Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Guide: OVERVIEW OF THE NEW P3 GROUND STATION FUNCTIONS
81762 182 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djepson
New

United Kingdom

Great post thanks. Is follow me likely to work when skiing down a gradient? How does the phantom determine the correct altitude as it decreases, because GPS isn't very accurate for altitude?
2015-9-8
Use props
rgarcia_gzm
lvl.1

United States

Bravo, mate.  Your posts are always a must read and this one is no exception.  I know the Queen is a bit busy but in lieu of her official imprimatur I hereby dub thee Sir Sploodge, Knight Exemplar of the Phantom Order, Protector of the Drealm(*), and Hero of the Altitudeborn(**).

(*) - Drealm:  Portmanteau meaning the Drone Realm.
(**) - Altitudeborn:  Another portmanteau designed to equate you with Daenerys Stormborn of "Game of Thrones" fame because...well...I dunno...it was fun?
2015-9-8
Use props
slipz51
New
Flight distance : 200945 ft
United States

kylecosme Posted at 2015-9-7 14:27
My iPad mini is not the cellular model, so I'm reading that can't be used for follow me function whi ...

GPS doesn't require cellular service and, although it likes having wifi access, doesn't need it. Your mini should work fine. I use an offline map app (Pocket Earth) all the time. Even works in airplane mode at low speeds (takeoffs and landings)

Steve
2015-9-8
Use props
phuzman1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39964 ft
United States

ppkessler@free. Posted at 2015-9-7 10:53
I believe you can help me: with the last software I cannot anymore find the Simulator in the help s ...

Update the dji go app
2015-9-8
Use props
dougcarter54
New

United States

Can you enter a Lat/Lon so the DJI will fly a course or grid and then return home once completed?  
2015-9-8
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

slipz51 Posted at 2015-9-8 09:35
GPS doesn't require cellular service and, although it likes having wifi access, doesn't need it. Y ...

That is incorrect.  On the ipads, the GPS chip is included with the cellular chip.  If it's a wi-fi only model, it does not have a GPS in it.  The only exception are the very early models of ipads.  In order to get around it you will need a bluetooth GPS module linked to the ipad to make "follow me" work..
2015-9-8
Use props
Highlander Brow
lvl.3

Spain

Yes Sir! Very good job!
2015-9-8
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3686975 ft
United States

Amber Posted at 2015-9-7 23:02
My update went very smoothly around the 20min mark.
Took it to one of my favorite flying places wher ...

Did you delete and re-install the newest DJI-Go? I had exactly the same problem and after doing this, all was well!
2015-9-8
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3686975 ft
United States

Billshooter Posted at 2015-9-8 00:12
Sploodge,

I'm having the same problem that Amber posted above.

Even though DJI says you do not have to update the controller, delete and re-install the DJI Go app, had same exact issue and this resilved it!
2015-9-8
Use props
Ezmoney83
lvl.1

United States

Thanks much!
2015-9-8
Use props
dougcarter54
New

United States

Can you enter a Lat/Lon so the DJI will fly a course or grid and then return home once completed?  
2015-9-8
Use props
oiseval488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5901234 ft
United Kingdom

As a Inspire pilot I find your guide indispensable, we have nothing like this information on the Inspire forum, Thank you very much indeed
2015-9-8
Use props
usman.ahmad72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43720 ft
United States

Thanks a lot, nice work sploodge.

I think the text/warning given at Downloads page on DJI site might be added to your post. This answers questions of people who haven't updated last firmware:
The All-in-One firmware v1.4.0010 does not include remote controller update package. However, for the best user experience, it is recommended that the users who are using the firmware that older than v1.3.20 to update the firmware to v1.3.20 before updating the aircraft.
2015-9-8
Use props
alpflier
lvl.1

Turkey

kylecosme Posted at 2015-9-7 21:27
My iPad mini is not the cellular model, so I'm reading that can't be used for follow me function whi ...

you can try and connect your rc  to a lanyard and secure it on your neck
2015-9-8
Use props
dave.encoremult
lvl.1

United States

First, terrific sploodge.  Greatly appreciated!  I had no problem upgrading my app and aircraft but I had no idea how to get into Intelligent Flight Mode until I watched this.  I tried it with the simulator and it all worked great.  Tomorrow I will try the features for real with a flight.  I do have two questions through.  1)  Am I right in saying in Course Lock mode, no matter how you turn the I1 (YAW), it still goes in one direction as long as the right joystick is pushed up.  If you pull the joystick down, the I1 comes back to you, again, no matter how you turn the craft with the left joystick?  2)  I saw this in the new software instructions today:
http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Manual_v1.4_en.pdf  page 28.  Is this how you guys really set up your controllers?  I've never seen this until now...the antennas turned 90-degrees to the controller with the flat sides facing out?  I can't keep my iPhone out of their way and it makes the controller hard to operate because the joysticks are pointed slightly down and away from me.  I've never operated like this.  Usually I just have the antennas pointed straight out away from the controller and the flat sides parallel to each other and I've never had a problem.  Am I flirting with danger?
2015-9-8
Use props
quadro
lvl.1

Poland

Good job! Respect for your time.
Today I flew behind the car mode Follow me.
I would add that when you change the position of the distance P3 from pilot

2015-9-8
Use props
tragedy501
New

United States

Sploodge thank you so so very much, outstanding post!!!!
2015-9-8
Use props
Chrisbiddle99
New

United States

Sploodge- you rock! . Thanks so much.
2015-9-8
Use props
tjgroundcontrol
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know where to acquire information on the Inspire 1 version of this?
2015-9-8
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

This thread is GOLD... Thanks OP!
2015-9-8
Use props
guthmang
lvl.1

United States

Good first overview.... Making up for what DJI should have put out...  What I don't see as obvious or not is in the "Follow Me" mode. Does it actually update the HomePoint making it a dynamic home point?  Without this, aren't you limited in how far you can actually have it follow you as you bump up against a distance limit from the original take-off home point... Or you have to keep updating the homepoint manually via the icon on the APP?  If you don't update this and the unit does a RTH, it will go to where you are lone gone from... Really bad on the water!....
2015-9-8
Use props
dmarlin247
lvl.1

United States

You can set follow me to either return to home or last saved location which keeps updating
2015-9-8
Use props
ryanbattey
lvl.2

United States

thanks for this only tested the futures a little bit cant wait to put to good use.
2015-9-9
Use props
jb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 270728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amber Posted at 2015-9-7 10:02
My update went very smoothly around the 20min mark.
Took it to one of my favorite flying places wher ...

Have you updated the Go App on your mobile device?  
2015-9-9
Use props
dmoerman
lvl.1

United States

So, I take it that none of this is written down anywhere??
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Ulysse Posted at 2015-9-7 10:01
Can't see any advantages to the waypoint option if you have to fly to the waypoints to record them i ...

Fly a farmers field.  Save it.  Repeat over the season.
2015-9-9
Use props
johnmacneill247
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277602 ft
Canada

VERVIEW OF THE NEW "GROUND STATION" FUNCTIONS
2015-9-9
Use props
johnmacneill247
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277602 ft
Canada

Excellent presentation. Best yet.
2015-9-9
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI have now released a set of videos for the features..

2015-9-9
Use props
El Conquistador
lvl.1

United States

Im very grateful for the work that this required of you! Thanks for sharing!
2015-9-9
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Amber said, "When I select F mode the only option I get beside the 'Safe to Fly GPS' is CL, nothing else! no other menu appears on screen .  .  ."   later she added. "After I removed it and downloaded and installed it again all worked fine."  And Billshooter, and others, had the same problem.

I was in the same boat (or quad so-to-speak) so I installed the DJI Go app in my Android phone since it would be totally new and uninstalled and reinstalled the app in my Android tablet as per Amber's instructions.  Now both devices showed the same result and very little change and only CL and HL IOC options at the best.  This told me that the problem was with my upgrade of the P3 firmware.  There was no way to reinstall the firmware, but I soon realized that maybe when I removed the .bin file and the .txt file after the P3 upgrade as advised after other firmware updates (because the remote controller did not need to be updated), there was some other communication process that was not able to work.  I put the .bin file back on the micro SD card and started it back up and it worked.  Unfortunately, the aircraft battery was so low, I have not been able to do anything but hover and look at the five options on the screen.  Well, there is always tomorrow - hopefully it will still work!

Aloha
2015-9-9
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

When I flip the switch to "F", I get the error message that "Intelligent Flight Modes could not start"  can someone please help me... Please anyone
2015-9-9
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thekameleon Posted at 2015-9-10 05:23
When I flip the switch to "F", I get the error message that "Intelligent Flight Modes could not star ...

Is that the exact message you get?

Have you enabled multiple flight modes? Also, you do have the P3 flying in the sky when moving the the "F" mode..

43-Enable-MFL.jpg
42-Enable-MFL.jpg
2015-9-9
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-10 01:01
Is that the exact message you get?

Have you enabled multiple flight modes? Also, you do have the P ...

I get the first screen shot but then the second is completely different. It has red text that states the the intelligent flight mode failed to start. Yes the drone is in the air when this  and it happens both on the inspire 1 and P3P
2015-9-10
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thekameleon Posted at 2015-9-10 13:42
I get the first screen shot but then the second is completely different. It has red text that stat ...

Can you screenshot and post the picture of this error?
2015-9-10
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

Attached are the images

Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-34-42.png
Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-35-40.png
2015-9-10
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is the IOC enabled? If so, try disabling it..
Note, I see its Android yuo use but should be almost the same as IOS

ioc.jpg
2015-9-10
Use props
hundleton1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thekameleon Posted at 2015-9-10 13:42
I get the first screen shot but then the second is completely different. It has red text that state ...

Just to confirm both craft are on V1.4 firmware ?

Are you using the same device on both, if so delete the app and download it again.

Try the following

Reset the craft settings in the App.

Flick the flight mode switch to IOC then toggle the IOC option in the app as shown by Sploodge a few times, it should clear it.
2015-9-10
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-10 10:14
Is the IOC enabled? If so, try disabling it..
Note, I see its Android yuo use but should be almost t ...

It is enabled that is part of the problem, I can't disable it.  It is greyed out and I can't toggle it.  It only turns off when the Multiple flight mode is toggled off, but when I toggle it on, the IOC toggles on as well.  I also can't hit the IOC Reset,  I tap on it and nothing happens.
2015-9-10
Use props
phil.darkspark
New

United States

One thing I ran into, and it happened so fast I might be wrong, but it appears that when you are in course mode, you can not override the waypoints with the controller.  I had a hard crash on Tuesday that put my P3 out of commission so unfortunately I can't test my theory.

That seems like an oversight.  I know that making you fly the route manually helps to ensure that there are no obstacles in the way, but in the real world, things change. There might be a quick override but as we are all aware, things seem to happen very fast while our drones are in the air.  Having the sticks retake control of the drone would be the safest option IMO.
edit: also, thanks Splooge for this post. I didn't find this thread untill today, but it would have saved me a lot of trial and error on monday and tuesday.
2015-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules