3416 56 2023-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Necronomic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225535 ft
Sweden

Hi!

I've recently got an pretty large powerbank with 50000 mAh both with 100W and 30W output.
When I'm trying to charge the batteries through 100W port to the battery hub, the hub goes to accumulating mode instead.

Is it not possible to use 100W powerbank with DJI Air 3 Battery Charging Hub or is it something faulty with my powerbank? Anywone else with 100W powerbank out there?

Other scenarios:
30W directly to the hub works fine, just abit slow.
100W direclty to the Air 3 works fine too, but max 65W.

The powerbank I'm currently using is this one:
https://sandberg.world/en-gb/product/powerbank-usb-c-pd-130w-50000

Thanks in advance!
2023-9-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We do apologize for the trouble. The DJI Air 3 Battery Charging Hub does support the Power Bank function. Please insert the Intelligent Flighty Battery into the charging hub. Connect an external device via the USB-C port, such as a mobile phone or RC. Press the function button and the status LED of the charging hub will turn solid green. The battery with the lowest power level will be discharged first, followed by the remaining batteries to be discharged sequentially.

To stop accumulating power, press and hold the function button until the status LED turns yellow.  After stopping power accumulation, press the function button to check the power level of the batteries.

The Power Accumulation function will stop in the following states:

1) The battery with the highest remaining battery level is fully charged, or the battery level of batteries that transmit power to the battery with the highest remaining battery level is lower than 5%.

Note: Power transmission stops when the battery level of all the batteries that transmit power to the battery with the highest remaining battery level is lower than 5%.

2) The batteries with the relatively high remaining power are fully charged.
3) Insert or remove any of the batteries.
4) Press and hold the function button on the battery charging hub.
5) A device is connected to the charging hub via the USB port.  
2023-9-27
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-27 17:39
Hi there. We do apologize for the trouble. The DJI Air 3 Battery Charging Hub does support the Power Bank function. Please insert the Intelligent Flighty Battery into the charging hub. Connect an external device via the USB-C port, such as a mobile phone or RC. Press the function button and the status LED of the charging hub will turn solid green. The battery with the lowest power level will be discharged first, followed by the remaining batteries to be discharged sequentially.

To stop accumulating power, press and hold the function button until the status LED turns yellow.  After stopping power accumulation, press the function button to check the power level of the batteries.

Hello there!

I think you missunderstood my question...?
I want to charge Air 3 batteries FROM my powerbanks 100W usb-c output TO Air 3 Battery Charging Hub.

Using Air 3 Battery Charging Hub as powerbank to charge other external devices works fine.
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Necronomic Posted at 9-28 05:27
Hello there!

I think you missunderstood my question...?

Thank you for your response. Please try to follow the steps above to stop the accumulating power and then check. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-9-29
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-29 20:05
Thank you for your response. Please try to follow the steps above to stop the accumulating power and then check. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

It still doesn't work. Not charging when I stop the accumulating power. It's either yellow solid light or no light at all on the charging hub.

30W from powerbank works fine, and also fixed 65W AC-adapter.
I've also tried 3 different USB-C cables, same issues remain.
2023-9-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Necronomic Posted at 9-30 08:53
It still doesn't work. Not charging when I stop the accumulating power. It's either yellow solid light or no light at all on the charging hub.

30W from powerbank works fine, and also fixed 65W AC-adapter.

Thank you for keeping us posted and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please create a video showing the issue so we can check it further? You may upload the video via Google Drive and send the link to us. Thank you for your cooperation.
2023-10-2
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use several different Mophie power banks without issues.
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know how relavant this may be, but an issue I had when sourcing a 100w charger is that the first one I bought, only support PD power output. I could connect the charger to the charging hub and the light would turn on yellow and then go out completely. No charging. I looked at the chargers that DJI has in their store both the 65w and 100w (neither in stick at the moment) one and both was listed as supporting PD and  PPS power output. I then found a charger that supported both types of power output. After looking at the description of the power bank you have in question, I see it only supports PD power output. I do believe from the experience I had, this could possibly be your issue but you are dealing qith a battery bank charger and not a wall charger. As I learned its not exactly about how much power is output but how it's delivered.
2023-10-2
Use props
TotalNewb
lvl.1

Germany

Try plugging your powerbank into the wall plug as if charging your powerbank up, then plug a usb-c into the hub and see how the charge goes through, it might give you an idea that it is about the in and out specs of the powerbank
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

KLRSKIR Posted at 10-2 10:30
I use several different Mophie power banks without issues.

And you charge from Mophie powerbank to Air 3 battery hub at 100W?
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

TotalNewb Posted at 10-3 03:14
Try plugging your powerbank into the wall plug as if charging your powerbank up, then plug a usb-c into the hub and see how the charge goes through, it might give you an idea that it is about the in and out specs of the powerbank

I can't do that since my powerbank 100W output are also the input for charging
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

JodyB Posted at 10-2 10:38
I don't know how relavant this may be, but an issue I had when sourcing a 100w charger is that the first one I bought, only support PD power output. I could connect the charger to the charging hub and the light would turn on yellow and then go out completely. No charging. I looked at the chargers that DJI has in their store both the 65w and 100w (neither in stick at the moment) one and both was listed as supporting PD and  PPS power output. I then found a charger that supported both types of power output. After looking at the description of the power bank you have in question, I see it only supports PD power output. I do believe from the experience I had, this could possibly be your issue but you are dealing qith a battery bank charger and not a wall charger. As I learned its not exactly about how much power is output but how it's delivered.

Hi JodyB,

Good input! It may actually be that way. Too bad I can't see anything about PPS on the battery hub or the official DJI chargers.

Can anyone at DJI confirm this?
2023-10-3
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 05:52
And you charge from Mophie powerbank to Air 3 battery hub at 100W?

Yes, specifically this one. It has a 100W AC output that I use with the 100W DJI charger. I also use Jackery Powerstations when I'm in the field for extended periods of time without juice.
2023-10-3
Use props
TotalNewb
lvl.1

Germany

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 05:54
I can't do that since my powerbank 100W output are also the input for charging

Maybe try just one or 2 batteries in hub to see what happens
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 05:56
Hi JodyB,

Good input! It may actually be that way. Too bad I can't see anything about PPS on the battery hub or the official DJI chargers.

While I can't confirm that PPS is required other than my own experience, if you look at the overview of the official DJI 100W charger, it does list PPS as one of the two power output modes. Have a look here. Also the official DJI 65W charger here.
What gets me is that no charger is included with the A3, like we all just have scads of these stashed in a drawer somewhere that meets these requirements. I've read others posting that they used a 20W charger that for some unkown reason quit charging the hub after a period of time or just not at all. Makes me wonder sometimes.
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Something I just thought of, may not be anywhere close to the issue, but when you plug in your battery hub into the power bank, does the power bank show signs of it charging off the hub?
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

TotalNewb Posted at 10-3 07:59
Maybe try just one or 2 batteries in hub to see what happens

I've tried only charge one battery on the hub, it's still not charging, this is so strange...
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

KLRSKIR Posted at 10-3 06:59
Yes, specifically this one. It has a 100W AC output that I use with the 100W DJI charger. I also use Jackery Powerstations when I'm in the field for extended periods of time without juice.

Link is not working, but i've google after powerstation pro ac zagg, it doesn't seems to be a 100W powerbank?

I think it's totally working with an powerstation using correct ac-adapter.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

JodyB Posted at 10-3 08:04
While I can't confirm that PPS is required other than my own experience, if you look at the overview of the official DJI 100W charger, it does list PPS as one of the two power output modes. Have a look here. Also the official DJI 65W charger here.
What gets me is that no charger is included with the A3, like we all just have scads of these stashed in a drawer somewhere that meets these requirements. I've read others posting that they used a 20W charger that for some unkown reason quit charging the hub after a period of time or just not at all. Makes me wonder sometimes.

I've just recevied new ac-adapter today, with PPS support and it charges the battery hub just fine.
I think its my powerbank fault... But Mophie powerbanks seems to work so I'm a little confused here.

I saw now both the 65 and 100W official ac-adapters was supporting PPS too, so I guess you're totally right.

Thanks Jody!
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

JodyB Posted at 10-3 09:22
Something I just thought of, may not be anywhere close to the issue, but when you plug in your battery hub into the power bank, does the power bank show signs of it charging off the hub?

The charging hub actually charge the powerbank instead... I know, strange right
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Then my thoughts on PPS being the issue isn't correct. Seems like I've read about this issue with the previous generation of this controller but I sadly can't remember what came of it though
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

On another note, a lot of the larger Anker branded power banks seem to work also. Ian from London did a review on a lot of anker stuff and a power bank brand called Omnicharge I think was the brand, but I looked at the Omnicharge ones and they were crazy expensive.
2023-10-3
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 10-3 08:04
While I can't confirm that PPS is required other than my own experience, if you look at the overview of the official DJI 100W charger, it does list PPS as one of the two power output modes. Have a look here. Also the official DJI 65W charger here.

As I wrote in that other thread, 20 W charger is "basic" 6 Volt power supply used to charge 1 cell lipo battery (3,7 V) in phones while Air 3 has 4 cell battery (14,8 V) and the hub is made to be powered by 20 Volt power supply that can deliver at least 65 Watts.
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

In this case, the specifications of the sandberg power bank in question states that its port 3 (USB C out) can do a max of 20v/100w so it shouldn't really be an issue.
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Were you using port 3 when trying this Necronomic? I'm assuming you were since you mentioned that the port was combined input/output.
2023-10-3
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Necronomic:   It is strange that 100W output works fine plugged in to drone. Have You tried other power supply (65 W wall charger) with the hub?
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think the issue here is either the hub or the bank is getting confused on which should be input and which should be output.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-3 10:16
[view_image]

Were you using port 3 when trying this Necronomic? I'm assuming you were since you mentioned that the port was combined input/output.

Yes, of course
IN/OUT3 is the only one with 100W output. I'll make a quick video so you guys can check, I'll keep you updated.
2023-10-3
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-3 10:19
I think the issue here is either the hub or the bank is getting confused on which should be input and which should be output.

100% agree.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
United States

virtual Posted at 10-3 10:16
Necronomic:   It is strange that 100W output works fine plugged in to drone. Have You tried other power supply (65 W wall charger) with the hub?

65W regular adapter for pc works fine.
So does the new 130W AC adapter i've got today, it support PPS

I'll make a quick video so you guys can check it out.
I'll keep you updated.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-3 10:19
I think the issue here is either the hub or the bank is getting confused on which should be input and which should be output.

I hope not, because this is already confusing---
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 10:27
I hope not, because this is already confusing---

I know what your saying and I know I've read about another issue like this but can't for the life of me find the post.
2023-10-3
Use props
TotalNewb
lvl.1

Germany

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 09:25
I've tried only charge one battery on the hub, it's still not charging, this is so strange...

I can only imagine it is something to do with this PD3.0 QC3.0 Dji does say this is needed but I cannot see it in the specs of your powerbank, I can confirm Anker 737 powerbank with Anker 765 cable works fine
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TotalNweb maybe onto something here. The Sandberg power bank description doesn't mention anything about what version of PD or QC it supports, nor does it mention PPS. PPS wouldn't have anything to do with negotiating input or output, that would be PD's job. PPS (programmable power supply) is just an extension of PD to allow more granular scalability of the current being requested. PD does the actual negotiating and if its an older version, may not have the necessary ability to allow negotiation between power input and power output of a combined port. That would actually make sense. You plug in the battery hub into the bank, the hub makes a request, are you input or output? The hub never receives a response so it assumes its input (receiving) and sends it power.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

Just finished a short video here in pretty dark enviroment, sorry in advance!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJO-pB7xS7nAduScDseoOz5UEqbpGG7M/view?usp=sharing

Any help or idea would be appreciated!
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-2 03:01
Thank you for keeping us posted and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please create a video showing the issue so we can check it further? You may upload the video via Google Drive and send the link to us. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi,

Video are now created, link here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 7M/view?usp=sharing
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Necronomic Posted at 10-3 11:34
Hi,

Video are now created, link here:

Requested access. Might consider changing it to those with the link. If you aren't comfortable with that, I totally understand.
2023-10-3
Use props
Necronomic
lvl.2
United States

Link updated, sorry about that:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 7M/view?usp=sharing
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thats exactly whats happening. For some reason, whether it's PD (Power Delivery) version or what, one or the other is role confused and the hub is charging the battery bank. I'm not sure if you can return that battery bank, but it it was me I would consider returning it and finding one that has either a single usb c output or with 3, at least enough output only ports to support charging the hub and perhaps your controller as well. In any case, a dedicated charge port to charge the bank back up and not a combined port. It can have other USB ports if you need those as well like for a phone, but just remember, anything extra plugged into it will try to spread the current amongst all devices.
2023-10-3
Use props
TotalNewb
lvl.1

Germany

JodyB Posted at 10-3 11:56
Thats exactly whats happening. For some reason, whether it's PD (Power Delivery) version or what, one or the other is role confused and the hub is charging the battery bank. I'm not sure if you can return that battery bank, but it it was me I would consider returning it and finding one that has either a single usb c output or with 3, at least enough output only ports to support charging the hub and perhaps your controller as well. In any case, a dedicated charge port to charge the bank back up and not a combined port. It can have other USB ports if you need those as well like for a phone, but just remember, anything extra plugged into it will try to spread the current amongst all devices.

Yep looking like that, possible last throw of the dice would be, plug in powerbank to empty hub, then add battery after to see if it tricks it into charging the other way round
2023-10-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules