Best practice
876 12 2023-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony_Linguini
lvl.3

United States

I have read many threads about putting cellphone on airplane mode when flying but isn't some sort of data needed? Does the phone or controller control the aircraft? Sorry for a newbie question.
2023-9-30
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Only bluetooth ON is required
The RC(controller) controls the Aircraft
2023-9-30
Use props
Tony_Linguini
lvl.3

United States

H3llo Posted at 9-30 06:39
Only bluetooth ON is required
The RC(controller) controls the Aircraft

On page 97 of the manual it says this:
"Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Fly"
2023-9-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Tony. It is not required when flying but you need mobile data or wifi for updating your firmware and logging in to your DJI account. Once all needed updates are complete and you are logged into your DJI account on your DJI Fly application, you can fly the drone without using your cellular or Wi-Fi services. Please reach back if you have further concerns. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-30
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Tony_Linguini Posted at 9-30 21:13

Please read DJI Tony’s comment dude
2023-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

but isn't some sort of data needed?
No data needed.
Lots of flyers use wifi-only tablets and fly without any data
2023-10-1
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

To be on the safe side and to get over djis over zealous need to control when and where you fly , either check you are signed in before you leave home or know where you’re flying you can get Wi-Fi handy, otherwise you may well be blocked or limited to fly no more than 50m.
2023-10-2
Use props
fans9b6da7a2
lvl.4

Taiwan

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-2 01:48
To be on the safe side and to get over djis over zealous need to control when and where you fly , either check you are signed in before you leave home or know where you’re flying you can get Wi-Fi handy, otherwise you may well be blocked or limited to fly no more than 50m.

Never heard of the 50m limit but that might just be a regional thing.
I fly with the RC 2 and basically never connect it to my phone's hotspot when flying. I've gotten the full range and things. I did this in mainland China and the US.
2023-10-2
Use props
flying-coyotus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105249 ft
France

I used mine without connecting my RC-2 to the phone, no problems.

I absolutely don't know why they wrote this.
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9b6da7a2 Posted at 10-2 04:20
I fly with the RC 2 and basically never connect it to my phone's hotspot when flying. I've gotten the full range and things. I did this in mainland China and the US.

He's just talking about being signed into your DJI account in the fly app. Nothing to do with being connected by mobile data or hotspot or anything internet related. When I had my MA2 I used to fly in airplane mode all the time because if I didn't, I'd get inundated with text messages and such and found it distracting. But yes, if you aren't signed into your DJI account or flying with a controller like the RC2 with a screen with fly app built in, your flight distance is limited.
2023-10-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans9b6da7a2 Posted at 10-2 04:20

If you are not signed in then you can fly but you’re restricted in your flight. It’s not a regional thing and has been the same for every dji drone since 2017. You do not need to be connected to the internet or hotspots to fly I never said that. But you do need to be signed into your account and if you get a message on sight to sign in or you will be restricted in flight then you’d better be in an area of internet coverage to sign in.
Lately dji have decided to automatically sign people out of their accounts saying that updating your craft firmware you need to re-sign in, basically BS. So many people being caught by this.
Once again it has nothing to do with needing internet or hotspot to fly, its about not being signed in and flight being restricted if you have no access to internet to sign in.
2023-10-4
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

But there's (at least one) advantage of internet connection - online map display, that can help with orientation. I miss high quality maps in RC2...
2023-10-4
Use props
Air 3 Flyer
lvl.1

United States

I use a mini iPad, not my iPhone because, just in case for emergencies.
2023-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules