DJI Pocket 2 as a tracking webcam - the right way to do it?
7369 12 2023-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I may have found out a way to use the Pocket 2 as a tracking-enabled webcam on a Windows PC, will list my process here and would like to hear opinions on if there, for instance, would be a more efficient, safer, less-resource-hogging etc. way to do it. Also, in case somebody is wondering how to do this, and in case this is the way to make it, I'll list it here.

What you will need for this:
-The Pocket 2
-The Do-It-All-handle
-External microphone to connect to the DIA Handle (Optional)
-A tripod for the Pocket 2 (Optional but recommended)
-An Android or iPhone with the DJI Mimo app installed
-A Windows PC with the following software installed: MonaServer, OBS Studio with OBS Virtual Camera
-A router or a wifi hotspot that has been configured to be detected as a private network by the Windows PC

The process itself:
- If not already connected to a Private network, connect your PC to a wifi-enabled network that has been configured as Private on your PC. Connecting the PC to the router via an Ethernet cable likely makes the network considered to be Private, with wifi network you may have to do a little more work. Check your network settings on Windows to make sure the network shows as Private, not Public. If the network is shown as Public, the Pocket 2 may not be able to establish the connection to OBS. You should be able to change the wifi network to public through Windows firewall and network settings (selecting it as 'trusted' network). However, if Windows keeps on switching the network to Public (as it did for me), you could try installing a trusted third-party firewall and change the same setting through it. My problem with this was solved when I installed the firewall to my security/antivirus software (mine is free version of Avast) and changed the setting through that, it seems like it overrides the Windows firewall settings and ensures the network setting stays as Private.

- Install the software on your PC if it's not already installed. MonaServer can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/monaserver/, the OBS Studio download is at https://obsproject.com/download.
- Connect the DIA Handle and the possible external microphone to the Pocket 2. Put the Pocket 2 on the tripod if you don't want to hold it in your hand.
- Start up the MonaServer on your PC. Make sure to keep it running while using the Pocket 2 as a webcam. Check the address number mentioned after RTMP, pay special attention to the number after the : .
- Check out your computer's IPv4 address if you don't already know it. You can do this by entering the Command Prompt on Windows (type cmd in Windows search bar and press Enter or select Command Prompt from the results) and typing ipconfig /all. You should see a listing that mentions the IPv4 address. Make sure to remember this address number.
- Start up the OBS Studio and add a new scene. In the scene, add a Media Source and configure it. Remove the mark from the 'Local file' option, then type the following to the address field: rtmp://(your IPv4 address) : (the number after the MonaServer's RTMP IP)
For example, if your IPv4 address were 192.168.1.1 and the number at the Monaserver's IP info after the : was 1935, you would type: rtmp://192.168.1.1:1935
After typing, select OK.
- Start up the Mimo app on your mobile device and connect the Pocket 2 to the Mimo app. When you see the camera preview in the Mimo app, select 'Livestream' from the right. From the following menu for the service, select RTMP.
- There, select the router or wifi hotspot to which the PC has been connected from the Camera Network option, then for the RTMP URL, type the same address you typed for the OBS address field. Setup the other options as you wish, then select 'Start Livestream'.
- If everything went as it was supposed to, you should now see the Pocket 2's view in the OBS preview window. You can now enable the OBS Virtual Camera, then select it from the software you wish to use the Pocket 2 with (displays as 'OBS Virtual Camera'). You can now shut the Mimo app from the mobile device.

- To enable the tracking, double-tap the subject you want to be tracked on the Pocket 2's touchscreen. To end streaming, swipe left or right on the touchscreen and confirm you want to stop streaming.

So what do you guys think? Is this a good workaround or is there something that should be done better for it to work? Thanks in advance for any feedback and opinions!

2023-9-23
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Tried this today on my workplace, but for some reason couldn't get it to work, neither with a fixed wifi router nor a mobile hotspot. I wonder what makes the difference between success and failure here.

EDIT: It works now, see other posts for further information.
2023-9-25
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

HGDC84 Posted at 9-25 02:52
Tried this today on my workplace, but for some reason couldn't get it to work, neither with a fixed wifi router nor a mobile hotspot. I wonder what makes the difference between success and failure here.

What makes this even weirder is that streaming straight to YouTube using a mobile hotspot went without a hitch, but the moment I attempt with the same setup to OBS, it stops working. Something comes up all the time, such as "Livestream settings not saved", "Livestream failed, please try again" or the livestream "starting up", but with the Pocket 2 display stuck in the " Preparing livestream" view, the Mimo app showing the "Livestream started" window but no time running, and no picture on OBS stream. Any ideas would be very welcome, please?

EDIT: Got it working, see the original post and replies for further information.
2023-9-25
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Will attempt to try using it with a separate mobile wifi router that has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, will see if that makes any kind of a difference. In the meanwhile, any possible suggestions to make it work are more than welcome. I especially struggle to get it to connect to both the wifi hotspot and the Pocket 2 at the same time (it seems like it needs to do that in order to start the livestream).

EDIT: Nothing to do with frequencies, got it up and running.
2023-9-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Finally got it working, the solution was to make sure the wifi network was recognized as Private in the Windows network settings. Tried switching it first from the Windows Defender firewall and network setting, but it kept on switching back to Public. However, after I installed the firewall component to my security software (mine is the free version of Avast) and configured the wifi network as Trusted there, it seemed to override the Windows settings and kept the network as private. So now working with the Pocket 2 and the DIA Handle, two phones (one for the Mimo app and another for wifi hotspot) and a laptop PC, making for a portable setup.

Hope this helps anybody who has struggled to make the Pocket 2 work as a webcam. Having a tracking-enabled webcam with the chance to add overlays through OBS is pretty cool
2023-10-2
Use props
themonikerisgoy
New

Philippines

Can you help me with DJI osmo mobile 6? I don't see livestream feature in DJI mimo app
2-20 21:51
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

themonikerisgoy Posted at 2-20 21:51
Can you help me with DJI osmo mobile 6? I don't see livestream feature in DJI mimo app

Unfortunately, I don't own the Osmo Mobile 6 myself, so I don't have any experience on it myself. I did a quick research and, unfortunately, according to this thread the OM6 does not support livestreaming through the Mimo app: https://forum.dji.com/thread-293588-1-1.html

Depending on your use scenario and the functions needed, you could possibly use a third-party app for the livestreaming, but that has the disadvantage of possibly not being able to use some functions such as zooming and facetracking.

In general, I have no experience on the DJI's smartphone gimbals, so I don't know if some of them have the function to livestream through the Mimo app, but I do know for sure the Pocket 2 and the Osmo Pocket 3 support this, so those could possibly be better options for this if you, for example, need facetracking, zooming or other additional functions.
2-21 12:52
Use props
themonikerisgoy
New

Philippines

HGDC84 Posted at 2-21 12:52
Unfortunately, I don't own the Osmo Mobile 6 myself, so I don't have any experience on it myself. I did a quick research and, unfortunately, according to this thread the OM6 does not support livestreaming through the Mimo app: https://forum.dji.com/thread-293588-1-1.html

Depending on your use scenario and the functions needed, you could possibly use a third-party app for the livestreaming, but that has the disadvantage of possibly not being able to use some functions such as zooming and facetracking.

Thank you! Yes, I guess this is not possible.
2-22 12:24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

themonikerisgoy Posted at 2-22 12:24
Thank you! Yes, I guess this is not possible.

I hope you find a satisfactory way to get the option some other way. Personally, I am quite happy with the Pocket 2, but if you have the budget, then in some cases, the Pocket 3 could be a better option.
2-24 03:05
Use props
Tech For Life
New

United Kingdom

2024 and still no official way to do it. I got the pocket 2 only to use it as a webcame, and find out its not possible. Thanks DJI
3-31 10:52
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Tech For Life Posted at 3-31 10:52
2024 and still no official way to do it. I got the pocket 2 only to use it as a webcame, and find out its not possible. Thanks DJI

No wonder it peeves you off. It is disappointing, especially when the unofficial solution has proven it to be technically possible. While using it as a webcam never was my primary reason of getting one, I certainly wouldn't have minded having the option.
4-1 08:28
Use props
aaroneous
New
Flight distance : 157356 ft
United States

Is it necessary to have the do it all handle for this? I have the wifi stand that allows me to attach it to the mimo app. But there is no option for streaming.
4-16 06:27
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

aaroneous Posted at 4-16 06:27
Is it necessary to have the do it all handle for this? I have the wifi stand that allows me to attach it to the mimo app. But there is no option for streaming.

I suspect you specifically need the DIA Handle for streaming, at least I haven't heard anyone pulling it off with the original Osmo Pocket's wifi adapter.
4-18 13:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules