Urgent issue: Go Fly app in Play needs to be updated for Mini 4 P...
1616 25 2023-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seattle-Bill
lvl.2

United States

Hi All,  
I hope someone from DJI can see this and respond...  

The DJI Fly App with it's download link provided on the Quick Start Guide sheet in the product packing box can not be installed on my phone.  I used an Android mobile phone issued by my company for me to use, and the company IT department prevents any APK to be downloaded from website to be installed on the phone for corporare security reason. So the QR code on the Quick Start Guide sheet which provided the app download and resulted doanloading the app APK file, can not be luanched to intall on my phone.  I'd think many people will run into this problem too, as many people use phone provided by their companies who have similar IT policies to disallow running 3rd party APKs.

So I went to Google Play to install the Go Fly app from there, which the compay phone does not prevent installing from there (since Play store has security checks and prevent malware), and the app installed succesfullly.  However, after launching the app, I noticed that it only support Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro, not Mini 4 Pro.

The questions is: how soon DJI will update the app on Google Play so that we can install from there, so we can use it with the Mini 4 Pro?  

I assume this issue may also apply to Apple's App store, as the SW on those platfroms have not been updated.  This issue blocks many users like us, and needs to be addressed ASAP!

Thanks!

2023-10-6
Use props
Mynah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3034081 ft
South Africa

The Fly app in Google play does not belong to DJI, it is a rip-off using the Fly app name.  Avoid it.
2023-10-6
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

This really sounds a bit problematic. hope DJI will solve this as soon as possible
2023-10-6
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

1) DJI doesn't have any App available on Google Play...

2) Is not your company that doesn't allow you to use third party App, is the Google restriction on your phone that you can easily disable in the settings...
2023-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The questions is: how soon DJI will update the app on Google Play so that we can install from there, so we can use it with the Mini 4 Pro?  
Because of US government's ridiculous interference with DJI, there are no DJI apps on Google Play.
The only genuine source for the DJI Go app is the apk file downloaded from DJI's website.
2023-10-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hello, there. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it may have caused you. Because the compatibility strategy between the DJI App and Google Play Store is changing, you currently cannot finish downloading and updating using Google Play.

Furthermore,  to ensure your usage, we have launched a DJI official download channel. You can visit the DJI official website to download and install the latest app and obtain complete updates on the app. Also, kindly avoid downloading third-party apps from the Google Play store that may require payment as our official app is free to download and use.

DJI official download link: https://www.dji.com/downloads

As for iOS devices, our applications are available and can be downloaded directly from the Apple store. I hope this information helps. We hope for your understanding. Should you have further concerns, please feel free to let us know.
2023-10-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

If the IT department prevents it, then get your own phone!!!
2023-10-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-6 14:21
The questions is: how soon DJI will update the app on Google Play so that we can install from there, so we can use it with the Mini 4 Pro?  
Because of US government's ridiculous interference with DJI, there are no DJI apps on Google Play.
The only genuine source for the DJI Go app is the apk file downloaded from DJI's website.

Wrong. Google has used App Bundles instead of APKs for several years now, The gubmint has zero to do with it.
2023-10-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Burt37 Posted at 10-6 13:48
1) DJI doesn't have any App available on Google Play...

2) Is not your company that doesn't allow you to use third party App, is the Google restriction on your phone that you can easily disable in the settings...

He plainly stated his IT department has locked out installations of third party apps. He needs to get his own phone and not use the COMPANY phone!
2023-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-6 15:11
Wrong. Google has used App Bundles instead of APKs for several years now, The gubmint has zero to do with it.

It's all a part of this:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12 ... transaction-blocked
Just like Google was not allowed to supply the Huawei with the Android operating system, Google was not allowed assist DJI by hosting their apps in the Play Store.

He plainly stated his IT department has locked out installations of third party apps.
He did and perhaps he was correct.
Or perhaps he assumed it was the company when he saw the standard Google warning about installing from apk files.

2023-10-6
Use props
Seattle-Bill
lvl.2

United States

Thanks everyone for the comments!   I didn't realize that the DJI app was banned on Google Play (and likely App Store as well) until I saw Labroides' comments, which is something I knew before from reading the news.  

I agree with Labroides that it's a ridiculous policy. It doesn't really do anything to DJI's business since they developed everything for their drones, but only cause troubles and inconveniences to us the consumers in the US.  Talking about shooting one's own foot.  

To Burt37's comment, I don't think I can disable the prevention of running APKs on my phone, as that's being set by the IT department, but I will give it a try.

To Mobilehomer's comment, yes, I agree, to ultimately overcome this problem, I should just get my own phone.  Fortunately for me for the sake of saving the money buying anther phone just to use Go Fly app, I bought the RC2 along with the Mini 4 Pro, so I can just use that without the need to use Go Fly on the phone. I was thinking using the phone to easily donwload the photos/videos to the phone after each flying, but I can certainly live without that feature and simply take our the SD card to download them to the PC.

Thanks again everyone!

2023-10-6
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Seattle-Bill Posted at 10-6 22:24
Thanks everyone for the comments!   I didn't realize that the DJI app was banned on Google Play (and likely App Store as well) until I saw Labroides' comments, which is something I knew before from reading the news.  

I agree with Labroides that it's a ridiculous policy. It doesn't really do anything to DJI's business since they developed everything for their drones, but only cause troubles and inconveniences to us the consumers in the US.  Talking about shooting one's own foot.  

To your last point:

With the Mini 4 Pro you don't even need to remove the SD card, just plug the M4P into the PC via a USB cable without turning on the drone!  
You will immediately be able to see the internal memory and the contents of the SD card and do everything as if you had actually removed the SD card...   
2023-10-6
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-6 15:11
I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI. Those restrictions do not include forcing Google to remove the app from the app stores if that was the case then why would they not ban retail stores and Amazon etc from seeking the hardware as well. It's nonsense put about by those who don't understand what they have read about the restrictions.

Re APK versus app bundles, yes Google introduced app bundles and encourage their use over APK packaging of apps, v but it is not mandatory. Similarly they also encourage Google Play signing of apps (rather than the Dev signing the app locally at compile time) but again this is not compulsory.

The problem here lies with DJI not complying with the Play sure policies somewhere else. Possibly an included SDK or 3rd party library falls foul of Google's policies, or it could even be something as simple as DJI not being prepared to provide a detailed privacy policy when submitting app updates. Unless DJI tell us...
2023-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 10-7 02:25
I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI. Those restrictions do not include forcing Google to remove the app from the app stores if that was the case then why would they not ban retail stores and Amazon etc from seeking the hardware as well. It's nonsense put about by those who don't understand what they have read about the restrictions.

Re APK versus app bundles, yes Google introduced app bundles and encourage their use over APK packaging of apps, v but it is not mandatory. Similarly they also encourage Google Play signing of apps (rather than the Dev signing the app locally at compile time) but again this is not compulsory.

I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI.
I guess it's just a coincidence that DJI apps were available through Google, until the commerce Dept put DJI on their Entity List.
That's why DJI have to use apk files now.

2023-10-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-7 04:26
I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI.
I guess it's just a coincidence that DJI apps were available through Google, until the commerce Dept put DJI on their Entity List.

Yes it is just coincidence that and Google changed at the same time.
2023-10-7
Use props
Seattle-Bill
lvl.2

United States

frankymusik Posted at 10-6 22:38
To your last point:

With the Mini 4 Pro you don't even need to remove the SD card, just plug the M4P into the PC via a USB cable without turning on the drone!  

Great point, and thank you for the reminder!
2023-10-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am curious, with " but only cause troubles and inconveniences to us the consumers in the US." are you implying that the remainder of the world can somehow access the DJI drone apps in the play store ?
2023-10-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI.
I guess it's just a coincidence that DJI apps were available through Google, until the commerce Dept put DJI on their Entity List.
DJI have always used apk files.

The restrictions imposed by the US government are on investing and share dealing (or similar), they are not consumer level restrictions.

How would that kind of restriction stop Google from allowing DJI's apps in their marketplace.

At the time the DJI apps stopped being updated on Google Play Google were implementing a lot of policy changes and additional requirements for developers - it was a but of a nightmare to even get simple apps to.comply in some cases, so for something as complex as DJI Fly it obviously proves too much effort.

Note that the apps weren't removed at that time, updates just weren't being uploadesld which was precisely the restriction - new apps and updates to existing apps had to comply with the new requirements.

DJI later removed the apps when it became obvious that old versions being available on the default matketppace was causing a lot of user confusion.
2023-10-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI apps are not 'banned' on Google Play. Ignore Labroids, he knows not of what he speaks.

DJI stopped uploading updates to Google Play because they chose to not comply with additional app requirements that Google imposed - but they wouldn't explain exactly which policies they wouldn't/couldn't comply with which is still a little worrying in itself

After a while they removed the old obsolete versions as they were causing user confusion.
2023-10-7
Use props
djiuser_NVHw70Qomvid
New

United States

No Original Thought Posted at 10-7 15:20
DJI apps are not 'banned' on Google Play. Ignore Labroids, he knows not of what he speaks.

DJI stopped uploading updates to Google Play because they chose to not comply with additional app requirements that Google imposed - but they wouldn't explain exactly which policies they wouldn't/couldn't comply with which is still a little worrying in itself

This is the correct answer. I have no idea why labroids is posting such misinformation. If the US government was blocking the DJI Fly app, it wouldn't be available in the Apple App Store.
2023-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 10-7 15:14
DJI have always used apk files.

The restrictions imposed by the US government are on investing and share dealing (or similar), they are not consumer level restrictions.

And you say that I don't know what I'm talking about !!
Everyone knows it's not a ban on consumers buying DJI products, but it goes far beyond investing and share trading.

How would that kind of restriction stop Google from allowing DJI's apps in their marketplace.
How about the same kind of restrictions that did this to Huawei?
https://support.google.com/andro ... ogle-services?hl=en

2023-10-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree that this has nothing to do with US government business restrictions on DJI.
I guess it's just a coincidence that DJI apps were available through Google, until the commerce Dept put DJI on their Entity List.

DJI decided to stop using Google Play Store due to Google updating their compatibility strategies.
2023-10-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-7 17:08
Everyone knows it's not a ban on consumers buying DJI products, but it goes far beyond investing and share trading.

Mr Blue Reply is back...

My apologies for simplifying... and 8 don't remember the exact description from when I read it a year or so ago, but the US government ban WAS to do with investments and securities - yes, that's more than just shares, but I'm not an investment banker so I don't claim to understand the nuances of that.

However, there is nothing in that ban that would prevent Google from distributing the DJI apps.

And the Huawei ban was very different. The UK actually considered a matching ban and it would have prevented the use of Huawei 'systems' in critical 'onfrastricture'. Whether the UK government drones actually understood what they were talking about is debatable - hardware, appliances, virtual appliances, software etc - but that would have been very different to the US DJI ban.

The bottom line is that DJI apps are not banned from Google Play - you are simply wrong about that.
2023-10-8
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-7 17:08

The Verge article you linked in your first reply might also give you a clue.

"banning US-based companies from exporting technology to the company."

Allowing an app to be listed on their app store is not 'exporting technology'.

However, use of the Google SDK may be considered as Google exporting technology' to users of those SDKs.

Google updated it's Play Store requirements such that apps have to meet a minimum SDK version at the time of the DJI app updates ceasing on Google Play.

They have since revised that SDK version policy to make it even more restrictive.

If the ban prevents DJI from updating the SDKnused to build their aps then that would require A LOT of work from DJI - having to rewrite Android core functionality themselves - so they chose not to do thatz understandably.

Once again, they were not banned from Google Play, but meeting Google Play's update requirements became too difficult / uneconomical.

2023-10-8
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I hate Google!!!
2023-10-8
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've actually done a bit more digging on this.

Looking at the apk for the latest DJI Fly Version (1.12.0 - 230915-1100), I can see the following SDK versions:
    A: android:compileSdkVersion(0x01010572)=(type 0x10)0x1e
    A: android:compileSdkVersionCodename(0x01010573)="11" (Raw: "11")
      A: android:minSdkVersion(0x0101020c)=(type 0x10)0x18
      A: android:targetSdkVersion(0x01010270)=(type 0x10)0x1e
      A: android:maxSdkVersion(0x01010271)=(type 0x10)0x16
      A: android:maxSdkVersion(0x01010271)=(type 0x10)0x1d

The SDK versions are in hex, so the latest version of the app targets API version 30 (Android 11 - Red Velvet Cake) and supports a minimum API version of 24 (Android 7 - Nougat).

Android 14 is now released (API level 34) and app updates uploaded to Google Play must target an API level that was realease in, I think, the last two years (I should probably check the last developer email I received about this, really, to confirm).

So to update the app now, DJI would need to bump their target SDK version to at least 31, probably 32 (Android 12 - Snow Cone). In fact, I have read in some places that as of August this year, the target SDK version must now be 33 (Android 13 - Tiramisu) but I haven;t confirmed that.

I don't remember exactly when DJI stopped updating on Gogle Play, but I do remember that it coincided with Google introducing the new requirements.

API/SDK 30 was released in 2020, so this would seem to tie in with DJI no longer updating their target SDK after the new requirements came into force, hence them not being able to upload any updates to Google Play.

For clarity, this was a global developer requirement, not a requirement specifically imposed on DJI. All developers have to comply with this requirement to distribute ther aps through Google Play. The new API versions include stability and security updates - SDK 31 in particular included a lot of new stuff to help prevent dodgy apps taking permissions they shoudln't - so this is Google's way of protecting the platform and ensuring a better Android user experience. It's a pain for developers, but if you want to be on the biggest Android marketplace you gotta play by their rules.

2023-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules