Overheating problem in Europe?
2892 27 2023-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rocrachame
lvl.2

Poland

In part of the Osmo Action 4 test on YouTube, the creators note that the European version of the camera, has a problem with overheating (due to regulatory restrictions in Europe). Links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpLd5hqvrY

https://youtu.be/mFXICybKsHo?feature=shared&t=751

Can users who own versions of the camera bought in Europe confirm these reports, and more importantly, does the DJI team also confirm that the European version of the camera overheats faster than the same product sold in other regions?

2023-9-28
Use props
Weisst Shawn
lvl.1
Germany

I can confirm this. I couldn't even use the EU-version of the OA4 in my usecase (onboard-cam in racecar) without that "crackfile"/fix you can find on youtube
2023-9-29
Use props
rocrachame
lvl.2

Poland

There is one thing that makes me wonder: if in other regions GoPro overheats faster, does it mean that they do not care about European regulations?
2023-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI follow EU laws - gopro doesn't.

OA4 is made for action, not vlogging. So there is no overheating issue when used properly.
2023-9-29
Use props
Weisst Shawn
lvl.1
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 9-29 00:57

OA4 is made for action, not vlogging. So there is no overheating issue when used properly.

So using the cam in the cockpit of a racecar, a sport aircraft or an glider is not action enough for an action cam nowadays?
2023-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Weisst Shawn Posted at 9-29 01:12
So using the cam in the cockpit of a racecar, a sport aircraft or an glider is not action enough for an action cam nowadays?

It need air cooling, DJI says it themself
2023-9-29
Use props
rocrachame
lvl.2

Poland

johansenfoto Posted at 9-29 00:57

Really, no one has reported them for not respecting the laws they should be respecting? I don't think the EU would leave this matter without consequences

My point is that tests such as those in the first post are unfair to DJI if GoPro does not follow the same restrictions
2023-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

rocrachame Posted at 9-29 01:26
Really, no one has reported them for not respecting the laws they should be respecting? I don't think the EU would leave this matter without consequences

My point is that tests such as those in the first post are unfair to DJI if GoPro does not follow the same restrictions

Hehe I'm making this into a conspiracy now for myself. But you know gopro is known for having faulty cameras (7/8/9/10/11) so in Norway where we have 5 year extended warranty on products that is ment to last longer this is breaking the rules since we can't just keep sending back and forth cameras to get replaced with a new faulty one.

2023-9-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

gopro  issues started  when they went waterproof and that is hte Hero 5, and when downhill ever since, we all suppor thten. for their fault
2023-9-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2023-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-29 03:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKM2gjtdy4

Nice find and easy fix.  Thanks for sharing Fish.
2023-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Easier or better to live where it is colder in long run
2023-9-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Maybe part of this overheat is  settings that we can no longer shut off
2023-9-29
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

It would be cool if DJI will make a toggle in the settings where it will allow the cam to disengage the temperature limit but having a warning like they have just recently done with the MINI 4 PRO altitude problem in EU.

Although I'm still baffled why EU users doesn't complain about this in the forum at all?
2023-9-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

All DJI has to do is increase the temp threshold, they won't,  Can not wait for winter sub zero temps to hit and hear my camera won't start it froze
2023-9-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, rocrachame. Thank you for reaching out. The Osmo Action 4 European version does not overheat faster than the same product sold in other regions as they have the same materials. The reason for the temperature threshold issue is because of the EU regulation which we need to follow. Moreover, the temperature threshold cannot be set to a higher temperature, that's why compared to other regions' products, the EU area product will auto-stop the recording because of overheating regulation. Hope this helps. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Norway is not part of EU (European Union) but we still have to follow the rules (EØS agreement). But it's so cold here so there is no problem and we can use it as handwarmer in winter (joke)

But serious I doesn't see the overheating could be an issue as long as the camera is used as what it is, an action camera. Yes I know it still overheat in warm countries while used as helmet cam etc. but then
people just need to drive faster for better air cooling and never cover the front and/or remove the lens cover (part of heatsink).

2023-9-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

then increase their  temp threshold   its in the  camera to do so.
2023-9-30
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-30 00:49
Norway is not part of EU (European Union) but we still have to follow the rules (EØS agreement). But it's so cold here so there is no problem and we can use it as handwarmer in winter (joke)

But serious I doesn't see the overheating could be an issue as long as the camera is used as what it is, an action camera. Yes I know it still overheat in warm countries while used as helmet cam etc. but then

We’re not EU here either! I'm guessing from DJI Gamora's response that they're all set to the same shut down temperature which is in line with the EU? Have I got that right?
2023-9-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-30 03:29
We’re not EU here either! I'm guessing from DJI Gamora's response that they're all set to the same shut down temperature which is in line with the EU? Have I got that right?

Only DJI knows hte actual degree in tep to  shut down when overheat,   I sell mine for twice as much to the RU if you want a camera that I have does not overheat. so yes they are basically the same I say called an opinion  if we feel we want to  overuse the camera its gonna give, to force it to not give is to   modify with fans etc. and  over time  something will break
2023-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-30 03:29

UK used to be part of EU so could be the reason. But will think it is all countries in Europe to make it easier.
2023-9-30
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

Here's another known cam reviewer who has a overheating problem who is living in the UK

2023-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

He didn't have a overheating problem, he said it overheated inside the car after 45+ minutes
2023-10-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So my camera sat 5 hours  yesterday On it overheated the backlight was off . it was burning.  I was transferring videos. can we get that backscreen to say overheat when it dimms down please  
2023-10-1
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

johansenfoto Posted at 10-1 01:54
He didn't have a overheating problem, he said it overheated inside the car after 45+ minutes

Stated at 8:28 of the video mounted the Action 4 on the front of the car lasted 14mins
at 9:00 action 4 lasted 45mins vs Hero 12 at whopping 2hours (shutting down because of the low batt)
2023-10-1
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Eikyu Posted at 10-1 06:57
Stated at 8:28 of the video mounted the Action 4 on the front of the car lasted 14mins
at 9:00 action 4 lasted 45mins vs Hero 12 at whopping 2hours (shutting down because of the low batt)

At 8:28 he mounted it INSIDE the car and it lasted 14 minutes, after that he had it outside in the sun
and it lasted 22 minutes.

2023-10-1
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

johansenfoto Posted at 10-1 10:46
At 8:28 he mounted it INSIDE the car and it lasted 14 minutes, after that he had it outside in the sun
and it lasted 22 minutes.

yeah I forgot to include the word "INSIDE" but again, you said 45+ minutes. go back to the comment you made, I just only pointed out where you seems to said it wrongly. still where is the 45+ minute INSIDE the car part in the vid? he only said it lasted 14 minutes or you meant the 2nd part where he tested it out indoor?
2023-10-1
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Eikyu Posted at 10-1 13:25
yeah I forgot to include the word "INSIDE" but again, you said 45+ minutes. go back to the comment you made, I just only pointed out where you seems to said it wrongly. still where is the 45+ minute INSIDE the car part in the vid? he only said it lasted 14 minutes or you meant the 2nd part where he tested it out indoor?

Hehe first time I watched it with "half ear" so didn't get all details.
Not sure where in the video I got 45 from, but my point was that it won't overheat when used as an action camera.
2023-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules