http://www.faa.gov/uas/

2015-9-2
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Read it and bookmarked it. Had an issue with a neighbor that did not want to have me fly over his property or take pictures of people on his property. Told him, "When you control the sky, I will comply."
2015-9-2
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

It really says NOTHING about flying over homes/property...just about airports, FAA airspace, and stadium events...
2015-9-2
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How to make friends and influence enemies.
2015-9-2
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-9-3 09:35
Thanks Read it and bookmarked it. Had an issue with a neighbor that did not want to have me fly over ...

Some people are morons... The Neighbor across the street yelled at me that he was going to shot it down my P3... I just ignored him and continued to fly... about 15 mins after I was done I see the Sheriff show and talk to the guy... It seems he said I was harassing him...  don't know how to deal with this moron...
2015-9-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-9-2 23:21
Some people are morons... The Neighbor across the street yelled at me that he was going to shot it ...

Time for payback......
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-9-3 11:21
Some people are morons... The Neighbor across the street yelled at me that he was going to shot it ...

the best way is know your rights, and make sure you dont bow down to uninformed people and law enforcement officer who may not know your rights regarding the legal use of your Quad.
go over and talk to him, show him the images from the camera, so he understands that you cant see diddly squat from up there, no zoom lenses, no night vision, no infra, no microphones, red, etc etc. if a logical person, he will see that there is no violation of his privacy. ask him what would be the difference if u were flying a model airplane instead, IT IS THE NOTION OF BEING SPIED ON that is causing all these cases!!
2015-9-2
Use props
Curious George
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73593 ft

United States

I had an encounter with a quasi-hostile bystander at the park recently. After landing my P3P from an over water flight, the older man approached me and asked if I had a license to fly my craft. "No? Well, what if you hit someone? Do you have insurance?"

While the man's manner was initially unpleasant, I opted for the strategy of taking a few minutes to explain the operation and safeguards of my craft. Over the space of 5 or 10 minutes, his demeanor changed from annoyed to inquisitive, and I patiently answered his questions as best I could.

I know this won't be the outcome with every stranger who comes to the conversation primed with anger and defensiveness, but I really think we have to make that effort, so that the minority of irresponsible fliers don't become the face of our hobby.  
2015-9-2
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Curious George Posted at 2015-9-3 12:12
I had an encounter with a quasi-hostile bystander at the park recently. After landing my P3P from an ...

Nicely done! You get way more with sugar the you do with vinegar.  

I have said this before, if Apple were to come out with an iPhone you could tear the corner off of it and toss it in the air and control it to take photos and video, the masses would think it was a greatest invention ever, embrace it and instantly camp out in a line overnight to buy them .  My question is, what would be the difference between that and one of our phantoms? The media is responsible for the masses thinking that multi-rotors are violating there rights.  I carry copies of the FAA's recommendations and hand them to people that think I am in the wrong. Then I take that opportunity to show them how my P3 works and how fun they are. Most of the time they walk away with a new perspective.

-Dog

2015-9-2
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

Curious George Posted at 2015-9-3 00:12
I had an encounter with a quasi-hostile bystander at the park recently. After landing my P3P from an ...

Agreed!  We need to be able to try and take the high road.  Yes, you can stand on your "right" to fly as a hobbyist, but those "rights" can be taken away very quickly.  Heck, look at what is being proposed in California, if that law passes, drone flying there is not really going to be a reality.

As you said, not everyone is going to agree, and there will always be people that feel a quad flying over their property at any height is wrong, that is fine, that is their opinion.. But if enough of those opinions change the perception of quads, the law makers will act...
2015-9-3
Use props
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

If someone threatens to shoot down your UAS in the U.S. Remind them that the FAA has deemed a UAS to be an aircraft. Thus, technically, shooting down a UAS is a federal crime. 20 years in prison and up to $250,000 fine. Don't know that a federal judge would impose that sentence but that's what the federal statute says.
2015-9-6
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

If they are worried about your drone flying over their property, wait until Google & Amazon get their way and they won't even notice yours!!
2015-9-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I was happily flying in a public park, where others quietly flew their kites, it was a mildly windy evening.
As I was bringing it down to switch out with a fresh battery, and take a moment to reflect.
I noticed a pretty, young lady, standing about thirty yards behind me, and talking on her cell phone.
Once the quad landed and I was removing the spent battery, she wandered nearer to my location.
She asked me if that thing has a camera on it , and I proclaimed, oh Yes, it does.
& Won't you please, allow me to show you, what it sees...?
When she saw how diminutive it all appeared, she'd wandered away, a bit perplexed.
I think she was expecting awesome high grain close ups. Like my Nikon D800 produces, with 36 megapixels. ;-)
We need to educate these worry warts, one individual at a time, if that's what it takes, to turn it back around to a more positive situation.
Sorry to Drone on, about my Drone, but we should share these stories and find best ways to resolve the conflicting foes.

What else you gonna do for her, 'Slap the Focker's'? ;-)

RedHotPoker

2015-9-6
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-6 16:40
I was happily flying in a public park, where others quietly flew their kites, it was a mildly windy  ...

Guess she was trying to figure out how you were going to get up-skirt pictures from 200 feet up RHP.

After all, you did state she was a blonde.
2015-9-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

She was certainly having herself a Blonde Moment, regardless of her flowing locks. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2015-9-6
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Curious George Posted at 2015-9-3 12:12

My immediate retort would have been "I don't have a license for the drone but I have one for the pistol in my waistband".
2015-9-6
Use props
drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178553 ft
United States

That would be a great discussion: Bystander complaints.
When flying from my backyard, I got my first complaint from a neighbor. She yelled at me from the middle of the street not to fly over her yard, I yelled back, "I'm not".
I went inside my house, then my door bell rang. She said, "Don't fly over my yard, I have a pool!" I did NOT say the first things that popped into my head, "Were you concerned I was going to make a water landing?" or "Anyone tell you that you look exactly like actress Kathy Bates from the movie MISERY?" (The LAST person I would spy on if I did.)  Before I could offer to show her the beautiful DJI app that shows my flight plan proving I did not fly over her house and the closest to her house was at an altitude of 200 feet, she continued with, "Don't do it or I'll make a report! That's it." And left. Not a good first impression with the neighbor that begins our relationship with a lie, as I didn't fly again that evening but minutes later the police showed up at my door. She called the cops anyway. Maybe she could read the insults in my mind? The police were "Apologetic"! "Sorry to bother you but..." type of thing. Because in my favor, this neighbor has problems and complains about EVERY NEIGHBOR! And she is shown to always be in the wrong. More frightening, she is a Psychotherapist. emphasis on PSYCHO! I looked at the footage and saw her when I tilted the camera down to land in my yard. She was running down the street with one of those long pole pool cleaners with a net. I think she was hoping to butterfly net catch my Phantom 3 Pro!!!
2015-9-11
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

drone@belche.co Posted at 2015-9-11 19:30
When flying from my backyard, I got my firs ...

Good grief! If I was your neighbour I'd just fly my drone too.
2015-9-11
Use props
drone
lvl.1
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-11 14:41
Good grief! If I was your neighbour I'd just fly my drone too.

The good news is I had long and entertaining conversations with the Police. They already know me, a good thing not a bad thing! And they were very interested in my new toy. They now know the difficulty to prosecute a complaint against moi, if I am flying safely and able to produce immediate proof of my actions. But being polite and patient is the way to go. I was VERY NICE, but when attacked I don't think nice thoughts.
2015-9-11
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

drone@belche.co Posted at 2015-9-11 20:07
The good news is I had long and entertaining conversations with the Police. They already know me,  ...

You did well... I might have told the silly cow not to be so ridiculous!
2015-9-11
Use props
drone
lvl.1
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-11 15:15
You did well... I might have told the silly cow not to be so ridiculous!

I'm just glad I'm not alone pointing out the crazy neighbor several houses away. I am very lucky that I know personally 6 houses of neighbors and we all get along! I just joined their club of "Crazy Lady Fan Club".
2015-9-11
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

drone@belche.co Posted at 2015-9-11 20:20
I'm just glad I'm not alone pointing out the crazy neighbor several houses away. I am very lucky t ...

Enjoy! At the next groups meeting perhaps you can all go out with your cameras and take photos of the pavement in front of her house - just for the sheer delight and fun of a club field trip!
2015-9-11
Use props
drone
lvl.1
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-11 16:02
Enjoy! At the next groups meeting perhaps you can all go out with your cameras and take photos of  ...

You are EVIL! I like that. And I thought I was bad! I'm just trying to learn as fast as possible to later shoot footage for a reality show I am supposed to do pitch meetings this month. Geesh, stay in my own backyard, My town is a reality show!
2015-9-11
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

drone@belche.co Posted at 2015-9-11 11:30
When flying from my backyard, I got my firs ...

OMG, I think you moved next door to my ex-wife. Another loony psychotherapist (ain't they all?).
2015-9-11
Use props
drone
lvl.1
United States

While in my back yard, another neighbor started walking towards me and said, "Hey!" As he saw my drone was landing. He then abruptly walked away as I was landing my P3P straight down in my yard. 50 feet away from him. Nowhere near his yard. What would his complaint be? A quick explanation is to tell people with a camera in their phone, take a photo one block or two blocks away, is your privacy violated?
2015-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules