Effective range in CE mode very weak
742 12 2023-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_nBUWCyOufnhG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814045 ft
Turkey

Urban range in CE mode is very weak with Mini 2 SE. FPV stream is freezing after 1 kilometer distance.
It's coming back after 1-2 seconds but you can tell the connection is not healty.
I'm adding some photos from the locations it had connection issues.
Those locations are not very densely populated. There shouldn't be too much WIFI usage.
Another problem is starting in 5.8 ghz mode in the middle of nowhere and not switching to 2.4 ghz when the connection gets weaker.
I don't think OccuSync 2.0 is supposed to work like this.
5.8 ghz mode has 1km range, it's not 2km as claimed for CE mode.

DJI_0163.MP4_snapshot_06.02.065.jpg
DJI_0176.MP4_snapshot_03.23.581.jpg
2023-9-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Those locations are not very densely populated. There shouldn't be too much WIFI usage.
Look at those pictures ... it's a densely populated urban area and the air is going to be full of wifi signals.
If you want greater range, go somewhere that isn't an urban area.
2023-9-22
Use props
djiuser_nBUWCyOufnhG
lvl.3
Turkey

Labroides Posted at 9-22 12:42
Look at those pictures ... it's a densely populated urban area and the air is going to be full of wifi signals.
If you want greater range, go somewhere that isn't an urban area.

I understand but every device in the area except the drone is working in FCC mode. Wifi router makers doesn't care about such things.
2023-9-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_nBUWCyOufnhG Posted at 9-22 13:00
I understand but every device in the area except the drone is working in FCC mode. Wifi router makers doesn't care about such things.

"but every device in the area except the drone is working in FCC mode. W......"  what point are you trying to make with that comment? Does the use of FCC imply a fixed frequency? That's a genuine question.

My understanding of one difference between CE & FCC modes is that the FCC radiates at appreciably greater power than CE and consequentially the potential interference from FCC wifi routers would be greater, wouldn't it?
2023-9-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Virtually every building in those photos is a tower block and aside from all the probable wifi transmitters radiating their signals those buildings I would have to ask, where was the controller? On the ground perhaps and was the control signal's line of sight to the drone THROUGH a multitude of reinforced concrete buildings?
2023-9-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Makes no sense, why would the routers be in FCC in an EU country?
I would be very surprised if they are in FCC, either way, as has already been said, you're gonna have Wi-Fi issues in that area, but far worse if the routers are in fact, in FCC mode.
The Mini 2 SE doesn't have the greatest range so you're handicapped even without interference, so you need to fly in the most optimum places, i.e. wide open spaces, no buildings or forests etc
2023-9-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Please try to fly to a different location to further isolate the issue. Make sure that you are flying in an open area with a strong GPS signal then check if the issue persists. You may provide us with a screen recording showing the errors so we can check it. Please let us know. Thank you.  
2023-9-22
Use props
djiuser_nBUWCyOufnhG
lvl.3
Turkey

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-22 19:17
Why do you feel this area is not densely populated?  The area is jam-packed with hundreds of high rises amounting to thousands of individual dwellings, each a potential source of Wi-Fi & other forms of RF interference?   You need to get away from all those structures.  Venture out over open water, the country, or those mountains in the background.  There you will achieve much better range.

The main difference between CE & FCC mode is the power level of the transmitter.  I am puzzled as to  why an area would permit Wi-FI routers to operate in FCC mode while restricting drones to CE mode but, if that is accurate, it makes it even more difficult for your drone's CE-power RC to deal with the competing Wi-Fi signals.   To increase range in the area you can try one of the hacks that forces your drone into FCC mode.

I had RC Signal interference while the drone is 273 meters away and flying 86m above the sea.
I was sitting at least 250 meters away from any buildings.
There were tall buildings in the area at that moment too.
There is no upper limit for WIFI routers antenna power.
But DJI thinks every wireless device in turkey is subject to CE specifications.
2023-9-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_nBUWCyOufnhG Posted at 9-22 21:52
I had RC Signal interference while the drone is 273 meters away and flying 86m above the sea.
I was sitting at least 250 meters away from any buildings.
There were tall buildings in the area at that moment too.

Is Turkey a supposedly CE compliant country?
If so and DJI are complying with those regulations then it is not DJI's problem if others break those regulations and radiate at FCC power levels, that is something you should draw to the attention of the Turkish authorities.

Try flying elsewhere, in open countryside well away from any built up area, with clear line of sight to the drone or, a stretch of remote coast line, again, well away from any source of radio interference.
I have seen my CE mavic mini lose connection at 200m in one place and just break 2km in another. I have also seen another CE Mavic Mini reach well beyond 2km, it all depends on the interference environment.

Additionally, ensure you are aiming the antennae at the drone in the correct manner. I have seen more than one youtube idiot ranting about range whilst aiming the antennae straight up into the sky which is possibly the second worst possible direction, straight at the ground might be worse.
2023-9-22
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

According to DJI information, the RC2 should provide a more stable connection and it should not be necessary
that the remote control is always aligned with the drone, is this true in reality? - If it is really true and works
that I do not always have to align the RC2 optimally, that would be a very good improvement for me.
2023-9-22
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-7 16:27
Use props
Sylvester Sam
lvl.1
Indonesia

Yeah that is densely populated area so it will hamper the drone effective range. Nice pictures though, Mini 2 SE camera is indeed great for what it's worth.
3-6 00:54
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

Sylvester Sam Posted at 3-6 00:54
Yeah that is densely populated area so it will hamper the drone effective range. Nice pictures though, Mini 2 SE camera is indeed great for what it's worth.

Yes, the camera is really good. It feels like a flying iPhone
3-6 01:13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules