1500 16 2023-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Davieon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200269 ft
Germany

Good evening everyone,
I started trying to record videos with my DJI Air 3; as a first test I recorded a short clip in 4k 25fps 1/50 shutter speed, I don't understand why the video starts stuttering like this when changing direction.
The SD card used is a Samsung Evo plus 128GB SDXC U3 class 10 A2.
I also tried recording a video in 4k 30fps 1/60 shutter speed and this came out perfectly smooth.
Any idea what the problem or error might be?

(translated with Google Translate)

2023-9-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Combination of drone speed and camera settings. 60 fps works so it's not the card or camera. Try different shutter speeds with the 25 fps. Or use Auto.
2023-9-28
Use props
Davieon
lvl.2
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-28 12:12
Combination of drone speed and camera settings. 60 fps works so it's not the card or camera. Try different shutter speeds with the 25 fps. Or use Auto.

But with a different speed the 180 degree rule is missing, the ND filters will arrive soon, I'll see if the situation changes.
In the meantime I will also try with different drone speeds.
2023-9-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Davieon Posted at 9-28 12:38
But with a different speed the 180 degree rule is missing, the ND filters will arrive soon, I'll see if the situation changes.
In the meantime I will also try with different drone speeds.

Don't forget, the 180 rule is not hard and fast. It is a good place to start. Do what works for you.
2023-9-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Exactly as Mobilehomer said, the 180 rule is not something that is concrete but a starting point.
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Just like Mobilehomer said in post #2, please try to use a different shutter speed or use Auto instead and please have a test flight to further isolate the issue. Please keep us posted with the result. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-28
Use props
Davieon
lvl.2
Germany

I did new tests, even using ND filters, the problem continues to persist, recorded at 24/25fps with shutter speed 1/50 the film continues to stutter in some shots and no, changing settings which will affect the 180° rule is not a solution. There is a clear problem with the drone which is clearly not capable of making certain recordings, even though on paper it should be able to do so.
2023-10-4
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Davieon Posted at 10-4 06:46
I did new tests, even using ND filters, the problem continues to persist, recorded at 24/25fps with shutter speed 1/50 the film continues to stutter in some shots and no, changing settings which will affect the 180° rule is not a solution. There is a clear problem with the drone which is clearly not capable of making certain recordings, even though on paper it should be able to do so.

I have also seen micro stutters, like the P frames are missed at some points.
In Premiere and also Resolve can be seen at the raw video that the encoding is getting extremely bad at last frame before next P-Frame, being completely blurred and useless.
This is probably because DJI changed the codec HEVC and lowered the number of P-frame in order to keep a strong compression, but instead was just succeeded to make a very strange image with visible skipping at next Main Frame.
This can be seen easy when you take a 60 fps video and skip frame by frame with a 200% zoom, as the image is degrading a lot between P-frames.

180 degrees rule will minimize the skipping as is blurring the movement, but is still there.

Cheers.
2023-10-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is one of the most frequently asked questions for people that are new to drones.
Why does my footage stutter.
So you are not alone.
And it is not something DJI can fix. Only you can fix it.
It is because of the combination of steady movement and the framerate (the difference between the frames is very repetitive which your brain perceives as stuttering) .  

Now there are a couple of simple rules that can lower the risk of this happening.
In order of 'importance' (to reduce the risk for stuttering / judder etc.).
- Move SLOWLY
- Try to move in more than one directions (no straight pan)
- Use a fast framerate (50fps for PAL area)
- Make sure your monitor has the right refresh rate (this is what made my footage stutter for me) so something that is dividable by your framerate.
- Don't mix 25fps and 30fps footage (or 50 / 60 fps footage) because this will create dropped frames. (unless you slow one of them down / speed it up, to match the other)
- Always edit in the same framerate as your footage (or double / half the framerate if you have to)
You see, you don't need to buy anything to do this and 85% the stutter will go away.

If it is still a problem, you can try to apply the 180 degrees rule and add ND filters to achieve the 'right' shutterspeed.
But this is the lowest in priority to prevent stuttering.

There is a lot of information on youtube about this, although ND filters get suggested quite often, while they are (IMHO) the last stop in solving this problem.
2023-11-24
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

Google the 7 sec rule when using 24/25p. It is a normal with these frame rates. Pan slower. Else switch to a higher fps on your capture and drop into a 25p if necessary. Even the 30p will produce this at higher movement speeds and even 50p. The more fps u have to capture movements, the smoother it will be.
Shutter speeds to do NOT affect this. They only affect motion blurring. ND will not stop this.

2023-12-13
Use props
Davieon
lvl.2
Germany

D35Archangel Posted at 12-13 14:30
Google the 7 sec rule when using 24/25p. It is a normal with these frame rates. Pan slower. Else switch to a higher fps on your capture and drop into a 25p if necessary. Even the 30p will produce this at higher movement speeds and even 50p. The more fps u have to capture movements, the smoother it will be.
Shutter speeds to do NOT affect this. They only affect motion blurring. ND will not stop this.

The video is shot during the day, I don't see that the sun changes frequency based on the country it is in.
Apparently it is not possible to record at certain FPS/shutter speeds while making certain movements; In any case, this thing has never happened to me with other tools with which I have tried to record videos, my Runcam Thumb Pro for example records without shooting at 25/50 or 30/60.
On a drone costing a thousand euros I expected higher performance and quality.
I will keep it exclusively for photographs and will continue with other drones for some footage.
2023-12-14
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Brunei

Davieon Posted at 12-14 01:30
The video is shot during the day, I don't see that the sun changes frequency based on the country it is in.
Apparently it is not possible to record at certain FPS/shutter speeds while making certain movements; In any case, this thing has never happened to me with other tools with which I have tried to record videos, my Runcam Thumb Pro for example records without shooting at 25/50 or 30/60.
On a drone costing a thousand euros I expected higher performance and quality.

Bro. Has nothing to do with the drone. Its the frame rate. I have shot on 30k cameras using 24/25p with the same issue. The 24/25 fps is not enough to capture all the movement without skipping. Test it shooting 50/60/100/120 fps and you will see. If you really need to shoot 24/25p, then slow down the pan. You could also try slow down the shutter speed to help mask this but the image itself may not be as sharp or crisp. I would normally shoot at least 50/60 and drop it into a 25/30p timeline for fpv. The other issue you may need to look into is most screens in ntsc areas are 60 hz. This can also cause a slight judder. We live in a divided world.
2023-12-14
Use props
Davieon
lvl.2
Germany

D35Archangel Posted at 12-14 17:29
Bro. Has nothing to do with the drone. Its the frame rate. I have shot on 30k cameras using 24/25p with the same issue. The 24/25 fps is not enough to capture all the movement without skipping. Test it shooting 50/60/100/120 fps and you will see. If you really need to shoot 24/25p, then slow down the pan. You could also try slow down the shutter speed to help mask this but the image itself may not be as sharp or crisp. I would normally shoot at least 50/60 and drop it into a 25/30p timeline for fpv. The other issue you may need to look into is most screens in ntsc areas are 60 hz. This can also cause a slight judder. We live in a divided world.

You mentioned a "rule" regarding the frequency of lights, sunlight always has the same frequency at every latitude.
As for recording, I made videos at 25/30fps 4k with a 100 euro action cam and they came out without any stutter problems; I wasn't shooting an F1 race or a football match, I recorded a test video at low speed and the camera was unable to shoot smooth video.
Recording at double the speed is not a solution to the problem, if I paid for a feature I expect to be able to use it.
I paid the full price of the product, not half because the characteristics indicated were half false.
2023-12-15
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Brunei

Davieon Posted at 12-15 02:03
You mentioned a "rule" regarding the frequency of lights, sunlight always has the same frequency at every latitude.
As for recording, I made videos at 25/30fps 4k with a 100 euro action cam and they came out without any stutter problems; I wasn't shooting an F1 race or a football match, I recorded a test video at low speed and the camera was unable to shoot smooth video.
Recording at double the speed is not a solution to the problem, if I paid for a feature I expect to be able to use it.

Its got nothing to do with lights and frequencies.
https://www.red.com/red-101/came ... 6%20SHUTTER%20ANGLE,change%20the%20optimal%20panning%20speed.
2023-12-15
Use props
djiuser_VXMVcpvAj136
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue. All settings are correct. I Think it has something to do with the connection between the drone and the controller. It seems like the reception glitches so then the camera glitches, for some reason it skips. My shots are flawless, but it’s only when I shoot when different objects are moving in the shot, it would skip or when in flight.
3-4 19:22
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed
3-4 23:23
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

This is a problem when the camera rotates very quickly at low frames per second.
And as you can see, this always happens only at the moment the camera rotates, and not during straight-line movement.
As recommended, you need to rotate very smoothly and, as an addition, increase the frame rate.
3-5 07:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules