Please Release the DLOG-M Color Space (DCTL/IDT/ODT) Information!
123Next >
11105 95 2023-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

utkin Posted at 2-5 21:37
How much longer we need to wait for official D-LogM color transform function? Currently grading D-LogM footage is pain actually.
DJI has never been client friendly but now I can see GoPro in Davinci Resolve but not D-Log. With all respect do you encourage us moving away from DJI?

Hello. This is not the experience we want you to have. We understand how useful this function is to you however, we haven't received any information related to the said request. What we can do here is to continue to record such feedback to reach our designated team. Please note that we always love to forward your suggestions to the engineers as DJI is always open for any product optimization request. However, not everything will be approved as there may be some limitations such as technical or firmware limitations. Hoping for your understanding and support.
2-7 23:35
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-7 23:35
Hello. This is not the experience we want you to have. We understand how useful this function is to you however, we haven't received any information related to the said request. What we can do here is to continue to record such feedback to reach our designated team. Please note that we always love to forward your suggestions to the engineers as DJI is always open for any product optimization request. However, not everything will be approved as there may be some limitations such as technical or firmware limitations. Hoping for your understanding and support.

Hello,
this is not the answer we want to see. Again, it is another computer-generated bullsh1t without certain ETA.
You know, my last drone was Mavic2 because I lost confidence in DJI ability to produce what they claim. And it appears that Pocket3 is going to be last handheld I bought from DJI.
2-8 17:27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

utkin Posted at 2-8 17:27
Hello,
this is not the answer we want to see. Again, it is another computer-generated bullsh1t without certain ETA.
You know, my last drone was Mavic2 because I lost confidence in DJI ability to produce what they claim. And it appears that Pocket3 is going to be last handheld I bought from DJI.

Thank you for your response. Rest assured that we will keep on monitoring this request and will surely provide relevant information once approved. Should you have further inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.
2-10 22:35
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

utkin Posted at 2-8 17:27
Hello,

Through all your DJI products, can you name one time when "any" eta has been given for customer requests?
I will take the liberty of answering that for you, they have never done so, therefore, one would have thought you'd have learnt this by now.
2-10 22:57
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Bashy Posted at 2-10 22:57
Through all your DJI products, can you name one time when "any" eta has been given for customer requests?
I will take the liberty of answering that for you, they have never done so, therefore, one would have thought you'd have learnt this by now.

Ha ha,  indeed!

Even though it is not a true LOG "but a lower-contrast video with a flat color profile", it has been around for quite a while and  DJI claims D-Log M is designed to capture a wide dynamic range from the sensor. So, I feel like I have my consumer right to request for ETA.

Especially that it does not require firmware upgrades or program changes, I do not see why it has not been done yet, unless DJI is ashamed to reveal some truth
2-11 00:47
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

utkin Posted at 2-11 00:47
Ha ha,  indeed!

Even though it is not a true LOG "but a lower-contrast video with a flat color profile", it has been around for quite a while and  DJI claims D-Log M is designed to capture a wide dynamic range from the sensor. So, I feel like I have my consumer right to request for ETA.

Hey, i see where ya coming from and i agree, we can all put in requests, i for one have done it a few times in the past only to see that they held both requests back and added them to the new drone (Mini 4 Pro), namely, Precision Landing was one of them so i wont be putting in any more suggestions.
2-11 04:43
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Bashy Posted at 2-11 04:43
Hey, i see where ya coming from and i agree, we can all put in requests, i for one have done it a few times in the past only to see that they held both requests back and added them to the new drone (Mini 4 Pro), namely, Precision Landing was one of them so i wont be putting in any more suggestions.

Yes, but like I said, publishing transform function won't require R&D and firmware changes - they already do this math when writing data from the sensor into video file.

as for the suggestions - time will show.
"D-Log M is designed for professional color grading" - they say by the way
2-11 18:27
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

It may be designed that way - but we can't use it that way.
2-12 01:47
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-ytao Posted at 2023-11-27 04:23
Hi ronj.

As your figured it out. the curve is quite similar with HLG.

In the first place it's shame on DJI. The thread was started half-year back and still there are no results. Especially that the request does not require R&D or firmware changes.

@DJI-ytao can we consider your post as an official reply that Davinci Resolve settings of Input Gamut:  DJI D-LogM and gamma Rec. 2100 HLG or ARIB STD-B67 HLG - are the most accurate at the moment?
2-16 17:51
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Does anyone know what the native ISO is for the Action 4?    I've been torn between 400 and 800.
2-16 20:22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Anonymous1 Posted at 2-16 20:22
Does anyone know what the native ISO is for the Action 4?    I've been torn between 400 and 800.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The native ISO of the DJI Osmo Action 4 is 100. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead!
2-17 00:05
Use props
R4Dives
lvl.2
Maldives

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-17 00:05
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The native ISO of the DJI Osmo Action 4 is 100. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead!

sounds like a horrible news for low light performance. Am I wrong?
2-18 01:01
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

R4Dives Posted at 2-18 01:01

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regarding low-light photography, the Osmo Action 4 features a larger 1/1.3-inch image sensor compared to its predecessor, ensuring low-noise footage in sports scenarios and low-light scenes with a high dynamic range or high contrast. D-Log M color mode is designed for professional photography. It enhances the dynamic range of images in high contrast or multi-color scenes such as gardens or fields, allowing for a wider color tuning space and maximum scene reproduction during post-processing. 10-bit color depth enables smoother color transition.

Meanwhile, the 155° supper-wide field of view (FOV) retains a strong visual impact in motion scenes, capturing the scene to the maximum extent. When shooting landscapes, you can capture the breathtaking beauty of the vast scenery, creating a powerful visual impact.

When using the DJI Osmo Action 4 in low-light and high-contrast environments at night, please lower the ISO threshold and decrease the shutter speed. For good lighting conditions, it is recommended to use an ISO range of 0 to 800, while for poorer lighting conditions, an ISO range of 0 to 3200 is suggested.
2-19 01:58
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

R4Dives Posted at 2-18 01:01

This now means you have to mount the camera on a gimbal or tripod and use a slow shutter speed with image stabilization disabled (defeating the purpose of an action camera in the first place).

I'm happy someone at DJI answered the question so I know not to set the max ISO to 400 in daylight.

I wished I could set the min ISO to 400 and max ISO to 800 in the evenings like I could with GoPro.
2-25 09:27
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-10 22:35
Thank you for your response. Rest assured that we will keep on monitoring this request and will surely provide relevant information once approved. Should you have further inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.

Any updates concerning the original question "Please Release the DLOG-M Color Space (DCTL/IDT/ODT) Information"?
3-1 22:00
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

utkin Posted at 3-1 22:00
Any updates concerning the original question "Please Release the DLOG-M Color Space (DCTL/IDT/ODT) Information"?

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
3-4 02:10
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-4 02:10
Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Yeah, given that bad attitude towards customers it is time to explore other brands. In the past I sold nearly all DJI gadgets I bought - only Osmo Pocket is still dusting somewhere.
3-9 06:18
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

By the way, I am still seeing the gadgets beneath my avatar that I no longer own for a while. How do i deregister them?
3-9 06:20
Use props
oliw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172037 ft
Germany

utkin Posted at 3-9 06:20
By the way, I am still seeing the gadgets beneath my avatar that I no longer own for a while. How do i deregister them?

Products for professional use need attention in various fields, not only tech an features of the device! Please release the DLOG-M Color Space (DCTL/IDT/ODT) information.Although the forum staff is listening, the engineers won't it seems....
3-10 00:26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

utkin Posted at 3-9 06:20

Thank you for your response. Kindly please provide us with your DJI Forum account via PM and please indicate the icons that you want to remove. We will wait for your response.
3-10 04:43
Use props
djiuser_dKuIfNURrz8Z
lvl.1

United States

oliw Posted at 3-10 00:26
Products for professional use need attention in various fields, not only tech an features of the device! Please release the DLOG-M Color Space (DCTL/IDT/ODT) information.Although the forum staff is listening, the engineers won't it seems....

So... I checked the properties of a 10-bit footage filmed on my OA4  using VLC player, and I'm seeing that the Color Space is ITU-R BT.709. I'm assuming this cannot be the D-Log M color space? If what I'm seeing is correct, DJI has misled millions of customers worldwide into a false advertisement. DJI, you owe us, the paying customers, a definitive answer. No more delays and hiding beyond excuses after excuses. WE DEMAND AN ANSWER, NOW!!

OA4 10-bit.PNG
3-13 18:19
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

djiuser_dKuIfNURrz8Z Posted at 3-13 18:19
So... I checked the properties of a 10-bit footage filmed on my OA4  using VLC player, and I'm seeing that the Color Space is ITU-R BT.709. I'm assuming this cannot be the D-Log M color space? If what I'm seeing is correct, DJI has misled millions of customers worldwide into a false advertisement. DJI, you owe us, the paying customers, a definitive answer. No more delays and hiding beyond excuses after excuses. WE DEMAND AN ANSWER, NOW!!

There are really quite a few unanswered questions including those I demanded DJI to clarify.
I am also wondering where the thin edge between misleading customers and mere scam is.
3-14 07:09
Use props
fans7d89684c
lvl.2
Peru

I read the entire thread hoping to get an answer but I came here disappointed.
I read in Reddit threads that D-Log M is just a flat profile.
More information here: https://www.reddit.com/r/osmopocket/comments/1b6n0kp/dlog_m_grading/
3-15 11:44
Use props
DronardoUAS
lvl.2

Spain

I hope this helps !!

https://salamifish.com/product/salamifish-dji-transform-hdr/
3-24 06:14
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

DronardoUAS Posted at 3-24 06:14
I hope this helps !!

This will work only with DaVinci Resolve Studio, not with the free version. And without proper information from DJI it is another best guess which is working well by the way.
And I don‘t think any other video editing software supports DCTL.
3-24 08:23
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

Honestly crazy how they boasted about D-LOG but STILL have yet to do this. All the responses from DJI here just seem to be computer generated too, it's sad honestly
3-24 17:23
Use props
Salamifish
lvl.1
Germany

Hi, for everbody in need of converting D Log M or DCinelike, I now also offer transforms which fit into a Davinci Intermediate workflow in Davinci Resolve. Have a look at the demos on my website salamifish.com/demos

DJItransformHDR_V5 is good for node based colour management between DLOG, DLOG-M, Dcinelike and Davinci Intermediate, Arri LogC WG as well as all kinds of SDR and HDR display colourspaces.
the DWG IDTs for each DLOG-M or DCinelike can be loaded as INPUT LUT to fit DJI footage into you Davinci Intermediate/Davinci Wide Gamut timeline colourspace.
3-25 10:42
Use props
ronj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208419 ft
United States

Salamifish Posted at 3-25 10:42
Hi, for everbody in need of converting D Log M or DCinelike, I now also offer transforms which fit into a Davinci Intermediate workflow in Davinci Resolve. Have a look at the demos on my website salamifish.com/demos

DJItransformHDR_V5 is good for node based colour management between DLOG, DLOG-M, Dcinelike and Davinci Intermediate, Arri LogC WG as well as all kinds of SDR and HDR display colourspaces.

Hi Tobias, thanks for posting this!  How do the demos work?  It seems the demo link ends in .dctle which is not supported by the browser.
Also, can you talk a little about how you came up with them?  Neither DLOGM or DCinelike is documented anywhere?

Also, can you please help us understand the different DLOGM's and DCinelike's - if there are any differences by device.  For example, I notice that DJI Mavic Mini 3 PRO isn't listed on your site but others are by device.

Thanks!  Looking forward to hearing from you as this is the first promising solution I've seen since posting this almost a year back!
3-25 12:00
Use props
Salamifish
lvl.1
Germany

Hi Ron, dctle is the file format of encrypted dctls. you can simply download the file and put it into the Davinci Resolve LUT Folder into a folder structure of your liking. You have to restart Davinci after that procedure.

I came up with that for my job as colourist because I needed to match drone shots within shots by other cameras. As it is not documented (like you mentioned), the only solution was to do it experimental. I shot (or received by clients) footage with DJI cameras and professional digital cameras at the same time pointing into the same direction and was able to compare it on a HDR display. That made sure that shadows, diffuse highlights and specular highlights are rendered naturally where you would expect them. My ability as colourist helped a lot to make sure the transform matches. Also strong colours (you might see in night city shots)  were tested to avoid artifacts.

DLog-M was determined using the Mavic Pro 2 (not zoom) and DCinelike was checked on Mavic Pro1, old Phantoms, and Mavic Air1 and 2. There might be slight variations between the cameras (which might be a reason why it is not documented) so for newer cameras like the Mini3 you might need to test yourself, until I have the chance and time to test myself. <
In my job I often hear from directors of photography how well these little drones (if they didn't have budget for Inspire or bigger) match to the rest with my transforms.

cheers,
Tobi
3-25 13:50
Use props
crypticc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_dKuIfNURrz8Z Posted at 3-13 18:19
So... I checked the properties of a 10-bit footage filmed on my OA4  using VLC player, and I'm seeing that the Color Space is ITU-R BT.709. I'm assuming this cannot be the D-Log M color space? If what I'm seeing is correct, DJI has misled millions of customers worldwide into a false advertisement. DJI, you owe us, the paying customers, a definitive answer. No more delays and hiding beyond excuses after excuses. WE DEMAND AN ANSWER, NOW!!

While I agree DJI should be transparent, 10bit colour has nothing to do with the colour space. 10 bits into 709 does go.

But I understand the other way around is a recipe for disaster. A wide colour space without 10 bit means not enough colour resolution to cover that wide space= lots of banding.

All, feel free to correct me but that is my understanding

Chris
3-30 05:13
Use props
RomanLev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 520105 ft
Ukraine

Hey DJI,

What the benefit of using D-LogM if your standard LUT transforms it only to Normal? Where are real 10 bit colors? Why do you limit your customers?
4-2 02:34
Use props
marks73
New

Argentina

DJI please release the transformation matrix to be able to work properly. we cannot continue in this situation!
4-11 06:30
Use props
AndrewRH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2157864 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for your DJI replies. I too would like to request that DJI share the colour grading info as per 1st posting in the thread. I use Davinci Resolve and having a colour space selection in it for DJI would be helpful to creators and it would put the DJI brand into this popular video editing product.
Thank you.
4-13 03:24
Use props
Marviz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55745 ft

Poland

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-10 04:43
Thank you for your response. Kindly please provide us with your DJI Forum account via PM and please indicate the icons that you want to remove. We will wait for your response.

Since DJI is putting D-Log M into all of their new products, what is so hard to release these color profiles to live? All this time we are waiting and nothing comes up. Workarounds dont work. Most of us are content creators, we bought your products to produce content and the most important feature for what i bought your product is limmited to use Rec709? Whats the point of having a 10 bit format anyway?

WHEN WILL THIS BE REALESED?
4-14 00:53
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

AndrewRH Posted at 4-13 03:24
Thank you for your DJI replies. I too would like to request that DJI share the colour grading info as per 1st posting in the thread. I use Davinci Resolve and having a colour space selection in it for DJI would be helpful to creators and it would put the DJI brand into this popular video editing product.
Thank you.

Hello, Andrew. Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate you explaining how it would help you out. While that feature isn’t currently in our development roadmap, our engineers we'll surely be working on its possibilities that include improvements and will be helpful for the majority of our customers. However, we wish to inform you that there is no guarantee this will be featured. We appreciate your understanding.
4-14 19:56
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Marviz Posted at 4-14 00:53
Since DJI is putting D-Log M into all of their new products, what is so hard to release these color profiles to live? All this time we are waiting and nothing comes up. Workarounds dont work. Most of us are content creators, we bought your products to produce content and the most important feature for what i bought your product is limmited to use Rec709? Whats the point of having a 10 bit format anyway?

WHEN WILL THIS BE REALESED?

Hi there. While we strive to accommodate all requests, some may take time to process. Our team carefully evaluates each one to ensure the best possible outcome. Additionally, we consider the hardware capabilities. This ensures that any changes or features we implement align with the device's capabilities. Rest assured, we're committed to providing the best experience for our users. Thank you for understanding.
4-14 19:57
Use props
okito.xyz
lvl.2
Peru

Any update? I am seriously thinking about selling my pocket 3 and my action 4 because they really don't give me the color management that they promise. We have 10 color bits that cannot be used because they do not release their DLog-M profile information
4-19 08:58
Use props
crypticc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-14 19:57
Hi there. While we strive to accommodate all requests, some may take time to process. Our team carefully evaluates each one to ensure the best possible outcome. Additionally, we consider the hardware capabilities. This ensures that any changes or features we implement align with the device's capabilities. Rest assured, we're committed to providing the best experience for our users. Thank you for understanding.

Hello @dji

Thanks for your responses but your wording and all the responses on the previous pages does suggest it's going to the incorrect team.
This is not a hardware issue so probably doesn't need a firmware update.
It's also not a software issue so we probably don't need a software update.**
So all we need is the statistics of the existing mapping.

And then ideally, but not essential, is a LUT cube file for the mapping from DLOG-M to Resolve.

** I say it's not a software issue but given this should be an easy request to just publish the information, that DJI are reluctant to push this is what's raising the alarm bells that they have something to hide. E.g. concern if it's not actually a desaturated profile straight off the sensor.
4-21 04:44
Use props
crypticc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello

Do the files like these and their meta files as used by the DJI app help anyone?

They're graphic and adobe .lut all to 709, but I was wondering if the profile that maps the HLG, LOG and DLogM all  into 709 could be used somehow.

I.e.  HLG - LUT to 709.  minus DLOGM LUT to 709 = HLG LUT to DLOGM differences??

Sorry but I don't know how the lut is encoded in the graph and lut files, but the latter looks to embed the former png into some Adobe encoded html. Encrypted html??
4-21 09:31
Use props
crypticc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Does mention of HG212 mean anything to anyone?
Also isn't 512 x 512 a 9 bit depth? Or do the frag files that I can see have formula effectively smooth out the gaps between the last significant bits?
4-21 09:32
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules