DJI says 30FPS and below has better dynamic range. Is that true?
2067 10 2023-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joe Dawson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790384 ft
Canada

I’ve attempted to capture challenging subjects with a high dynamic range, such as white boats against a dark ocean. I’ve noticed issues in both 30FPS HD and 60FPS (non-HD). I’ve been using flat LOG with on both the Mini 3 Pro and Air 3 Pro and then using LUTs.
I’m curious if anyone has experienced a situation where the lower FPS performed better than the 60FPS? (Other than in very low light where the lower framerate allows in more light.)
The 60 FPS is always preferable if you plan to slow down the footage later, and it generally appears smoother in many scenarios compared to the 30FPS. For this reason, I’ve primarily used 30FPS, but I’m interested to know if there are any specific benefits to the lower FPS that anyone can highlight?
I’ve watched a few YouTube videos comparing the Dynamic Range in 30 vs 60 FPS on DJI, and they also didn’t notice any advantages.
So, before I completely abandon 30FPS, I’d like to know if anyone has found any benefits.

All the best,

Joe
2023-10-5
Use props
madao05
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1445400 ft
Italy

I have't noticed any difference too between 30 and 60 fps.
DJI says also that at 30 fps the Mini 3 Pro record video in HDR, but is not true. That drone does not record HDR video at all.

The only benefit of 30fps is in low light environment. There you get video with less noice.
2023-10-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Joe, thank you for bringing out this inquiry. We forwarded to our engineer team and help you to double check. We will reply you soon once we get any results. Thanks.
2023-10-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi  Joe Dawson, here's an update for your inquiry. Hope it could help, thanks.

Mini 3 Pro will turn on the DCG HDR effect by default in the recording mode with a frame rate below 30, and the dynamic range will be wider.
2023-10-6
Use props
Joe Dawson
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 10-6 03:43
Hi  Joe Dawson, here's an update for your inquiry. Hope it could help, thanks.

Mini 3 Pro will turn on the DCG HDR effect by default in the recording mode with a frame rate below 30, and the dynamic range will be wider.

I think the point is when I do it... I don't see a wider dynamic range in my videos.
So can they show some example videos or something to show how you can see it working.
2023-10-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Joe Dawson Posted at 10-6 04:23
I think the point is when I do it... I don't see a wider dynamic range in my videos.
So can they show some example videos or something to show how you can see it working.

Hi Joe, it will not be reflected in the video details parameters.

The sensor of DJI Mini 3 Pro adopts chip-level HDR technology, which can output videos with high dynamic range. If needed, you can take two videos under same scenario at 30fps and above for comparison. Please try to test and update us if you need further assistance, thanks.
2023-10-7
Use props
Joe Dawson
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 10-7 23:09

The sensor of DJI Mini 3 Pro adopts chip-level HDR technology, which can output videos with high dynamic range. If needed, you can take two videos under same scenario at 30fps and above for comparison. Please try to test and update us if you need further assistance, thanks.

I have been for months and I have not seen any more dynamic range.
Many video also about this have been posted to youtube and also have not seen an improvement in dynamic range.
2023-10-8
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Thor Posted at 10-7 23:09

Hi Thor,
This is marketing BS, because that so called HDR that wanted in fact to be a double exposure, is not gaining any extra dynamic range....the 0% to 5% shadows will always be crushed and the 95% to 100% highlights will always be burned. This is because DJI killed from a long time the FULL RANGE RGB, leaving it to Limited... This is why when you put a record in night from an Autel drone next to DJI, you realize that your DJI drone is a joke, as your DR is simply not there, even in DLOG-M.

Cheers.
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-9 01:53
Hi Thor,
This is marketing BS, because that so called HDR that wanted in fact to be a double exposure, is not gaining any extra dynamic range....the 0% to 5% shadows will always be crushed and the 95% to 100% highlights will always be burned. This is because DJI killed from a long time the FULL RANGE RGB, leaving it to Limited... This is why when you put a record in night from an Autel drone next to DJI, you realize that your DJI drone is a joke, as your DR is simply not there, even in DLOG-M.

Thank you for your feedback. We will feedback to our relevant team to enhance our product and service better and better.
2023-10-10
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would confirm with DJI but I think anything above 30fps engages line skipping/binning capture from the sensor so the video can be recorded to the card without failure or frame drop. That’s how it is on most video cameras but it usually is more common with larger sensors. For example, my Canon R5 wow bin or line skip at 50fps or higher). At any rate the end result is slightly less quality in the details.
As for HDR, the log video can be graded in a wide gamut hdr project in video editors like DaVinci Resolve or Final Cut Pro.
2023-10-19
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1070256 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you want to shoot professional videos, you will want to try and stick to the 180° shutter angle (meaning shutter speed is twice your fps) to achive nicer looking motion blur. The bitrate per individual frame is also a bit higher in 30fps, giving you (in theory) better image quality then in 60fps. And, as you've already mentioned, in low light, 30fps will give you better results, as you can lower your shutter speed a lot more, then with 60fps.

But in reality, for vacation shots or most private stuff, i'd say you can just shoot 60fps. The differences are minimal and most people don't care about motion blur on their instagram.
Also: the Air3 uses the "HDR" mode per default in both 30 and 60 fps modes. The Term HDR in this context is a bit misleading. It's basically just a sensor feature, that takes two exposures and combines them into one, giving you a little extra dynamic range. If you want to see, what it looks like without the sensor based hdr, you can shoot a slow motion 100fps video and compare that to one shot at 30 or 60 fps. The differences in reality are realy minor thou and will only affect some of the shadows.

Sidenote: The Limited RGB stuff that was mentioned I don't understand. RGB is a color space, if you shoot in dlog-m or HLG, that gives you the respective color spaces attached to those profiles. Limited RGB is a monitor color space that limits the effective color range of that monitor. It has nothing to do, with how the drone captures images.

2023-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules