Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blackbuckone Posted at 10-3 12:05
Yes it made it over 12km, but with a forced landing so they had to go and find it.

I've taken my MP3 out to 4.2 km away, then bottled it and when I got it back it had around 20% battery.

You missed my point, it was the range, not whether it could make it back or not, your post was about the range and my video shows that it went over DJI's specified limit of 12km.

I myself managed 5.5km with the standard battery and at only 31m MAX height and got back with about 24% battery, this was achieved over very flat farmlands. The Mini 3 Pro is a very capable drone under the right conditions.
The max CE range for the Mini 4 Pro is probably close to achievable going by what the Mini 3 is capable of. BUT, you have to realise that DJI does not specify that the drone is capable of making it back or not, its the max achievable ''range''.

Now, had you checked and you go by the specs...

18 km (with Intelligent Flight Battery and measured while flying at 40.7 kph in a windless environment at 20 meters above sea level)

That actually tells you that the drone is capable of doing 18km round trip, thats 9km each way, so under the right conditions, 8km is possible. Unlikely but again, if that video i showed you for FCC, then anything is possible.
2023-10-3
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152569 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 10-2 19:51
Rest assured, under the right conditions someone will manage it or close, with the Mini 3 Pro, someone actually went past the 12km

For the last week or so lots of people have been moaning that draconian rules are about to be imposed limiting sub-250g drone flight to 120m. Why has the EU done this?  Because of the idiots who continue to break the drone rules and then boast about it on YouTube.  So here is another idiot boasting about how far they could fly their drone.  Which bit of VLOS don't they get?   This hobby is going to be killed off if idiots continue to break the rules
2023-10-4
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 10-3 10:39
You say "adopted here in the uk" not necessarily, we are not in the EU, the CAA make the rules in consultation with stakeholders.

Imagine in the UK if car speeds were capped at 70mph ! Never going to happen, like wise drivers doing excessive speed might cause a danger to life, a drone flown over the 120 metre limit might cause a danger to life.

Although we have left the EU, the CAA is still aligning itself to EASA.  So whether you like it or not, the 120m restriction is coming to the UK as well from 1/1/24.
2023-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
France

Steph Jant Posted at 10-4 02:16
For the last week or so lots of people have been moaning that draconian rules are about to be imposed limiting sub-250g drone flight to 120m. Why has the EU done this?  Because of the idiots who continue to break the drone rules and then boast about it on YouTube.  So here is another idiot boasting about how far they could fly their drone.  Which bit of VLOS don't they get?   This hobby is going to be killed off if idiots continue to break the rules

I love these holier-than-thou drone police, you know the ones,  the folk that are 100% perfect and never done anything wrong in their lives, speeding, even accidentally is breaking the law, so, go cry elsewhere, this forum is not here for drone policing.
2023-10-4
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Bashy Posted at 10-4 03:07
I love these holier-than-thou drone police, you know the ones,  the folk that are 100% perfect and never done anything wrong in their lives, speeding, even accidentally is breaking the law, so, go cry elsewhere, this forum is not here for drone policing.

Unfortunately he is not wrong.  The more drone users there are who publicly boast of violating the law, through ignorance or complete knowledge, the more the anti-drone people in the European Parliament will have arguments to impose ever more restrictions.  This is how the system works.

You wrote that this forum is not the drone police.  Police certainly not, but I find it prudent to remind these people that the laws exist.  That way, if they didn't know it, they would have discovered something, and if they knew it would remind them to be more discreet in the event that they were tempted to commit some exploit.

I regularly meet beginner remote pilots who do anything hoping to impress their friends on social network.  Mom and Dad are going to buy a drone at the local store, and the salesman the day before was selling washing machines, which means he knows nothing about drones and the law doesn't require them to do so.  Which I find very unfortunate.  So yes in my opinion it is up to us, more informed / advanced users, to provide information, but not the Police as you wrote.

2023-10-4
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 10-4 03:07

Jesus Bashy, you’re missing the point. If people didn’t break the rules then EASA, CAA, FAA, etc, wouldn’t have to bring in unfair draconian rules. Sounds like you don’t care about the rules being tightened. Well don’t come back crying when the rules become so strict we have to give up this expensive hobby.
2023-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
France

Steph Jant Posted at 10-4 05:39
Jesus Bashy, you’re missing the point. If people didn’t break the rules then EASA, CAA, FAA, etc, wouldn’t have to bring in unfair draconian rules. Sounds like you don’t care about the rules being tightened. Well don’t come back crying when the rules become so strict we have to give up this expensive hobby.

Its just Bashy, and you missed my point, you've never broken the speed limit, even by 1mph? cause i certainly have, by accident but mostly on purpose. The law is the law, we all take the risks. Preach all you like, its not like i fly like that all the time, its always when i get a new one to test its limits and thats it, can you say the same for speeding cause i know i cant, so preach to a different choir.

I don't have to but I will add that my range tests are done in the exact same place and exact same flight path and always at the same height of max 31m (try to keep to 30m), and its over ONLY farmland, no roads, no buildings except for 2 large barns, its always done at the weekend and or early hours, no activity from the farmers, the USAF jets do not fly, so I mitigate as much risk as possible, now, if there happens to be a 747 in my flightpath, then i'd say that they certainly have more to worry about than a sub 249g drone.

Youve both said your piece, I've said mine, lets not turn it into a police thread, its supposed to be about  Mini 4 pro vs Mini 3 Pro.
2023-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
France

LV_Forestry Posted at 10-4 03:22
Unfortunately he is not wrong.  The more drone users there are who publicly boast of violating the law, through ignorance or complete knowledge, the more the anti-drone people in the European Parliament will have arguments to impose ever more restrictions.  This is how the system works.

You wrote that this forum is not the drone police.  Police certainly not, but I find it prudent to remind these people that the laws exist.  That way, if they didn't know it, they would have discovered something, and if they knew it would remind them to be more discreet in the event that they were tempted to commit some exploit.

But im sure you know full well that i am not a beginner and its not like i really flaunt my range tests and it certainly wasn't a boast, I am also sure that that was obvious in my reply regarding the range as i was explaining what the drone is capable of.

You can say the same for speeding, yet i do not tell you how to drive...

Thats my last on the subject as its gone way off topic!
2023-10-4
Use props
djiuser_GVQgsyEor0K7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 497913 ft
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 9-27 22:38
I have always upgraded my Mini series drones and bought the latest version within hours of DJI launching their new product. However, 3 days later and I still have not bought the Mini 4 Pro. DJI has focussed more on upgrading the drone than the camera which is a missed opportunity. I started flying drones to get a camera in the sky not just to fly a drone. And although improvements have been made to video capture, I mainly use my drone for photography and I have yet to be convinced the Mini 4 Pro takes better pictures than the Mini 3 Pro. So I am undecided. Maybe DJI’s marketing strategy with the Mini 4 Pro is to focus on newbie drone pilots???

I've just created a post comparing the Mini 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro JPGs and the latter are much better.  
jpg comparison.JPG
2023-10-4
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 10-4 02:19
Although we have left the EU, the CAA is still aligning itself to EASA.  So whether you like it or not, the 120m restriction is coming to the UK as well from 1/1/24.

We will see. The CAA have n't adopted the EU class marking. A consultation has just been taken and closed on the 7th September 2023. Did you complete your return ?

We will have to see the conclusion of this survey and how the CAA will implement it.

2023-10-4
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Mavic57Minis Posted at 10-4 08:54
We will see. The CAA have n't adopted the EU class marking. A consultation has just been taken and closed on the 7th September 2023. Did you complete your return ?

We will have to see the conclusion of this survey and how the CAA will implement it.

The CAA is the UK's version of the FAA right?
2023-10-4
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_GVQgsyEor0K7 Posted at 10-4 06:44
I've just created a post comparing the Mini 3 Pro and Mini 4 Pro JPGs and the latter are much better.

Yaa right. We are that not that gullible on this forum.
2023-10-4
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Potato mini Posted at 10-4 08:57
The CAA is the UK's version of the FAA right?

Civil Aviation Authority, you are correct.
2023-10-4
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Mavic57Minis Posted at 10-4 09:08
Civil Aviation Authority, you are correct.

Thanks. Good to know
2023-10-4
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Must have gone very wrong, did you hold a freezer bag in front of the Mini 3 Pro ?

Mini 3 Pro is at least on par with the M4P and I would even say slightly better ...

2023-10-4
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mavic57Minis Posted at 10-4 08:54
We will see. The CAA have n't adopted the EU class marking. A consultation has just been taken and closed on the 7th September 2023. Did you complete your return ?

Yes, I did send my return to the CAA
2023-10-4
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Although I would love to think the Mini 4 Pro photos are this much better than the Mini 3 Pro they are not.  I say that with confidence having taken hundreds of pictures with both drones over the last few days.  Maybe you could share the original unedited JPEG files via Google Drive???
2023-10-4
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

An exceptional test video that I liked very much

2023-10-6
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

I like these well done tests by Philip Bloom very much, because they are very detailed

2023-10-7
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Shawgod Posted at 9-28 04:59
I am going to wait for the Mini 5 Pro at this time.  I can't wait to see what it will offer.  To be honest I can't think what more they can offer, but I am sure they can think of it.  Maybe further distance, which legally you can't use because you have to keep it in sight unless you have friends helping you keep track of it.  Maybe more refinements on the technology to make it better?  This model does offer most of everything that we want to see in a drone, especially a mini drone.

How bout something different this time,like maybe a camera upgrade as it is the most important
thing.
2023-10-7
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

Steph Jant Posted at 10-4 02:16
For the last week or so lots of people have been moaning that draconian rules are about to be imposed limiting sub-250g drone flight to 120m. Why has the EU done this?  Because of the idiots who continue to break the drone rules and then boast about it on YouTube.  So here is another idiot boasting about how far they could fly their drone.  Which bit of VLOS don't they get?   This hobby is going to be killed off if idiots continue to break the rules

Watch in the future with all of the crazy rule changes,yes RID included.
With all of the long distance flights being recorded by the brainless on social media.
They will end up going back to a standard WIFI signal just like it started to limit how far
the pilot could fly.Nothing at all would surprise me anymore.
2023-10-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-7 07:33
I watched this when he first achieved the amazing feat.  12,612 meters, (41,278' or 7.84 miles) is the hard-coded maximum distance from Home allowed with a Mini 3 Pro.  At least with the firmware & Fly version he was using at the time of this flight.  I assume this hard limit has been increased for the Mini 4 Pro with it's "20 KM" (65,617 ' or 12.4 miles) O4 range?

You certainly would expect that to be the case, perhaps we will find out soon if he does this again
2023-10-7
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6224147 ft
Cyprus

SeehawerB Posted at 9-27 22:49
I received my Mini 4 Pro two days ago. And I love it. The Mini 3 Pro will stay with me also because of it being NOT C0 classified which gives one very big advantage over the M4P: I can fly it 120m above ground. If the ground under the drone is rising the M3P can rise with it to a total of 500 meters. This is a big thing. I will travel to South Tyrol tomorrow and 2 drones will be with me on this tour: the Air 3 (for fast and tele shots) and the Mini 3 Pro (because of NOT being C0, mountain flying).

For anything in tight places with lots of population (cities...) I will use the M4P, for shots in the open country I will stick with the M3P. In EASA airspace a drone under 250g had, has and will have almost no restrictions. Even if it is legacy and though not bound to any limits the EASA has set.

Can you please compare their cameras please especially in low light and give us some feedback?
2023-10-12
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-27 21:52
Maybe next year... if the Mini 3 Pro does break down...

they all be in good condition, coz 90% of the time the minis are off on a lonnnggggg vacation with the wind.

I know claims are made of same level wind resistance, but trust me, in the following clip I can 100% guarantee any of my previous Mini drones would have gone bye bye....but the Air series perform like they are superglued to a scaffolding In very high winds.

Hence If Idecided to upgrade, I know that with the Air series, I can open my window, look at my wind sock and 90% of the time ITS FLY TIME BABY!!

Where as when I had my Mini drones a lot of of the time It was CRY time.

Matt
2023-10-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Staffydog33 Posted at 10-13 16:32
they all be in good condition, coz 90% of the time the minis are off on a lonnnggggg vacation with the wind.

I know claims are made of same level wind resistance, but trust me, in the following clip I can 100% guarantee any of my previous Mini drones would have gone bye bye....but the Air series perform like they are superglued to a scaffolding In very high winds.

That's a daft reason not to upgrade, you either want to upgrade or you don't, looking for silly reasons is in fact silly.

The Mini 3 Pro can handle BFT 5 and i believe so can the Mini 4 Pro, thats about 24mph, thats about my cut off for all my drones, whilst the P4P can handle 30mph, its not fun as its a little nerve racking and sports mode is needed as is my 25mph cutoff for the Mini's.

It should be 20mph max gusts if you want to use RTH.

Whilst the Mini's will wobble some in a hover, thats not going to ruin the outcome of a shot andif videoing then you would be moving so it would be noticeable anyway, so using the wind as an excuse not to upgrade is just that, an excuse. Crazy as that sounds, why didn't you use that excuse when you decided on the MIni 3 Pro, coz after all, its the same wind resistance as the MIni 3 Pro and the Mini 2 is even lower yet you bought one of those, whilst the Mini's wobble a little more than the Air(s), thats what the gimbal is for and to does work very well for in comparsion...

The Mini's are quite capable, its how you use them, obviously the Air(s) will have better wind resistance as they are heavier, even in that wind in your video, when you actually stopped moving for a second, you could save the wind affecting the camera.
2023-10-14
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

Space Dream Posted at 10-6 12:42
An exceptional test video that I liked very much

https://youtu.be/b9s-mKGtK_4?feature=shared

No good,still photo comparison only and not taped together ,so a lousy comparison test.
2023-10-14
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Freetime Posted at 10-14 07:43
No good,still photo comparison only and not taped together ,so a lousy comparison test.

YES, I agree about the image quality comparison
2023-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not for me.
2023-11-24
Use props
Advanced