81775 182 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would you consider moving to Rhode Island in the USA?
2015-9-26
Use props
bizitel
New

United Kingdom

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fly waypoints and then point of interest in one go.  in other words I need the drone to go along a path and finish up circling a point of interest.
2015-9-26
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bizitel,

Your problem is "Duck Soup"!  (Hey, at least Ducks fly!)  The waypoints option allows 99 waypoints and each waypoint is recorded with a reference orientation.  So if you fly your "Setting Course" so you get to your Point of Interest and then use the waypoints to go around and around the Point of Interest with the P3 camera always pointing to the Point of Interest and then artistically getting closer and farther away as well as going above and below (but not too below!) the Point of Interest, you can create a real work of cinematic art.  Like I said - Duck Soup (a phrase for "easy" here in Hawai'i).

But the second half of the endeavor is setting the parameters for the "Flight Course".  I forget the three names but the last one allows you to man the camera - "Free".  I think the first one keeps the camera facing forward, but the middle option smoothly blends each orientation of the P3 and the camera into a smooth progression between waypoints.  You might test it but I think that the gimbal orientation is not included in the auto-blend option - but you are able to adjust the pitch of the gimbal during the Flight Course, just be gentle or adjust the gain for the gimbal.  This smooth blend is the one that will give you the best of both worlds - Waypoints and Point of Interest.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-28
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Excellent reference and resource -- should make it a "sticky" so it's always visible on the first page.
2015-9-29
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bizitel & gil,

Today I was able to practice the IOC Waypoints option and just watch the screen during the playback missions and look for lag issues with my new HDMI module.  There would be maybe one jump every five to ten seconds instead of a jump every second or two before the upgrade.  Even behind trees, the video was much stronger.  I am going to hold off on any more upgrades until I have a grip on this.  So far, so good, this HDMI module is worth the money!

The Waypoints lesson was interesting though.  It turns out that, like CourseLock, movement of the P3 in the flat plane is all right stick (Mode 2 and ignoring yaw).  If you want to FPV and see where you are going, you have to use the left stick yaw to adjust the camera, but you will remain in a CourseLock-like control situation.  It takes some getting used to.  The altitude changes will be making for some interesting videos.  The jungle and the mountains do make for some challenge, like my spotter going, "Ahhh, are you trying to fly into that ridge there!"  I do have to get that CourseLock technique down a lot better, just to keep from ridge-running when I really do not want to if you catch my drift.  If you think about it though, using a CourseLock-like control mechanism allows the controller to better record and manage the flight path and turns so that the final mission file is way more simplified computer-wise.  I remember reading about a new GroundStation like app that allowed you to enter what types of turns you wanted to do and so you had to write to each turn and that was a lot of writing.  With the CourseLock technique, once you get a handle on it, you just fly the turn you want with the right stick and then control the camera and altitude with the left stick and the camera pitch with the pitch roller.  Two different ways of doing waypoints, but the DJI CourseLock technique is better in a "Seat-of-the-Pants" way as opposed to a typing way.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-30
Use props
muddkattgowfo
lvl.1
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 10:18
You need the controller/ipad connected up. Also the ipad needs to have the GPS function ( cellular ...

This just caught my attention......I am a NOOB and have the Pro3 with hopes of using follow me to track around my sand buggy out riding.  The circle and shoot also could work.  I am using the Galaxy Tab A 8.0 which seems to allow me to fly ok but do I need cellular (which it doesn't have) to do the follow me?  
2015-10-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

muddkattgowfo Posted at 2015-10-6 06:50
This just caught my attention......I am a NOOB and have the Pro3 with hopes of using follow me to  ...

No, you dont need cellular just a device with GPS built in.. On the iPads the requirement to have cellular version is because its only them versions that have GPS in them ( the normal WiFi one don't have GPS )..

The galaxy Tab A 8 does have GPS in it ( according to the spec anyway http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T350NZAAXAR ) so you should be OK for follow me..
2015-10-5
Use props
chour.mohamad
New

Ivory Coast

Hi can we have all this in french ? I can't understand in english :s
2015-10-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chour.mohamad@h Posted at 2015-10-7 12:19
Hi can we have all this in french ? I can't understand in english :s

Non

I can't write/speak French
2015-10-7
Use props
Thunder
lvl.1

United States

Great post and very informative in every category.  My problem is my Galaxie pad   Tab A will not support the followme  function but does all others what is the Problem ?
2015-12-21
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for your time and input big guy!
2016-1-8
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 07:20
True.. POI and Course/Home lock is my favourites.. Probably wont use Waypoint much..

I can see the waypoints being useful for repeatedly flying (recording) the same path over time.  Or even repeated takes for action.

One example might be to fly the same path during spring, summer, winter and fall to create a video of the changing seasons that could easily be blended together in a video app with transitions.

Another example would be recording action while actors perform some maneuver.  Say they screw up one part but get others ok.  Fly by waypoints and you can give them multiple takes at accomplishing a complete video without necessarily requiring the actors to perform all movements perfectly in every take.

Just a couple thoughts on the waypoint usefulness.

No first had use yet, DJI doesn't seem to much in a hurry to ship my order
2016-1-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Great job as always. We appreciate your time and effort.
2016-1-13
Use props
DRONEFREAK55
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Great info, "Thanks A Bunch" sploodge
2016-1-16
Use props
Gory Lori
New
Turks and Caicos Islands

Very thorough!!  THANKS for the time and pics you uploaded to help others, like me!
2016-1-17
Use props
arnold114
lvl.1
Flight distance : 216801 ft
United Kingdom

Amber Posted at 2015-9-7 15:02
My update went very smoothly around the 20min mark.
Took it to one of my favorite flying places wher ...

I found that with my standard 3, and using Samsung galaxy s4, in advanced settings "enable flight modes" had to be off before take off
2016-2-29
Use props
innovativethink
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Since the app has been updated, the setup and icons are different.  Maybe update or note this tutorial as being for a prior version?
2016-4-3
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question on way points. When the aircraft reaches a way point...does it stop at all or do I have to hit PAUSE to take a photo?
2016-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It will stop. Where is the Pause button? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-6-14
Use props
bagemgas
New

Russia

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 21:17
Can try, can'r really recommend it though

Подскажи Друг , может встречался с такой проблемой . У меня Фантом 3 неисправность: взлетаю на 1,5 метра проходит 20-40 секунд его начинает трясти и отключается один и тот же мотор . Мотор я поменял но неисправность осталась
2016-6-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Is there a way to save missions as a name to make them easier to find when we want to use them again?
2016-7-10
Use props
ccpirate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-9-7 05:01
Can't see any advantages to the waypoint option if you have to fly to the waypoints to record them i ...

You can fly a course that you would like to shoot. Record the waypoints. Then return to start and fly it with the freedom to concentrate on the camera and controls for it... while your bird travels the prescribed path.
2016-8-18
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Like others, I appreciate the effort that went into this post.

That you have to fly the waypoints first is pretty stupid and frankly I can't see me EVER using half of this stuff as I'm always in a mild panic over the rapidly draining battery.

Squinting in the sun at a phone screen whilst trying to figure out a route, double-checking the altitude of each point, trying to set the camera orientation, all while it's buzzing above your head and the battery is draining, draining, draining, battery warning... draining???

Madness.

Supply a 20 inch screen, with hood, soundproofing, a comfortable chair and a 2 hour flight time and this would be awesome... As it stands, it's near enough useless to casual users like me, especially those with a single battery.

Meh.
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules