552 15 2023-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5039731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am looking for a two way radio system with a scanner for aircraft and police. So My visual observer can communicate with my while monitoring aircraft and police for safety. Any suggestions?

2023-10-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'll PM you some observations/suggestions.
2023-10-7
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 10-7 12:54
I'll PM you some observations/suggestions.

Sounds Good. Thank you.
2023-10-7
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19496844 ft
United States

I use a Yaesu  FT-65 FT-65R VHF UHF Dual Band  Compact Handheld Transceiver. especially when flying around airports and for emergency service missions for search and rescue ops
its programable &  it is a transceiver so you can communicate with airplanes & others with in your locations

Some of the Specs
- VHF/UHF Commercial Grade Dual Band Handheld Transceiver
- Compact Design, Measuring W 2.1” x H 4.1” x D 1.2” (52.5 x 104.5 x 31 mm)
- Rugged Construction; Meets IP54 Rating (Dust/Water protection) , MIL-810-C,D and E
- One Watt Powerful Audio Output and Clear Audio from the Big Front Speaker
- 5 Watts of Reliable RF Power within a Compact body
- Three Selectable TX Power settings (5 W (High)/2.5 W (Middle)/0.5 W (Low))
- Over 9 hours Operating time with Supplied 1,950 mAh Li-Ion Battery pack *1
- Optional High-capacity 2,500 mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack (SBR-26LI) provides over 11.5 hours of Extended Operating Time *1
- 2.5-Hour Rapid Charger (SBH-22) Included (Using SBR-25LI)
- QRK (Quick Recall Key) : Four User Programmable Keys for Quick Access to Favorite Functions
- Large White LED Flashlight, Alarm and Quick Home Channel Access for Emergency Signaling
- Versatile Scanning Capabilities : Programmed VFO Scan, Memory Scan, Priority Channel Scan, Weather Alert Scan
- WX Channels with "Severe Weather" Alert (US Version)
- VOX Operation with Optional VOX Earpiece Microphone (SSM-512B)
- PC Programmable with Optional Programming Cable (SCU-35)
- Transceiver-to-Transceiver Cloning with Optional Cloning Cable (SCU-36)
- FM Broadcast Receiver Equipped
- ARTS (Automatic Range Transponder System)
- DTMF Operation
- CTCSS/DCS Operation
- Busy Channel Lock-Out (BCLO)
- Battery Saver Function
- Automatic Power-Off (APO) Feature
- Transmitter Time-Out-Timer (TOT)
*1 (Tx) 6 sec. : (Rx)6sec. : (Standby) 48 sec Duty Cycle
2023-11-20
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-20 21:49
I use a Yaesu  FT-65 FT-65R VHF UHF Dual Band  Compact Handheld Transceiver. especially when flying around airports and for emergency service missions for search and rescue ops
its programable &  it is a transceiver so you can communicate with airplanes & others with in your locations

That's funny. I bought one and my nearest Airport Newark international isn't on that band. I had to return it, I will have to buy a bearcat scanner to get that frequency. It would have been a great low cost solution.
2023-11-21
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 11-21 04:51
That's funny. I bought one and my nearest Airport Newark international isn't on that band. I had to return it, I will have to buy a bearcat scanner to get that frequency. It would have been a great low cost solution.

Thats a good choice a little more bang for your buck. I only paid $89 for the one i have. it suites our needs.
I did had to put a diamond back power antenna on the one i had to get the 25mile range other wise i think it was limited to about 5 miles so putting the power antenna on it really help I am glad you found a solution that works for your needs having a transceivers are a very helpful tool
2023-11-22
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-22 07:42
Thats a good choice a little more bang for your buck. I only paid $89 for the one i have. it suites our needs.
I did had to put a diamond back power antenna on the one i had to get the 25mile range other wise i think it was limited to about 5 miles so putting the power antenna on it really help I am glad you found a solution that works for your needs  having a transceivers are a very helpful tool

It's funny that apps like live ATC does a great job on one channel for free.
2023-11-22
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 11-22 07:44
It's funny that apps like live ATC does a great job on one channel for free.

Ooo thats good to know. I use Aloft a lot too for airspace restrictions and that has a atc communications as well . but the transceivers are great when your using a VO
2023-11-22
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ms Ivy Posted at 11-22 07:47
Ooo thats good to know. I use Aloft a lot too for airspace restrictions and that has a atc communications as well . but the transceivers are great when your using a VO

I usually put live atc arrivals or departures on the VOs phone.
2023-11-22
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just an FYI with those radios.  If you don't have a HAM license, using those radios could get you in trouble quickly.  FCC is not like the FAA with drones.  They will come down on you hard and fast and with hefty fines even if you use them on GMRS and go beyond power limits.
2023-11-23
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A1C Posted at 11-23 06:01
Just an FYI with those radios.  If you don't have a HAM license, using those radios could get you in trouble quickly.  FCC is not like the FAA with drones.  They will come down on you hard and fast and with hefty fines even if you use them on GMRS and go beyond power limits.

Only if you transmit. You can monitor to your heart's content.
2023-11-23
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 11-23 06:07
Only if you transmit. You can monitor to your heart's content.

Absolutely, monitoring no problem and probably the best radios for the job.  Yaesu and Icom probably the best in the biz.
2023-11-23
Use props
aramsmak
lvl.1

Ukraine

One popular option for this purpose is the Uniden BC125AT Handheld Scanner. It covers a broad range of frequencies, including those used by aircraft and emergency services. This scanner supports VHF, UHF, and narrowband frequencies, making it versatile for various communication needs. However, it's important to note that the legality of monitoring certain frequencies varies by region, so be sure to check and comply with local regulations.
2023-11-24
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aramsmak Posted at 11-24 02:38
One popular option for this purpose is the Uniden BC125AT Handheld Scanner. It covers a broad range of frequencies, including those used by aircraft and emergency services. This scanner supports VHF, UHF, and narrowband frequencies, making it versatile for various communication needs. However, it's important to note that the legality of monitoring certain frequencies varies by region, so be sure to check and comply with local regulations.

That works for all of the frequencies I need. Thank you.
2023-11-24
Use props
Freeloader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144688 ft
United States

That radio will work alright on air craft bands but not for police bands, all police bands have switched over to the new Digital bands now which are Phase 1 and Phase 2, Simulcast systems,  which require a all new type of scanner, very expensive now. If you just want to listen to aircraft and Railroad that radio will do just fine. You can Check Radio Reference site and see if you specific area is on this new system there are some towns still one the old system but there far and between. When Radio Shack went out of businesses everybody bought there radios and then about 6 months later they switched to the new system and the radios were useless. Can find all the older Scanners on E bay dirt cheap now.
2023-11-24
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Freeloader Posted at 11-24 05:51
That radio will work alright on air craft bands but not for police bands, all police bands have switched over to the new Digital bands now which are Phase 1 and Phase 2, Simulcast systems,  which require a all new type of scanner, very expensive now. If you just want to listen to aircraft and Railroad that radio will do just fine. You can Check Radio Reference site and see if you specific area is on this new system there are some towns still one the old system but there far and between. When Radio Shack went out of businesses everybody bought there radios and then about 6 months later they switched to the new system and the radios were useless. Can find all the older Scanners on E bay dirt cheap now.

There is less and less available on analog.
2023-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules