No MOV recording for Mini 4 Pro
2939 19 2023-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_jSyw2rMTJjv0
lvl.1
United States

I just confirmed with a DJI rep that the Mini 4 Pro can only record in MP4 (unlike the Mini 3 Pro which could also output to MOV). I wanted to make a post because it seriously slows down my video editing workflow when working with MP4s on my Macbook Pro (a mid-2014 15-inch w/ an improved SSD). I usually have to re-encode the MP4s in Handbrake before I can get them to successfully import into Premiere. And then obviously I have to render proxies, which I'd do anyway with MOV files, but they render much faster when the source files are MOV. Does DJI's decision to only allow for MP4 recording similarly complicate things for anyone else? Does anyone have an effective workflow for handling MP4 footage on a similar system? Thanks.
2023-10-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 4 Pro only supports MP4 format. We will coordinate this feedback of yours to our relevant team as a suggestion for future considerations. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you recording H265 and MP4?    You shouldn't need to re-encode the MP4s otherwise to use them.  MP4 & H265 is very badly supported.
2023-10-5
Use props
paul.thb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31959 ft

France

DAFlys Posted at 10-5 00:21
Are you recording H265 and MP4?    You shouldn't need to re-encode the MP4s otherwise to use them.  MP4 & H265 is very badly supported.

Hi,

Do you mean that for now with MP4 being the only format available it is better to shoot with H264 rather than H265 ?

From what I've read about these codecs, H265 does reduce file size but it more processor demanding when editing footage. I use an 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and I'd like to have your insights on the best settings to edit 4k 30fps footage in post on the Mini 4 Pro.

Thanks in advance.
2023-10-8
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in the Mini 4 Pro hype right away, because more and more details are coming to light that make me wonder if DJI didn't develop a successor to the Mini 3 Pro too quickly. I do not know how the initial launch of the Mini 3 Pro has gone but about the Mini 4 pro I have now already read some dissatisfied comments.
2023-10-8
Use props
paul.thb
lvl.1

France

Space Dream Posted at 10-8 11:04
I'm glad I didn't get caught up in the Mini 4 Pro hype right away, because more and more details are coming to light that make me wonder if DJI didn't develop a successor to the Mini 3 Pro too quickly. I do not know how the initial launch of the Mini 3 Pro has gone but about the Mini 4 pro I have now already read some dissatisfied comments.

What exact details have come to light ? I would be interested to know.

About unsupported MOV, I'm pretty sure this kind of option can easily be reworked in a future firmware update. I think this drone is still a better option compare to the Mini 3 Pro with just the DLog and Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance (if you don't own any of these drones I mean).
2023-10-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Space Dream Posted at 10-8 11:04

but about the Mini 4 pro I have now already read some dissatisfied comments.
There are always comments from dissatisfied customers, but not all of them are valid.
A forum tends to attract negative comments but most of the folks with no problems don't post about it.
2023-10-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

paul.thb Posted at 10-8 08:15
Hi,

Do you mean that for now with MP4 being the only format available it is better to shoot with H264 rather than H265 ?

Your M1 Mac can hardware decode H265 so that would be the better option,  but not in a MP4 container as that has terrible support.  
2023-10-9
Use props
paul.thb
lvl.1

France

DAFlys Posted at 10-9 00:33
Your M1 Mac can hardware decode H265 so that would be the better option,  but not in a MP4 container as that has terrible support.

Thanks for responding but your answer it still confusing to me... My M1 Mac is fine at decoding H265 but since the DJI Mini 4 only supports MP4, I yet don't have any other option than MP4 videos so should I still record with H265 or H264 ?
2023-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

paul.thb Posted at 10-9 05:29
Thanks for responding but your answer it still confusing to me... My M1 Mac is fine at decoding H265 but since the DJI Mini 4 only supports MP4, I yet don't have any other option than MP4 videos so should I still record with H265 or H264 ?

Record in whatever works well for you and your equipment, not what someone else tells you.

btw, there's no real difference between .mov and .mp4 video files.
The actual video file is the same, but they just come in a different "wrapper".

2023-10-9
Use props
paul.thb
lvl.1

France

Labroides Posted at 10-9 13:57
Record in whatever works well for you and your equipment, not what someone else tells you.

btw, there's no real difference between .mov and .mp4 video files.

My question had more to do with using H264 or H265 since @DAFlys seemed to say that H265 "is badly supported with MP4" which I don't really understand what he means by that.

I know that .MOV and .MP4 are the pretty much the same quality (even though I've read that .MOV are less compressed which results in slightly better quality but bigger size). I also know my equipment : I use a Mac and .MOV files are better optimized for editing on MacBooks that's all. The question I'm asking is if I had to use .MP4 format, should I use the H264 or H265 option when I scroll through my recording settings on my Mini 4 Pro.

I don't know if this makes a big difference at all but I'd just like a clear answer Thanks.
2023-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

paul.thb Posted at 10-9 15:21
My question had more to do with using H264 or H265 since @DAFlys seemed to say that H265 "is badly supported with MP4" which I don't really understand what he means by that.

I know that .MOV and .MP4 are the pretty much the same quality (even though I've read that .MOV are less compressed which results in slightly better quality but bigger size). I also know my equipment : I use a Mac and .MOV files are better optimized for editing on MacBooks that's all. The question I'm asking is if I had to use .MP4 format, should I use the H264 or H265 option when I scroll through my recording settings on my Mini 4 Pro.

My question had more to do with using H264 or H265 since @DAFlys seemed to say that H265 "is badly supported with MP4" which I don't really understand what he means by that.I don't know if this makes a big difference at all but I'd just like a clear answer

Half the stuff that gets posted here is confused misinformation.
Asking for answers won't always get you factual information.
The best thing to do would be to do some simple testing.

2023-10-9
Use props
Merczedes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1529 ft
Poland

is it still not recording with mov. A friend of mine told me, that before the update for controller 02.00.0500 he was able to record in mov. After the update the mov. format is not threre.
2-9 04:25
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Working with  MP4 instead of MOV cannot be considered an issue at all, with both h264 and h255 codecs. All the post-processing software can decode both format in the same way. MP4 is the market standard and MOV is originally belonging to the Apple ecosystem, but Apple devices can work with MP4 in the same way as the MOV, without any limitation or issues.
I'm working on Mac, processing h265 HLG MOV files from the Air2S and h265 HLG MP4 file from the Mini 4 Pro exactly in the same way. Frankly speaking, I cannot understand all that complaints about the MOV format missing.

If somebody wants a MOV file instead of a MP4, he just need to install ffmpeg (a free, multi platform video encoding tool) and run the command:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.mov  In that way it is possible to change the video container without re-encoding, keeping the original video quality. On a M1 Mac it takes 0,5 seconds for a 586 MB HLG file.If you need to convert a batch of many files, a simple shell script can do the job.

2-9 05:52
Use props
Merczedes
lvl.1
Poland

FabioV Posted at 2-9 05:52
Working with  MP4 instead of MOV cannot be considered an issue at all, with both h264 and h255 codecs. All the post-processing software can decode both format in the same way. MP4 is the market standard and MOV is originally belonging to the Apple ecosystem, but Apple devices can work with MP4 in the same way as the MOV, without any limitation or issues.
I'm working on Mac, processing h265 HLG MOV files from the Air2S and h265 HLG MP4 file from the Mini 4 Pro exactly in the same way. Frankly speaking, I cannot understand all that complaints about the MOV format missing.

thank you for the reply . i don't really think about this is as a problem.  I was wondering for technical matter as a friend of mine noticed that it was available  and after the latest update it was gone, again I guess
2-9 06:05
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Merczedes Posted at 2-9 06:05
thank you for the reply . i don't really think about this is as a problem.  I was wondering for technical matter as a friend of mine noticed that it was available  and after the latest update it was gone, again I guess

I purchased the Mini 4 at the beginning of December and I've never seen a MOV option. I did at least one firmware update.
2-9 09:12
Use props
Merczedes
lvl.1
Poland

FabioV Posted at 2-9 09:12
I purchased the Mini 4 at the beginning of December and I've never seen a MOV option. I did at least one firmware update.

so it's kind of interesting  he had it. especially that this post is from October and the mov. was already not available . i have M4P since January and updated it right after taking it out of the box so no knowledge about it having mov. format. And previously I had mini2 and it was  recording also in mp4 so no real difference for me here.
2-9 10:25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Merczedes Posted at 2-9 04:25
is it still not recording with mov. A friend of mine told me, that before the update for controller 02.00.0500 he was able to record in mov. After the update the mov. format is not threre.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm what specific drone your friend using? Please note that the DJI Mini 4 Pro only supports MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265) video format. You may use a 3rd party software to convert the video to your desired video format. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.
2-10 01:45
Use props
Merczedes
lvl.1
Poland

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-10 01:45
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm what specific drone your friend using? Please note that the DJI Mini 4 Pro only supports MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265) video format. You may use a 3rd party software to convert the video to your desired video format. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.

hi, thank you for stepping in   my friend told me that when he updated the  RC 2 to  02.00.0500, the mov format disappeared and only mp4 left. he told me mov was there when he bought the Mini 4 Pro . I was just wondering and since this topic is open I would ask
2-10 02:07
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Merczedes Posted at 2-10 02:07
hi, thank you for stepping in   my friend told me that when he updated the  RC 2 to  02.00.0500, the mov format disappeared and only mp4 left. he told me mov was there when he bought the Mini 4 Pro . I was just wondering and since this topic is open I would ask

You are most welcome. To confirm, MOV is not supported also it is not included on the release notes of the DJI Mini 4 Pro. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.
2-12 01:50
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules