1168 15 2023-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gimbal Golf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3491470 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My 'replacement' Avata (last one had a core processor issue) has just today decided that after take off, it wont hover, it drift uncontrollably close to the ground, flying in all directions, when i invoke the landing sequence, left stick down, it does not respond immediately, the goggles display a vision sensor calibration error but it was working fine last time it was flown on,y a few days ago.

The Avata is proving to be my goto drone for indoor drone tours but an uncontrollable one is no good to me. I have a spare but come on DJI there have been no updates to the Avata for months. I find it quite an unpredictable sometime unreliable drone.

I'd like to try a new FC but you cannot just buy them you have to send it away and I have no idea of the cost.

Any ideas whats going on and causing the issue? Can I buy just an FC to fit myself? The alternative is I buy a used Avata

2023-9-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, Gimbal Golf. We're deeply sorry for the trouble. Please try to connect the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 software and please try to perform the vision sensor calibration. After that, please update/refresh the firmware of all the components DJI Goggles, DJI Avata, DJI Remote controller and check if the issue persists. You may also provide us with your previous case number when you send your unit to us so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-9-13
Use props
Gimbal Golf
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-13 18:23
Hi there, Gimbal Golf. We're deeply sorry for the trouble. Please try to connect the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 software and please try to perform the vision sensor calibration. After that, please update/refresh the firmware of all the components DJI Goggles, DJI Avata, DJI Remote controller and check if the issue persists. You may also provide us with your previous case number when you send your unit to us so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

OK, I have performed the sensor calibration. All software is current, IMU, controller, vision sensors, goggles are all calibrated and the same thing is happening. I can apply as much as 60% throttle and the drone only just lifts off, it will then drift even with sat lock, drifiting faster and unresponsive to stick inputs. It then flies at speed in an uncontrollable and dangerous way. I am unable to get the drone to land using the downward throttle movement and have to grab the drone and flick it over.
This has only happend yesterday and despite a minor impact a week ago, it has remained absolutely solid. I have a second AVATA which behaves perfectly so I know its not the googles or the controller.

I think this is the case number where you replaced the drone. CAS-11385435-T1L9D3 Avata issues, I beleive the replacement drone was shipped around the end of December 2022.

Thanks

2023-9-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Gimbal Golf Posted at 9-13 23:14
OK, I have performed the sensor calibration. All software is current, IMU, controller, vision sensors, goggles are all calibrated and the same thing is happening. I can apply as much as 60% throttle and the drone only just lifts off, it will then drift even with sat lock, drifiting faster and unresponsive to stick inputs. It then flies at speed in an uncontrollable and dangerous way. I am unable to get the drone to land using the downward throttle movement and have to grab the drone and flick it over.
This has only happend yesterday and despite a minor impact a week ago, it has remained absolutely solid. I have a second AVATA which behaves perfectly so I know its not the googles or the controller.

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know did you try it indoors or outside?
Would you please test in different places? Also, please check the propellers as well.
May we double-confirm that the Goggles and Controller work properly with your spare DJI Avata, right?
We noticed that the Avata has minor impacts last time, if the issue persists, we will recommend you send it back for diagnosis and repair.
2023-9-14
Use props
Gimbalair
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-14 02:22
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know did you try it indoors or outside?
Would you please test in different places? Also, please check the propellers as well.
May we double-confirm that the Goggles and Controller work properly with your spare DJI Avata, right?

I have tried indoors and outdoors, same behaviour.

My other Avata flies perfectly.

Who can I send the log to for analysis, i am hoping to have the sorted quickly
2023-9-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Gimbalair Posted at 9-14 03:08
I have tried indoors and outdoors, same behaviour.

My other Avata flies perfectly.

If so, we will recommend you start a case and send it back for diagnosis and repair.
For your issue, please write down your request to apply for the data analysis in the case.
Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2023-9-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Upload the .txt flight log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and post the resulting URL here or perhaps in the Mavic series forum, I don't know if JJB* etc. browses this forum  but he does browse the Mavic forums.
If there is DAT available BUT NOT from the drone, upload that to a file hosting website, make the webpage public and post its URL along with the Phantom help URL.
I do not know if Avata  DATs are processable but there is one sure way to find out, try it, lol. Besides you could try processing the .DAT yourself with CsvView https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html on a windows computer, I do not know if CsvView will process a DAT on a Mac.
2023-9-14
Use props
Gimbalair
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-14 06:12
Upload the .txt flight log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and post the resulting URL here or perhaps in the Mavic series forum, I don't know if JJB* etc. browses this forum  but he does browse the Mavic forums.
If there is DAT available BUT NOT from the drone, upload that to a file hosting website, make the webpage public and post its URL along with the Phantom help URL.
I do not know if Avata  DATs are processable but there is one sure way to find out, try it, lol. Besides you could try processing the .DAT yourself with CsvView https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html on a windows computer, I do not know if CsvView will process a DAT on a Mac.

Helpful but my log file appears to be a .log file
2023-9-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gimbalair Posted at 9-14 08:13
Helpful but my log file appears to be a .log file

Have a look at
I am deaf so following is based on the English subtitles.
Follow the instructions up until 1:04 "once this has finished simply upload the".
At that point, with my FPV, I effectively stop since I do not upload logs to the internet etc. I move the logs from the phone to external storage.

Incidentally the last time I copied logs from the goggles I think I did not switch the drone on, I forgot to lol.
From memory of the times I tried-it/did-it with the drone switched on, the time taken to start the goggles-phone sync varied quite a bit and in some instances the delay was quite long.

Two points,
1) make sure your phone's fly app is NOT set to sync logs with DJI. Otherwise the .DATs, now on the phone, will be deleted during the sync with DJI. In fact I would switch the phone's wifi OFF.
2) the logs are stored in the 'normal' place in the phone.
To get the logs off the phone I connect my android phone to a windows computer via USB, I normally use a phone running a fairly recent version of the app and from memory the PATH is something like
computer/phone's-name/Phone/Android/Data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord  ....  with the DATs being in the MCDatFlightRecords folder in FlightRecord. I might have mixed the folders' order up but that should be obvious as you follow the PATH.
I have also used a phone running an earlier version of the App and in that phone I think the PATH is
computer/phone's-name/Phone/Dji/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord  etc.

I think/guess the PATHs will be similar if you are using Anroid and a Mac but this Mac of mine does not like "Android File Transfer"? so I haven't been able to look. From memory I blue toothed the last log I copied to this Mac.

With memory of an iPhone the PATHs should be similar but you may need iTunes.
2023-9-14
Use props
Gimbalair
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-14 10:16
Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWjV5JvFpY
I am deaf so following is based on the English subtitles.
Follow the instructions up until 1:04 "once this has finished simply upload the".

Thanks, all my logs syncrohnise with DJI and Airdata as I need a record for my annual OA renewal.
2023-9-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gimbalair Posted at 9-14 11:11
Thanks, all my logs syncrohnise with DJI and Airdata as I need a record for my annual OA renewal.

You could sync you logs AFTER you have COPIED them to somewhere safe.
2023-9-14
Use props
Gimbalair
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-14 02:22

I have filed a warranty repair but this is the behaviour my Avata is now exhibiting for no apparent reason
2023-9-15
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Gimbalair Posted at 9-15 07:00
https://youtu.be/GyTwkl1oD64

I have filed a warranty repair but this is the behaviour my Avata is now exhibiting for no apparent reason

Thank you. We have forwarded your case to our service center.
2023-9-16
Use props
NK123
lvl.1
Serbia

Gimbalair Posted at 2023-9-15 07:00
https://youtu.be/GyTwkl1oD64

Bro, the same thing happened to me!!!

I just have the motion controller, so it's even worse, and I only had the drone for the first 4-5 days!

I submitted a ticket to get it fixed, but I was wondering on the forums if there was a solution and tried to re-update it with the DJI Assistant app. However, when I set it on my pool table in the living room, it started to hop around like crazy and wouldn't turn off or land. Having to juggle my goggles, the controller, and catching the drone so it doesn't break something, I reached out with my right hand, and this time the drone got the controller wrist strap and ruined one of the motors!!!

I got so crushed today!!! I tried to take it out of the motor and couldn't do it. I thought about taking the motor apart, so I tried to fix it, thinking it would work again, and I could do something to repair it, but the motor got so that the string got glued to it! It's a nightmare! I can't believe how much pain, stress, and sorrow this thing brought me! I wish I didn't buy it!!!!!

When I press it to power off, it won't! I need to unplug the battery with my finger so close to the blades going full speed and the goggles on my face! It was a nightmare. I was also holding the joystick down on the controller so it lands, but it won't, and the motors are just going full speed!!! It also fried my 256GB SD card at some point with loads of footage!

I was contemplating smashing it with a sledgehammer, blowing it up with explosives, shooting it with a 12-gauge shotgun, or setting it on fire 3 hours ago!!! I live in the city, so I didn't do anything because the neighbors at 1 am would think I'm crazy. I'm usually very stable and rational, but this thing got me going insane for a moment. The frustration of not being able to turn it off and it flying across the room, hitting stuff, was so nightmarish!
4-13 21:16
Use props
NK123
lvl.1
Serbia

NK123 Posted at 4-13 21:16
Bro, the same thing happened to me!!!

I just have the motion controller, so it's even worse, and I only had the drone for the first 4-5 days!

After watching teardown videos of the drone, I think I've identified the problem!

My drone first encountered this nightmare after losing one of its propellers mid-flight; the whole thing came off, leaving just the screws behind.

It was high up when this happened, and it could have damaged the IMU! The IMU is in the GPS sensor at the front. Tomorrow, I will try to open it up and fix it on my own. Having already damaged one motor, now I'm in a tough spot considering the warranty. So, why let them charge me almost the cost of the entire drone when I can try to fix it for free or much less? Also, the customer care sounded reluctant in the first place and told me they can't cover my warranty because the drone was purchased in Australia, which wasn't the case; it is in Europe. So, I don't have to beg their stingy asses to help me anymore or ship the drone to them just for them to tell me they can't fix it or to charge me who knows how much for something worth far less. Keep in mind, they already had good margins on the sale in the first place, and I only had the drone for 3-4 days!!!

I've already ordered a new original motor that I ruined, thinking it was a software update fault. If I can't fix the IMU in the GPS module, I will order that as well. But having looked online, I think it might have only come loose from its silicone holding block, and I will be able to get it back in, and that will hopefully work. We will know when I get the motor.

This was a long, bad day, and now, at 9 AM the following morning, having not slept over a stupid $500 piece of plastic, this has gotten even more personal. That bad luck all day with that stupid thing, since early morning when I woke up to recently, it had just gotten worse and worse until now. Now, I finally have a way to fix all that crap that has ruined the past almost 24 hours and can sleep in peace finally! In the morning, I have work that I missed because of this thing, but after that, I will go and buy one more avatar so that I don't stress out over it while I wait for the parts to come. If this solves the problem, they better start selling GPS modules as spare parts because I think you had this problem as well as your drone almost does the same as mine, but mine having the motion controller is even more uncontrollable!

If someone from DJI is reading this and this turns out to be the case, you need to add a opton to the DJI Assistant APP that lets you turn the drone arround and see if the IMU is damaged, this will help diagnose the problem much faster. Even better add the option to check IMU after fall/crash in a goggles setings menu! But now with the Avata 2 out you probably even dont care.
4-13 23:07
Use props
NK123
lvl.1
Serbia

NK123 Posted at 4-13 23:07
After watching teardown videos of the drone, I think I've identified the problem!

My drone first encountered this nightmare after losing one of its propellers mid-flight; the whole thing came off, leaving just the screws behind.

Today, I took apart the GPS module, and the board was first visible jammed between its silicone case and the top plastic lid, secont thing the cable connecting to it was broken, but the cable could have been me when I was prying it apart whith a blade because it looks cut.
This IMU dislogment must have happened the last time it crashed after losing one whole propeller mid-ascent at 200m and going full speed down into a tree! This caused the frame to break, so I had to replace it, and this is why it wouldn't fly after I replaced the frame.

Now, I'm not sure if this really is the problem because I broke one motor in desperation last night trying to fix it so untill I het a new one and the cable saudered or the whole part replaced.
4-14 10:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules