Problems with mapping mission
660 8 2023-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

Recently, (and after applying the 9/18 update - not sure if that is an issue or not), I flew a mapping mission and had a couple of problems.
The DJI app complains that my RTH altitude is lower than the height set for the mission. I don't understand how that would be a problem so I just ignore it and fly the mission. I'd rather the aircraft didn't return at the height set for the mission to keep it away from high winds to save the batteries. Can't it just go down to my preset RTH height and return from there?

Can anyone shed a little light on what's going on here? User error? Problem with the program?
2023-10-24
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Check the M30 RTH manual section pg 20, https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v2.0_EN.pdf
2023-10-25
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Canada

AR_AirPrecision Posted at 10-25 02:25
Check the M30 RTH manual section pg 20, https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/matrice-30-series/20230922UM/Matrice30_Series_User_Manual_v2.0_EN.pdf

Thanks for responding. I've read the manual carefully to see what I might be missing, but there's no mention of this behavior that I can see.
I assume it's working as programmed, I just don't understand the logic. If the AC is at end of mission, descending to the RTH height I've selected to clear obstacles on the mission should be all that's needed.
Perhaps it would be more useful for DJI to set a reminder to check your RTH height if your mapping mission height is significantly different to avoid crashes.
2023-10-25
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Hoarfrost Posted at 10-25 05:42
Thanks for responding. I've read the manual carefully to see what I might be missing, but there's no mention of this behavior that I can see.
I assume it's working as programmed, I just don't understand the logic. If the AC is at end of mission, descending to the RTH height I've selected to clear obstacles on the mission should be all that's needed.
Perhaps it would be more useful for DJI to set a reminder to check your RTH height if your mapping mission height is significantly different to avoid crashes.

It depends of the distance between home point and UAV. Less than 50m it stays at currrent height, more it should lower or raise based on RTH setting.

This should be a check on your prior take off checklist :-) RTH is set "properly"
2023-10-25
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Canada

AR_AirPrecision Posted at 10-25 23:19
It depends of the distance between home point and UAV. Less than 50m it stays at currrent height, more it should lower or raise based on RTH setting.

This should be a check on your prior take off checklist :-) RTH is set "properly"

Yes - I always double check the RTH because I'm always flying in different locations with hazards at different heights.
When I'm running mapping missions however, there's the height that the mission is flying at - typically above 300 feet, but I don't need RTH at that height - usually 130 feet is plenty to clear trees.
Many missions have required multiple battery changes, so, mid flight, I pause, RTH, swap batteries and resume.
I would rather the drone not stay up at mapping height for an RTH since there's more wind up there and usually, I'm returning to change batteries because they're low - so anything I can do to reduce the drain - like flying home at a lower altitude is a good thing.
I'm not sure why DJI thinks keeping the RTH height at the mission height or higher is "proper". If I understood the logic, I would know better what to do.
In the meantime, I set the best RTH height and ignore the warning.
2023-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hoarfrost Posted at 10-26 05:28
Yes - I always double check the RTH because I'm always flying in different locations with hazards at different heights.
When I'm running mapping missions however, there's the height that the mission is flying at - typically above 300 feet, but I don't need RTH at that height - usually 130 feet is plenty to clear trees.
Many missions have required multiple battery changes, so, mid flight, I pause, RTH, swap batteries and resume.

Hi, there. For your question, we will forward it to our engineers. Once we have the repsonse, we will update here as soon as possible.
2023-11-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hoarfrost Posted at 10-26 05:28

Hi, we confirmed with our teams. The App will prompt when the mission height is higher than the RTH height.
It is just a notification reminder. It does not interfere with your actual flights. Please pay attention to the flight environment.
2023-11-16
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-16 05:32
Hi, we confirmed with our teams. The App will prompt when the mission height is higher than the RTH height.
It is just a notification reminder. It does not interfere with your actual flights. Please pay attention to the flight environment.

Thanks for getting back to me. I was hoping to understand why that was an issue that the app needed to warn me about - but I will be fine ignoring it.
2023-11-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hoarfrost Posted at 11-16 06:07
Thanks for getting back to me. I was hoping to understand why that was an issue that the app needed to warn me about - but I will be fine ignoring it.

Just for safety concerns. It is used to let the pilot notice the height and avoid any sequent accidents.
2023-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules