DJI Osmo Action 4: 1 Month Later
2559 7 2023-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
argofowl
lvl.2

United States

In this video, I share my latest findings in the DJI Osmo Action 4 universe. I discuss the 01.02.06.10 Firmware update that brings new features like Pre Recording and Highlights, I also share my thoughts on the possible USB-C port issues and provide an update on the SmallRig cage.

Other related videos that might be helpful:

Best Settings Video:
Action 4 as Webcam Video: My First Vlog w/ Action 4:

Hope this helps someone!

2023-9-26
Use props
Geoff Burke
lvl.2
Flight distance : 733684 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I can't seem to find info relating to 'Horizon Balancing' with FOV options for the Action 4, i.e. is it limited to Dewarp or working with Wide or Super wide settings.  
I require a wider FOV but also Horizon Balancing as the camera is mouth mounted and both the kayak and my body/head moves off horizontal.
I'm wanting to return to DJI Action from GoPro as the Hero 10 I use only gives a Narrow (Linear) FOV which is too restrictive when sea kayaking through rocks and reefs, missing out on detail just out of shot. It's also unreliable (locks up) but that another story!!
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Regards  Geoff
2023-10-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1180089 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Geoff Burke Posted at 10-2 00:23
Hi, I can't seem to find info relating to 'Horizon Balancing' with FOV options for the Action 4, i.e. is it limited to Dewarp or working with Wide or Super wide settings.  
I require a wider FOV but also Horizon Balancing as the camera is mouth mounted and both the kayak and my body/head moves off horizontal.
I'm wanting to return to DJI Action from GoPro as the Hero 10 I use only gives a Narrow (Linear) FOV which is too restrictive when sea kayaking through rocks and reefs, missing out on detail just out of shot. It's also unreliable (locks up) but that another story!!

You find it under Rocksteady menu.
Can't remember which, but one of them is not working with 4K.
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 322005 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geoff Burke Posted at 10-2 00:23
I'm wanting to return to DJI Action from GoPro as the Hero 10 I use only gives a Narrow (Linear) FOV which is too restrictive when sea kayaking through rocks and reefs, missing out on detail just out of shot. It's also unreliable (locks up) but that another story!!

I definitely think something is up with either the camera settings or the camera itself if your experiencing lockups. I use my OA4 quite often and have yet (kock on wood or other evil spirit diversion technique) to have mine lockup. I would consider (if you have time to investigate) resetting the camera back to factory settings and trying it out to see if it locks up after that. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty SD card. Probably not the case, but worth looking at to make sure it meets specs or is close to meeting its read/write cycles. I don't hear much about OA4 lockups to offer much more advise on that part. Follow what johanesnfoto offered for the HB settings though.
2023-10-2
Use props
Geoff Burke
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 10-2 11:57
I definitely think something is up with either the camera settings or the camera itself if your experiencing lockups. I use my OA4 quite often and have yet (kock on wood or other evil spirit diversion technique) to have mine lockup. I would consider (if you have time to investigate) resetting the camera back to factory settings and trying it out to see if it locks up after that. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty SD card. Probably not the case, but worth looking at to make sure it meets specs or is close to meeting its read/write cycles. I don't hear much about OA4 lockups to offer much more advise on that part. Follow what johanesnfoto offered for the HB settings though.

Hi Jody, thanks for your help.  Sorry i think youve misread my possibly badly worded post.
Its my current Hero 10 that is locking up, they have a reputation for it.   
My query is a pre purchase question relating to: Horizon Balancing FOV options on the OA4
Example Scenario...using the OA4 For sea kayaking held in my mouth upside down (so i can see) using a bite mount for advanced wild action kayaking between rock and reefs, so i need 'Horizon balancing' but also require a wide field of view in narrow sometimes tight gulley's or action when paddling alongside others.
I hope this explains my requirements better, and I really hope you can help...Thank you so much!
I had the Original Ozmo Action which i loved, but at that time no Horizon Balancing  and picture quality wasn't matching GoPro

Footage on my YouTube channel probably explains shooting conditions requirements better. Feel free to browse.
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 322005 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geoff Burke Posted at 10-2 23:32
Hi Jody, thanks for your help.  Sorry i think youve misread my possibly badly worded post.
Its my current Hero 10 that is locking up, they have a reputation for it.   
My query is a pre purchase question relating to: Horizon Balancing FOV options on the OA4

My apologies Geoff, I did misunderstand your post. I thought you were talking about an OA4 that was locking up. I've not had any experience with GoPro camera's but I have heard that they have that reputation from friends of mine and on Youtube and such as well. What prompted me to go with DJI's line of action cams was my experience with their drones. That and the fact that I have both brands of camera's and their accessories available to me through my local best buy. When I got my first action cam, that was the OA1, I was on the fence between the two so bad but it was the experience with the drones that eventually made my mind up and got the OA1. I still use my original OA1 too.

I digress though. Here's a blurb from the DJI website about the stabilization on the OA4 hope this is what you are looking for:
EIS:
RockSteady 3.0
RockSteady 3.0+
HorizonBalancing
HorizonSteady
EIS is not supported in Slow Motion and Timelapse modes. HorizonSteady is only available when the video resolution is 1080p (16:9) or 2.7K (16:9) with a frame rate of 60fps or below. HorizonBalancing is only available when the video resolution is 1080p (16:9), 2.7K (16:9), or 4K (16:9) with a frame rate of 60 fps or below.
2023-10-3
Use props
Geoff Burke
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Jody and thanks for your reply and 'Horizon Balancing'  specifications relating to resolution and frame rate, however I'm still a little in the dark with regard to 'Field of View' i.e. Dewarp, Wide and Super Wide with HorizonBalancing??
I realise It's asking a lot but as you own an Action 4, could you try 'Horizon Balancing' in those Formats i.e. 4k 60 fps in Dewarp, Wide and Super Wide.  I suspect Super wide may  be too much to hope for, but if it works in wide I'd certainly be buying the Action 4.
Also can you confirm that the camera can be used upside down with Horizon Balancing,  as the mouth mount requires the camera to be inverted to allow me to see.   Thanks so much for you help so far and I would really appreciate hearing the results of that quick test for me.
Best Regards   Geoff
2023-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2023-11-24
Use props
Advanced