I do leave a little bit of extra room for cropping, but not a lot. I like to get it done on site if at all possible.  

I don't see why everybody's in such a rush to stick up for DJI on this. It seems like it should be my choice.  Believe me, I'm a DJI fan as well. I've had five DJI drones (four at the moment). I have a DJI RS3 pro gimbal. I had a Ronin M until it stopped working. I have a DJI action 4 Cam and tons of accessories. All of my other DJI drones along with my 3 current Canon DSLRs my Nikon dslr and my  and my past sony cameras have had 3:2 aspect ratio, which is the standard.  It doesn't hurt DJI to add this to the air 3. It seems like a reasonable request coming from someone who has spent thousands of dollars with them.  

Thanks
Dave
2023-9-12
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2023829 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansff75ddbc Posted at 9-12 10:43

I don't think that they should take away the 16:9 option from the video menu just because you can set up premiere pro to automatically crop to 16:9.

Sorry to say but sounds like you are a bit set on your specific needs. Just set your import settings to 3:2 of you need in Lightroom or whatever you use or shop for a drone that gives you the fixed aspect ratio you need. Don't expect this to end up as a feature in the Air 3. Photography is already not the prime focus, video is.

On the subject: How do you like the photos from the air 3? I'm finding them to be underwhelming. Noise, fringing etc etc. Air2s way way better.
2023-9-12
Use props
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

AlexanderK Posted at 9-12 11:30
Sorry to say but sounds like you are a bit set on your specific needs. Just set your import settings to 3:2 of you need in Lightroom or whatever you use or shop for a drone that gives you the fixed aspect ratio you need. Don't expect this to end up as a feature in the Air 3. Photography is already not the prime focus, video is.

On the subject: How do you like the photos from the air 3? I'm finding them to be underwhelming. Noise, fringing etc etc. Air2s way way better.

The photo and video quality of the Air2s is better by far. The photos taken with the air 3 have way more noise and chromatic aborations. I do find though that the 12mp photos are not bad for my needs (other than the aspect ratio)

I have an air 2s and it's really better than it deserves for the price. Where the air3 blows it away is in the cine/tripod video mode. Being able to set a max movement speed is awesome. The air 2s is twitchy even after you tweak it.  I prefer the flight characteristics of the phantom 4 pro to the air 2s but I can't give up the video quality of the air 2s.

The air 3 sort of splits the difference. It has the best controls and decent video but not very good photo quality. I will probably use the air 3 for video and the air 2s for photos.  I need to give it a little more time though. I've not had as much time to work with the air3 video files as the air 2s.

I would like to use the air 3 for photos too, because it is so much quieter and I work in a lot of suburban areas. Many people out there want to shoot first and ask questions later when they see a drone. It has been getting better over the years, but I still love a quiet drone.

The signal strength is better on the Air 3 also.

It's got a lot of good traits. It would not be my first choice though if I was taking photos for any kind of large print. I would lean toward the air 2s for that.

Dave
2023-9-12
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

AlexanderK Posted at 9-12 11:30
Sorry to say but sounds like you are a bit set on your specific needs. Just set your import settings to 3:2 of you need in Lightroom or whatever you use or shop for a drone that gives you the fixed aspect ratio you need. Don't expect this to end up as a feature in the Air 3. Photography is already not the prime focus, video is.

Both photos and video have purple fringing on edges...noise I can deal with...purple fringe needs a lot of post.
Also the moire is crazy...
But...it is what it is...
2023-9-13
Use props
sean_themighty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17228 ft

United States

fansff75ddbc Posted at 2023-9-12 10:43

As a fellow professional photographer, I find it completely insane anyone would be opposed to capturing an image using the full size and capability of a camera’s capture area. More flexibility and more resolution is always welcome. I would never want the camera to throw away data pre-capture. To me it’s not any different than choosing JPEG over raw. Capture as much data as possible up front so you have choices and flexibility later.

If your sensor is 4:3, you’re getting more. Embrace it. I used to think cropping was a dirty word, but it can be a creative tool and doesn’t need to be a crutch. I’ve had magazines ask for photos shot in different aspect ratios to fit their layout and I’m always glad when I took that shot wider so I can get that full page or cover vertical.

Ansel Adams famously preferred shooting 6x6 *because* he could make/crop vertical and horizontal rectangular prints from a single shot.
2-1 01:34
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Looks like no one can read. The author asks for guidelines. This option is available when shooting video.
If you compose a frame unsuccessfully, it may turn out that you won’t be able to crop it correctly.
2-1 08:18
Use props
Max de Winter
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have the same problem with my DJI mavic 3 classic..I sold this Drone yesterday..I fly again with my Mavic2 pro 3:2..all my DSLR are 3:2..
2-16 11:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules