Mavic 3 Pro Firmware Loop
491 8 2023-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12156 ft
South Africa

Hi all, purchased new Mavic 3 pro, out the box, updated firmware to latest as of August 2023, all flew well. Had no issues with the 5 batteries I bought new for it as well. Did the latest September firmware update, on 22 Sept 2023 using latest dji assistance 2 on the drone and rc. Since then, when I use one battery or try either of the 5, it prompts for inconsistent firmware at evert power up. The update will push the the drone, drone reboots, says successful. Says take off permitted, but if I tap on take off permitted, it says unable to take off with descriptions. When going back to controller main screen, it says firmware out of date again and won't get out of this loop. Behaviors is such, that 1st battery of the day, will update and then fly. But after that flight, even with the same battery, it gets in this loop again. Once it's had it's 1st flight, it gets back into the loop.

Other symptoms include, can't use USB on Mavic 3 anymore, since the firmware update using assistant 2, the USB keeps connecting and disconnecting. No the USB is not damaged. Worked perfect pre update, update was successful. Then the behaviors started.

System is brand new. Account logged in, drone is bound to account, radio is logged into same account. Whether I connect controller to internet or not, same behavior. I am only owner of drone and the batteries have only even been plugged into this drone.

I'm also not new to drones. Owned multiple dji products and never had issues like this.

I'm despirate for an answer. It took me a year to save up for this drone, and have lost out on a job as the drone refused to work. Airspace was also checked and not an issue.
20230928_091712.jpg
20230928_091718.jpg
20230928_091726.jpg
20230928_093226.jpg
2023-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. For this issue, I forwarded to our engineer team to check. We will update you once we get the result. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, after checking with our engineer team, we would like to further confirm a detail with you.

May I know if you have replaced the battery before connecting to the aircraft?

If yes, it may be caused by a mismatch of battery firmware. You could insert the new battery into the fuselage and re-update/refresh the firmware. If the prompt is still repeated after refreshing, please try to restart RC, forget and re-connect the network, then to see if the prompt is still there.

For the USB issue, please also try to use another cable and double-check. Thanks.
2023-9-29
Use props
djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy
lvl.1
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 9-29 01:08
Hi there, after checking with our engineer team, we would like to further confirm a detail with you.

May I know if you have replaced the battery before connecting to the aircraft?

Hi DJI Thor, yes, I have 5 batteries that I am using. Some keep repeatedly asking for inconstant firmware. Today one battery wanted 5 updates in a row and still is not happy. But I found through shear persistence, it eventually takes. I have 3 batteries that work 100% and all functions work.

Please advise what you mean by forget/re-connect network? Are you referring to the internet connection on the DJI RC Controller?

With regards to the USB, It is not cable, when installing the DJI assistant 2, some of the inf drivers are failing to install. Research on the forum shows DJI drivers to be unsigned, every default PC now is setup as secure boot which blocks this. The USB working is whole new issue all together... Multiple people having this problem now. But yes, I have tested multiple cables, same cable that I take of a working device.  Basically windows is assigning the wrong driver as well the DJI is getting confused with some Android device which causes the USB to connect / disconnect the whole time.
2023-9-29
Use props
djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy
lvl.1
South Africa

So it all boils down to, if the drone is on firmware 01.01.0300 - then every time I insert another battery, I get endless prompts for inconsistent firmware updates, drone, RC and internet connection are restarted after each update, some updates run from 40% to 96% then drone reboots, says success-full. I wait for the camera to initialize, then drone reports take-off permitted, but says unable to fly with no reasoning. I then reboot everything again, forget and re-connect the internet, after a few more attempts, drone will report that all firmware is up to date, fly safe is up to date. And now allows take off. I will then remove this battery. Place it aside, restart everything, put in a battery that I had already completed the above process on, and again, it goes back to wanting to update firmware.

I can sometimes be stuck for over 30  mins waiting for the drone to accept the battery... This is ridiculous and I'm frustrated to my ends wits. If I only use one battery then the drone is happy and boots up, i can even remove it. but change the battery and restart the whole firmware process. Even though it was happy with the battery before changing a freshly charged one.
2023-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy Posted at 9-29 05:35
So it all boils down to, if the drone is on firmware 01.01.0300 - then every time I insert another battery, I get endless prompts for inconsistent firmware updates, drone, RC and internet connection are restarted after each update, some updates run from 40% to 96% then drone reboots, says success-full. I wait for the camera to initialize, then drone reports take-off permitted, but says unable to fly with no reasoning. I then reboot everything again, forget and re-connect the internet, after a few more attempts, drone will report that all firmware is up to date, fly safe is up to date. And now allows take off. I will then remove this battery. Place it aside, restart everything, put in a battery that I had already completed the above process on, and again, it goes back to wanting to update firmware.

I can sometimes be stuck for over 30  mins waiting for the drone to accept the battery... This is ridiculous and I'm frustrated to my ends wits. If I only use one battery then the drone is happy and boots up, i can even remove it. but change the battery and restart the whole firmware process. Even though it was happy with the battery before changing a freshly charged one.

Thank you for the detailed information, I understand your frustration.
I want to summarize your issues first.

1. You have 5 batteries, and 3 of them are able to work well, replacing any of them will not have the firmware inconsistency error, but 2 of them have the error, right? Or, is it that all of them have the same error?

2. The firmware update you have been able to do with the batteries is via the DJI Fly app, right?

3. The DJI Assistant 2 can not stay connected with the drone due to the driver error, right?

The suggestions will be:

a. Solve the DJI Assistant 2 connection issue first. If the driver can not be installed because Windows requires a digitally signed driver, you may try to use another computer or disable the digital signature.

b. If the drone can connect to DJI Assistant 2 to do the update, please try to refresh the latest firmware via the DJI Assistant for every battery.

c. Please update the DJI Fly app to the latest version, clear the cache in the DJI Fly app.

d. If the error still pops up after the steps above, kindly help to export the app log and aircraft log data for our further investigation.
App log: /android/data/dji.go.v5/files/LOG
Aircraft log: connect the drone to the DJI Assistant 2 > Export > Select the log that had presented the error message to export.
You may upload the files to Dropbox or Google Drive and send me the link.

Please keep us updated on your case, thank you.
2023-9-29
Use props
djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy
lvl.1
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 9-29 23:34
Thank you for the detailed information, I understand your frustration.
I want to summarize your issues first.

Great response, thank you DJI Susan.

1. By end of yesterday I manged to get 4 batteries to stop asking for updates. Had to switch the DJI RC WiFi on and off to get all updates to process. Some didn't appear while being connected. Was roughly 5 updates in total per battery. I'm starting to update the 5th battery now today via App as I'm failing at getting the drivers to work for the Assistant 2. I'm using latest assistant 2 as of today. Latest Fly app. I have no issues connecting the DJI RC to the PC and updating it via the Assistant 2 app. Only the drone fails to remain connected.  

2. All firmware updates have been done via Fly App yes on the DIJ RC radio.

3. Yes driver error. Best I can get is, drone connected, but when firmware update gets to 86%, the USB disconnects then goes in to an endless loop of on - off - on - off, failing the update. Have to reboot everything and update via DJI RC to recover.

Solutions:

A. I will work on getting the driver issue resolved as I truly don't want to have to go though 5+ updates via the radio to get a single battery updated. This process takes 2 solid days to get just 4 batteries updates via the Radio, so I'm desperate to get the drivers resolved soonest.

B. This is my ultimate goal and I'm sure the long term fix. Please can it be highlighted to Engineers with regards to the process of updating Mavic 3 batteries via the Fly App being so unstable, slow and causing multiple updates instead of just 1, wasting up to 2+ hours trying to get through all the updates. Why would the battery need more than 1 update? I rebooted RC controllers multiple times during updates, forgot the wifi between each update.

C. DJI is on latest version.

D. I will work on getting PC drivers resolved. If after today I still experienced any issues with the 5 batteries that I have updated then I will collect and send logs.

Many thanks,
2023-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy Posted at 9-30 20:57
Great response, thank you DJI Susan.

1. By end of yesterday I manged to get 4 batteries to stop asking for updates. Had to switch the DJI RC WiFi on and off to get all updates to process. Some didn't appear while being connected. Was roughly 5 updates in total per battery. I'm starting to update the 5th battery now today via App as I'm failing at getting the drivers to work for the Assistant 2. I'm using latest assistant 2 as of today. Latest Fly app. I have no issues connecting the DJI RC to the PC and updating it via the Assistant 2 app. Only the drone fails to remain connected.  

Thank you for your reply on this case. Normally, after the firmware of the battery (which is updated along with the aircraft) is updated successfully, there is no need to update the firmware again, it does not need to be updated multiple times.
Your case will be noted and forwarded to our engineers.
Please let me know if all the batteries are updated without having to update again at the end since you mentioned that you still have one of the batteries to update.
Apologize again for the inconvenience you encountered, look forward to your update on this case.
2023-9-30
Use props
djiuser_ppeNCOBrTbSy
lvl.1
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 9-30 22:47
Thank you for your reply on this case. Normally, after the firmware of the battery (which is updated along with the aircraft) is updated successfully, there is no need to update the firmware again, it does not need to be updated multiple times.
Your case will be noted and forwarded to our engineers.
Please let me know if all the batteries are updated without having to update again at the end since you mentioned that you still have one of the batteries to update.

Hi DJI Susan,

Just to update, Battery 5. Same process. It took up to 5 updates via the DJI RC to update the Drone fully and stop asking for updates before it would want to fly. Each time update says its successful. Drone reboots, then it says update firmware again. After about 2 hours +- and about 5 firmware updates, with reboots in between each time, connecting to Wifi, disconnecting, forgetting. Makes no difference.

Weirdly, one battery wouldn't say update, but aircraft would not take off. Said take off permitted, however when you tapped on that, it then shows as unable to take off with no reasons. At this point, I have to restart eveything, forget wifi and NOT connect the wifi agian. Then the RC would do another Firmware update.

We oh so desperately need to have this commented on form the engineering side. I cannot imagine why this is happening and why it can't just run 1 update to update the battery. Why up to 5 and neither of them are failing? Another bad symptom is, that in each of these updates, it would take the camera anywhere from 1minute - 13 minutes to complete calibrating. Now times that by the 5 updates and that's how I lose hours for each battery.

But as we stand now, all 5 batteries "seem" to be on newest firmware. I haven't had a chance to go out and test in full as yet. I live in strict airspace and need to travel a bit. I won't lie, my soul is a bit crushed, I'm too afraid to have issues, considering I had to spend twice the value of the drone to get it legally registered in my country and it's this unstable. Scares the life out of me. It has already me cost loss of work due to this DJI RC --> Aircraft firmware update process being buggy.

2ndly, the DJI assistant 2 on Windows 11 - I have had no luck to resolve this. THe DJI will connect via USB, whether I use USB-C or USB-A, same behaviour, It will connected/disconnect about 3 times, then it will remain connected and is detected by the DJI assistant. However, the moment the drone is rebooted, the USB connected switches to connecting/disconnecting the whole time. If I try a firmware update, it will write the update, but when the drone auto reboots, the connect/diconnect kicks in and the update fails. This causes the battery to show to middle LEDS and have to remove the battery, reinsert it, then perform a firmware update via the DJI RC in order to recover the drone and battery.

I have on my PC tried the following already:

Disabled Secure Boot
Disabled Driver signing
Removed bitlocker
Disabled antivirus
Disabled Firewall & Defender

Device manager shows 2 different states:
1. It shows Unknown Device - No descriptor. Does not accept any drivers from the Assistant Driver Folder
2. When it connects, it shows under Libusb-win32 Devices, with multiple devices.
The drivers assigned here are labelled "DJI Bulk"Deleting the drivers make no difference. Updqting drivers to the drivers in the DJI assistant folder also makes no difference. All produce same behaviour.
I'm running a HP Victus D16. i7 12th Gen. Windows 11 Pro. I'm actually a 22year experienced senior IT profesional and this has my brain broken so I don't understand how any other average user would ever be expected to resolve them themselves..

But the moment the drone is rebooted manually or automatically due to update, the connection goes to connect/disconnect.

I can see on this forum that there are many many many topics around this, and in all of them, No solutions were issued, and those that could come right got lucky. The suggested fixes are all work arounds that don't work for everyone. Most customers seems to just not use the PC at all due to these issues. These suggested fixes, as per my list of things I've had to try, all just removed any and all security on my device which is ridiculous to expect. Why must I place my data, device at risk just to be able to update my drones firmware?

I think based on the amount of posts on this, its a big problem. Tell me please, have one of your engineers taken a Mavic 3 pro yet, with a couple of out-of-date batteries, and then sat and tried to update everything using the DJI RC? I really need to hear what the engineers experience was.

DJI Mavic 3 Pro Device Manager.png
2023-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules