12Next >
1325 40 2023-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Bit shocked today. Got a forced landing at 10 percent. (Yes I understand why it exists etc). Battery seemed to drop faster than usual in average temps and low wind. These things happen. What I found disturbing though was that during forced landing it wouldn't let me move forwards (towards me) no matter what I did it either held altitude or came down. So over water it'd have been lost when allowing some lateral motion would have got it home to me no problem. When I went to charge it it started at 2 lights...suggestive of the capacity being read wrong, perhaps causing this overall "fault"? I've seen plenty videos where forced landing was activated but the user could still guide it towards them as it lowered. Any ideas what is going on. I'm on 2nd last firmware (don't want to update incase of problems etc at moment).
2023-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Any ideas what is going on. I'm on 2nd last firmware (don't want to update in case of problems etc at moment).
Not unless you post flight data that will show a lot more of the important details that would be necessary to work it out.
It had nothing to do with whatever firmware version you had.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2023-10-9
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-9 13:51
Any ideas what is going on. I'm on 2nd last firmware (don't want to update in case of problems etc at moment).
Not unless you post flight data that will show a lot more of the important details that would be necessary to work it out.
It had nothing to do with whatever firmware version you had.

Will do when next on pc. I prefer to keep privacy re flights. I'll share as long as it doesn't display every flight or whatever to the world.
2023-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-9 14:02
Will do when next on pc. I prefer to keep privacy re flights. I'll share as long as it doesn't display every flight or whatever to the world.

No-one wants to see all your flights, and very few members here can read flight data anyway.
Just post the last flight that had the issue.
2023-10-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"What I found disturbing though was that during forced landing it wouldn't let me move forwards (towards me) no matter what I did it either held altitude or came down. "
Was OA switched on and detecting you as an object?
2023-10-9
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-9 14:54
"What I found disturbing though was that during forced landing it wouldn't let me move forwards (towards me) no matter what I did it either held altitude or came down. "
Was OA switched on and detecting you as an object?

Drone was 250m away so no. And yes it was on.
2023-10-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

primeshooter Posted at 10-9 15:59
Drone was 250m away so no. And yes it was on.

Could it have been detecting something else?
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. During the forced landing, did you manage to capture the live feed showing the message on the DJI fly app? If yes, could you please provide it to us so we can check it further? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-10-9
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Did this happen with a Mini 3 Pro or with a Mini 4 Pro ?

2023-10-9
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755669 ft
Germany

Space Dream Posted at 10-9 19:56

:-)   Are you aware in which Forum we are?
2023-10-9
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-9 16:54
Could it have been detecting something else?

No way. It was about 80m high nothing around it anywhere.
2023-10-10
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-9 19:50
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. During the forced landing, did you manage to capture the live feed showing the message on the DJI fly app? If yes, could you please provide it to us so we can check it further? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Didn't think to record it as it happened so fast.
2023-10-10
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Space Dream Posted at 10-9 19:56

Mini 3 pro
2023-10-10
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

ElleKN Posted at 10-9 22:59
:-)   Are you aware in which Forum we are?

Are you aware that you are acting as a know-it-all ?

I prefer to ask because headlines are not always the yardstick

And such comments very often drive people away from forums

2023-10-10
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

When first time forced landing notice is flashed on screen & you confirm it by clicking on it. Then forced landing reduces the ability to move up/down left/right.

The day it happened first time with us Me & my copilot we decided to practice forced landing once a month & screen record it over various location day/night time so we remain confident in getting drone landed in emergency when needed without panic.

I have developed SOP for such forced landing which I will share along with the video hopefully tomorrow. We just practiced last weekend where we screen recorded it.

Since we don't have your flight data we are not sure hence few questions I have.

1. Do you mean that the battery actually was for example 40% & suddenly started to show as 10% with forced landing notice?

2. Did you click on "confirm" on the forced landing notice?
2023-10-10
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ranjan Posted at 10-10 05:06
When first time forced landing notice is flashed on screen & you confirm it by clicking on it. Then forced landing reduces the ability to move up/down left/right.

The day it happened first time with us Me & my copilot we decided to practice forced landing once a month & screen record it over various location day/night time so we remain confident in getting drone landed in emergency when needed without panic.

Oh I think you've nailed it!
I might have clicked on tht if it flashed up as it wldnt move out way. So then, does this mean in future that I can disable that and get some more control? This would be good. How do I make it go away? Would there have been a no option? (Happened very fast). What I don't understand is, if it asks to do a forced landing well, it's not really forced is it. And it disabling forward and backward movement is stupid. If I future I know I can click no or if an x appears to close that message I'm all good. I honestly don't remember that option though so if someone can clarify this it would be helpful. Anything I watch on YouTube of forced landing doesn't let you override it. It counts down from 10 then forces it. But mine stopped me moving forward or backwards.

No it didn't drop from 40 to 10, just a bit quicker than normal - at least that was my impression at the time, but I recon it is just because I took off with an 84% battery, hindsight! I just pushed it a bit more that normal knowing I can always get back. I would have easily made it had I not pushed that button? But after the countdown I assume it would do the same as pushing it? It's pretty confusing.
2023-10-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post the flight log then all will be revealed without the need to rely on "impressions". Only information relating to the flight covered by the log is shown.
2023-10-11
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Ranjan Posted at 10-10 05:06

Would be very helpful if you can post a video showing and explaining this process in detail

I have not had such an incident yet but I feel totally insecure on this point

2023-10-11
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

primeshooter Posted at 10-10 09:05
Oh I think you've nailed it!
I might have clicked on tht if it flashed up as it wldnt move out way. So then, does this mean in future that I can disable that and get some more control? This would be good. How do I make it go away? Would there have been a no option? (Happened very fast). What I don't understand is, if it asks to do a forced landing well, it's not really forced is it. And it disabling forward and backward movement is stupid. If I future I know I can click no or if an x appears to close that message I'm all good. I honestly don't remember that option though so if someone can clarify this it would be helpful. Anything I watch on YouTube of forced landing doesn't let you override it. It counts down from 10 then forces it. But mine stopped me moving forward or backwards.

It's so automatic with me I forget which button I hit but you can cancel a forced landing - at least I have- although at some point at 1 or 2 minutes of battery life it's going to land no matter what. At 10min of battery life you should be able to cancel that.  It's frustrating if you are flying and filming so I have learned I always come back or at least stop filming around 20% which is smart anyway but I have no issues in cancelling a forced landing when it's well above 5%, that's for sure.
2023-10-11
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

digibud Posted at 10-11 06:16
It's so automatic with me I forget which button I hit but you can cancel a forced landing - at least I have- although at some point at 1 or 2 minutes of battery life it's going to land no matter what. At 10min of battery life you should be able to cancel that.  It's frustrating if you are flying and filming so I have learned I always come back or at least stop filming around 20% which is smart anyway but I have no issues in cancelling a forced landing when it's well above 5%, that's for sure.

How do you CANCEL forced landing? there is no such option.

Only thing you can do is not to click on CONFIRM when forced landing message pops up on screen. That message pop up remains on screen for 8 second.
All that while you keep flying toward home point, all controls will be available.
2023-10-11
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Space Dream Posted at 10-11 06:09
Would be very helpful if you can post a video showing and explaining this process in detail

I have not had such an incident yet but I feel totally insecure on this point

I have the video but there is no audio in it so I am thinking to record audio as to what is happening on screen that will be helpful for others to follow as SOP.

Busy is other editing work, as soon as I get time I will record it & post the edited version.
2023-10-11
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Ranjan Posted at 10-11 06:40
I have the video but there is no audio in it so I am thinking to record audio as to what is happening on screen that will be helpful for others to follow as SOP.

Busy is other editing work, as soon as I get time I will record it & post the edited version.

Busy is other editing work, as soon as I get time I will record it & post the edited version

This is very good news ⭐️ thank you very much for your willingness

2023-10-11
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-11 04:45
Post the flight log then all will be revealed without the need to rely on "impressions". Only information relating to the flight covered by the log is shown.

I've not got round to it yet - I have a job and I am busy. But I don't know how to do it presently or at least need to look into it. I don't have the app on my phone - I use the RC. When I get a minute I try it.
2023-10-11
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

digibud Posted at 10-11 06:16

If it happens to you in future please post what you do!
2023-10-11
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Smart RTH & Forced Landing at 6:43

2023-10-11
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Space Dream Posted at 10-11 10:29
Smart RTH & Forced Landing at 6:43

Unfortunately this video says very little and doesn't detail how to override for safety reasons for example if over water.
2023-10-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-11 07:29
I've not got round to it yet - I have a job and I am busy. But I don't know how to do it presently or at least need to look into it. I don't have the app on my phone - I use the RC. When I get a minute I try it.

It's simple.
The flight records are in the controller at:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord
Find the relevant .txt file from that data and post it.
2023-10-11
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

primeshooter Posted at 10-11 11:12
Unfortunately this video says very little and doesn't detail how to override for safety reasons for example if over water.

You are right, is really very meagerly demonstrated and unfortunately not very helpful
2023-10-11
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Labroides Posted at 10-11 14:09
It's simple.

I get access to "DJIFlightRecord" when I connect the RC remote to my Mac with a USB cable and have
"Android File Transfer" installed on the Mac. Then I see the "txt file" right at the top of the display.
Flight Data.jpg
2023-10-11
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814045 ft
Turkey

Forced landing is the dumbest thing on DJI drones. I can understand that it wants to descend to avoid a freefall from 100-200 meter high.
But slowing down the horizontal movement to 3m/s in forced landing doesn't make sense while the drone is at least 50 meter high from the ground.
There are a lot of crashed DJI drones which could fly back to home if the forced landing had not limited the horizontal movement speed.
2023-10-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopanz Posted at 10-12 00:59
Forced landing is the dumbest thing on DJI drones. I can understand that it wants to descend to avoid a freefall from 100-200 meter high.
But slowing down the horizontal movement to 3m/s in forced landing doesn't make sense while the drone is at least 50 meter high from the ground.
There are a lot of crashed DJI drones which could fly back to home if the forced landing had not limited the horizontal movement speed.

"But slowing down the horizontal movement to 3m/s in forced landing doesn't make sense while the drone is at least 50 meter high from the ground."

Since you seem to know what 'makes sense', could explain how a drone increases horizontal speed yet maintains  or controls height and the consequence of that on the power or current or charge drawn from the battery?
Perhaps in so doing you might come to realise some, if not all, of the reasons behind the horizontal speed being limited.

A lot more drones would make it back home if they weren't flown to battery exhaustion but I suppose accepting that idea would mean that their pilots would have to admit they either made a mistake or flew a stupid flight and that goes against the grain for some people who think they themselves are flawless.
2023-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kopanz Posted at 10-12 00:59
Forced landing is the dumbest thing on DJI drones. I can understand that it wants to descend to avoid a freefall from 100-200 meter high.

There are a lot of crashed DJI drones which would have safely flown back to home if the the flyer hadn't pushed the limits and had returned to home before the battery reached critical low voltage.
It's not very complicated.

2023-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-11 07:29
I've not got round to it yet - I have a job and I am busy. But I don't know how to do it presently or at least need to look into it. I don't have the app on my phone - I use the RC. When I get a minute I try it.

You had plenty of time to come back to this thread and post again and again.
But not enough time to take two minutes to post the flight data that's necesary to answer your questions?
Why bother to start the thread when you aren't really that interested?
2023-10-12
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-12 15:20
You had plenty of time to come back to this thread and post again and again.
But not enough time to take two minutes to post the flight data that's necesary to answer your questions?
Why bother to start the thread when you aren't really that interested?

What's with the attitude? Yes I have time on breaks in work etc to respond here. I don't even know how to get that data off the drone at this point and if you've been paying attention some headway has been made already even without this info. If the thread annoys you so much; pass it by.
2023-10-12
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-11 14:09
It's simple.

And I will do it when I'm next on my PC, which I haven't been yet.
2023-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-12 15:28
What's with the attitude? Yes I have time on breaks in work etc to respond here. I don't even know how to get that data off the drone at this point and if you've been paying attention some headway has been made already even without this info. If the thread annoys you so much; pass it by.

I don't even know how to get that data off the drone
How could you?

Except that instructions were provided back in the first reply your post received.
And the data isn't on your drone.
But don't bother ... I've lost interest in helping someone who prefers to carry on a discussion for days, based on guesses rather than take two minutes to look at factual data to find out what actually happened.
2023-10-12
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-12 16:33
I don't even know how to get that data off the drone
How could you?

Something tells me that rather than be helpful you'd rather be passive aggressive to someone you don't even know.
2023-10-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-12 22:24
Something tells me that rather than be helpful you'd rather be passive aggressive to someone you don't even know.

Something tells you??
I told you .. I'm no longer interested in helping you.

rather than be helpful you'd rather be passive aggressive to someone you don't even know.
I did try to help you, but you jerked me around, and now you're getting snarky.

2023-10-13
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-13 01:59
Something tells you??
I told you .. I'm no longer interested in helping you.

What an attitude you have! You must be really fun at parties.
2023-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 10-13 03:40
What an attitude you have! You must be really fun at parties.

I've just got no time for jerks who come here asking for help, ignore the offer of genuine assistance and waste time with guesses and uninformed speculation, having no interest in finding out the facts.
Particularly when they say they will post data, but never get around to it.
2023-10-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules