Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mini 4 Pro EU HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS LIFTED
1234Next >
15220 134 2023-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xanthos84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253845 ft
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Changed their mind and lifted the 120m restriction!
Its back to 500m maximum height,
i just tested it with my Mini 4 pro after a short firmware update on the mini 4 pro,
it shows me 500m!

awesome day today!
2023-9-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

This is going to be fun... Where is the popcorn?...
2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will be back in January when the new rule takes effect.
2023-9-28
Use props
xanthos84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253845 ft
  • >>>
Austria

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 04:40
It will be back in April when the new rule takes effect.

on the basis of which statement from dji can you substantiate your statement?

please dont spread any word you cant prove.
2023-9-28
Use props
A1C
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

xanthos84 Posted at 9-28 04:42

Governments doing dumb things again.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 334&pid=3140577
2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

xanthos84 Posted at 9-28 04:42

The 120m rule becomes law in the EU in January so if they want to continue to sell it they will have to reinstate the limit.   For people that already have the drone they can just not update the firmware when that is released.
2023-9-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 04:49
The 120m rule becomes law in the EU in January so if they want to continue to sell it they will have to reinstate the limit.   For people that already have the drone they can just not update the firmware when that is released.

But not for the Mini 4 Pro apparently...
2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-28 04:51
But not for the Mini 4 Pro apparently...

I think DJI just launched the 120m limit too early,    they have confirmed its required from January here - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 334&pid=3140577
2023-9-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How was this change brought about?
Was there an update that you applied etc.?
Was the controller/phone connected to the internet?
I don't see how it could miraculously change without something being connected to the internet and a change of some sort applied, hopefully you accepted that change, did you accept such a change?.

2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-28 04:59
How was this change brought about?
Was there an update that you applied etc.?
Was the controller/phone connected to the internet?

They released a firmware update this morning to remove it.
2023-9-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 04:59
I think DJI just launched the 120m limit too early,    they have confirmed its required from January here - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=298334&pid=3140577

If I read it correctly it says that the Mini 4 Pro "Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased in any scenario"

My understanding of that is that the Mini 4 Pro has already the correct firmware to implement the limitation, where the other drones need an update for that to happen...
2023-9-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 05:03

Cheers DAFlys
2023-9-28
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

It smells like a correction so as not to cut sales before Christmas.  Hangovers are going to be complicated on January 1st.
2023-9-28
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

What update are you talking about ?

Did it happen after you checked for updates with your RC2 ?

Can you please post the number of the new short update ?

2023-9-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 05:03

Perhaps not to remove it, but to temporarily disable it until January...
2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-28 05:03
If I read it correctly it says that the Mini 4 Pro "Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased in any scenario"

My understanding of that is that the Mini 4 Pro has already the correct firmware to implement the limitation, where the other drones need an update for that to happen...

But that rule takes effect in January so they can sell some now without the limit and then bring it back for January.
2023-9-28
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 05:11
But that rule takes effect in January so they can sell some now without the limit and then bring it back for January.

I think the limit is still there, they just temporarily disable it or set on a date timer like the forced login for the radio does....
2023-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-28 05:14
I think the limit is still there, they just temporarily disable it or set on a date timer like the forced login for the radio does....

That could well be the case.    One reason I wont be updating the Mini 3 firmware for a while as they said that will get the same limit in the future.
2023-9-28
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Just tested it myself. While it did not work yesterday, did several tries, today it worked. The slider goes to 500m and if you slide it above 120m a warning message is popping up that you and you alone are responsible for anything you do in your life. I started the drone, did a short lift up to <information redacted> and landed again. It works.

Note: I had no update since the 26th of september. The test yesterday was on my desk and so no GPS fix was achieved by the M4P. Perhaps that was the point why it did not work. The test today I did out in the garden.

Would love this to stay. But the rules say C0 pilots do not have to have any knowledge at all and may be more dangerous in flying than pilots with a A1/A3 or even A2 certificate. And thisfor the fixed limit of 120m above home point. I suppose this feature will vanish on january 1st. Even with the current firmware.
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In accordance with the new European Drone Regulation that will come into effect on 1 January 2024, DJI's Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased to any scenario (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... ri=CELEX:32019R0945 - ANNEX, Part 1). This measure has been introduced by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to allow safe flight operations for drones weighing less than 250 grams. In accordance with the same European Drone Regulation, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-28
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275256 ft
Bulgaria

Sells drop, solution found... Hope a permanent solution is found after Jan 2024
2023-9-28
Use props
greg_p
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243865 ft

France

I also confirmed, I could reach up more than 120m with my mini 4 pro. I can provide RC2 screenshot if needed.
2023-9-29
Use props
djiuser_eZSWPdv9RvpD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233058 ft
Poland

DJI, maybe you could sell M4P in two versions?
1. With standard battery as C0.
2. With large battery as C1.

The rule which makes safer (lighter) drones more restricted completely misses the point. European shops make a lot of money selling your products, trainings for them and services with them, you should be in good position to talk with regulators.

There are so many scenarios when 120m AGL wins over 120m above take off. Skiing, mountain biking, mountain landscapes etc.

Bringing heavier drone in these situations is often simply not feasible.

I just checked Air 3 and it's too big for me to take everywhere I go.

Please consider this.
2023-9-29
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FYI, all current minis will be restricted to 120m later this year, no more fw updates for me that's 100%, although, way points could sway me
2023-9-29
Use props
djiuser_RUdxFX5k0Puo
New

France

djiuser_eZSWPdv9RvpD Posted at 9-29 01:16
DJI, maybe you could sell M4P in two versions?
1. With standard battery as C0.
2. With large battery as C1.

Even if they were thinking about it, no one from DJI will reply here to explain their future strategy...

My money is on the development of an intermediate range between the Mini and Air series in the future...
2023-9-29
Use props
Duncan Gatland
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14518 ft
France

The Rules are set in the EU by EASA.

In particular to this question, the is no mention at all about 120m above take-off level. What the EASA says is....

Article 4 - ‘Open’ category of UAS operations

(e) during flight, the unmanned aircraft is maintained within 120 metres from the closest point of the surface of the earth, except when overflying an obstacle, as specified in Part A of the Annex.

In which case, stay with 120m of the earth (not a building) in any direction and one is compliant. So flying up the side of a in defined cliff, one can continue up until they are NO MORE than 220m above the cliff, so long as they are never further than 120m from the cliff face.
2023-10-2
Use props
Potato mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 9-29 01:54
FYI, all current minis will be restricted to 120m later this year, no more fw updates for me that's 100%, although, way points could sway me

Just in the EU right? Do you know about in the USA? I don’t update my firmware anyway. Just takes up storage
2023-10-2
Use props
Potato mini
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 9-29 01:54

I know that in the USA, you have to get a permit to go above 120 meters, but is DJI going to make that a ground rule?
2023-10-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Potato mini Posted at 10-2 10:37
I know that in the USA, you have to get a permit to go above 120 meters, but is DJI going to make that a ground rule?
''120 metres'' AGL or relative to the takeoff point? There is a distinct difference.
2023-10-2
Use props
Potato mini
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-2 11:05
''120 metres''  AGL or relative to the takeoff point? There is a distinct difference.

Off the ground from the home point
2023-10-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Potato mini Posted at 10-2 11:45
Off the ground from the home point
Not being nasty but the above is the sort of statement that lawyers must love, especially if it is a law, or maybe it's just American vs British English.
''Off the ground'' could be taken as meaning AGL, whereas ''from the home point'' could be taken as meaning ''relative to the take off point'', put the two together in the same sentance and there is room for doubt as to the meaning of the sentence.

Anyway I believe your rule is AGL, i.e. height above the ground directly beneath the drone.
So, without a certificate, you could, with a 'normal' DJI drone, legally reach a height of 1640ft relative to the take off point PROVIDING the drone had flown up a gradual slope that reached 1240ft above the take off point. I.e. the following would not require a certificate.

However, assuming you need a cerificate to breech 400ft AGL, if, without a certificate, you launched from a wide expanse of  level ground at the bottom of a pure vertical or overhanging cliff you would be legally limited to a height of 400ft relative to the take off point. I.e. even if you were allowed to fly in Yosemite you could not legally launch from the bottom of El Capitan and climb to 1640ft relatve to the take off point unless you had the certificate.
2023-10-2
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-28 05:03

It will still need a FW update to enable the 120m hard limit.

Its crazy, anyone flying around hills is screwed...
2023-10-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11195374 ft
  • >>>
United States

The gov can have their rules, and pilots should abide by them.  The manufacturer need not lock it down to being useless though.
2023-10-2
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-2 17:38
It will still need a FW update to enable the 120m hard limit.

Its crazy, anyone flying around hills is screwed...

Not necessarily... It could be a lock set by date and location and it could be already in the firmware waiting for the correct date and GPS location to execute himself...

But you were right about one thing Bashy... This hobby is dying quite quickly...

The fact that all the admin here admitted that they will lock all the mini series, and the fact that they don't release a proper changelog, makes you wonder if perhaps the time bomb has already been applied to the firmware... Fly App version 1.12.0 maybe...

There is no way to tell...
2023-10-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 10-2 20:05
Not necessarily... It could be a lock set by date and location and it could be already in the firmware waiting for the correct date and GPS location to execute himself...

But you were right about one thing Bashy... This hobby is dying quite quickly...

"if perhaps the time bomb has already been applied to the firmware... Fly App version 1.12.0 maybe..."

There is no way to tell...A change in Fly app software is easily remedied in Android phones at least, just uninstall the affected version and instal a previous version. Prior to the reinstall it might be necessary to manually delete the dji.go.v5 folder from the phone as well but again, that is quite easily done.
That assumes the app hasn't triggered something in the drone.
2023-10-2
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-2 22:36
"if perhaps the time bomb has already been applied to the firmware... Fly App version 1.12.0 maybe..."

There is no way to tell...A change in Fly app software is easily remedied in Android phones at least, just uninstall the affected version and instal a previous version. Prior to the reinstall it might be necessary to manually delete the dji.go.v5 folder from the phone as well but again, that is quite easily done.

It is going to be interesting to see how DJI is going to force the update (probably the same way as the forced login) and who is going to scream first...

What it makes me laugh is that some people here honestly believe the new rule will apply only to the EU... I reckon Australia will be right behind and the US close after...

Cookie time again... To be honest, I used to like Europe a lot more when they were all separate little countries, with all different rules and currencies...
2023-10-3
Use props
Duncan Gatland
lvl.1
France

SeehawerB Posted at 9-28 06:23
Just tested it myself. While it did not work yesterday, did several tries, today it worked. The slider goes to 500m and if you slide it above 120m a warning message is popping up that you and you alone are responsible for anything you do in your life. I started the drone, did a short lift up to  and landed again. It works.

Note: I had no update since the 26th of september. The test yesterday was on my desk and so no GPS fix was achieved by the M4P. Perhaps that was the point why it did not work. The test today I did out in the garden.
Na
2023-10-3
Use props
Duncan Gatland
lvl.1
France

SeehawerB Posted at 9-28 06:23
Just tested it myself. While it did not work yesterday, did several tries, today it worked. The slider goes to 500m and if you slide it above 120m a warning message is popping up that you and you alone are responsible for anything you do in your life. I started the drone, did a short lift up to  and landed again. It works.

"No knowledge at all".... that is not correct for EU at least. According to EASA, Two requirements, one to pass A1/A3 examination with 75+%.  The other to register in the first country of flying as an Operator.  Both qualifying documents come with a code that must be attached to the Drone.
2023-10-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-2 22:36

Yeah, its normally the app that will force the drone to update the firmware, so as you say, don't update the app here on in, although, as already stated, it might be too late for some, also DJI may be sneasky and release something decent like waypoints for example (prob not mind) and included the kill code, so to speak.

They should also release the (full) changelog so that their customers know what they are installing
2023-10-3
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-3 03:28
Yeah, its normally the app that will force the drone to update the firmware, so as you say, don't update the app here on in, although, as already stated, it might be too late for some, also DJI may be sneasky and release something decent like waypoints for example (prob not mind) and included the kill code, so to speak.

They should also release the (full) changelog so that their customers know what they are installing

I have been asking since day one, for either the location or a hint for where to find the firmware changelog...

I never got a single reply from any of the DJI admin, and if I may add, for a good reason, now that I got to learn how DJI operate...

I always found this to be a complete lack of respect towards your customers... Some of us like to make informed decision...
2023-10-3
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules