Action 4 AUDIO not recording
1025 11 2023-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndyHPhotograpy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, I'm using the Action 4 with the Rode Wireless II via USBC.  On some video (about 20%) the audio is either non existent or cuts off at any time (normally around 20sec) in the recording.

Any ideas if this is an Action 4 issue or an issue with my specific camera?  (Note the Rode works perfectly on my iPhone and Canon so it's not the mic)  

I've looked over the forum and see there was an 'old' audio issue on the 3 where a lot of background noise could cause it to cut off (and may be related to quick shoot) but would have expected this to be fixed.  I have noticed this when I'm shooting near waterfalls and the noise created by them.

Fortunately the Rode records to the mic transmitter but now I have hours of searching and re alignment to the video :-((

TIA
2023-10-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

check for a bad connection with the Action 4 and hte usb c adapter, try a diffeent one and if the same then its the camera and or the  set up
2023-10-10
Use props
AndyHPhotograpy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 10-10 07:26
check for a bad connection with the Action 4 and hte usb c adapter, try a diffeent one and if the same then its the camera and or the  set up

Thanks.  I've swapped the cable but wont be anywhere near a waterfall for a few more days to recreate the noisy background.  I may stick it out the car window to try and simulate it  
2023-10-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please post an example so we can check it? Thank you.
2023-10-11
Use props
Patched Bandit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213258 ft
  • >>>
Finland

This is likely the same issue I keep having with RODE mic connected with usb-c. Thread, test videos etc. found here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D923%26typeid%3D923
2023-10-11
Use props
AndyH Photography
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Patched Bandit Posted at 10-11 03:31
This is likely the same issue I keep having with RODE mic connected with usb-c. Thread, test videos etc. found here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=299283&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D923%26typeid%3D923

Thanks for the link.  I definitely do not think this is the cable.

I have the gain on the mic set to -30 (due to the noise of the waterfalls and wonder whether it may be linked to that so will do some tests over the next few days

Did you ever get t the bottom of it (I've read the thread and it doesn't look like you did)
2023-10-11
Use props
AndyH Photography
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-11 03:13
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please post an example so we can check it? Thank you.

Thanks for reaching out.  Here's a link to the MP4...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HvSj_72ZAc5N9amhlCzZ2RGnMDAKgrug/view?usp=drive_link

The sound is fine at the start but cuts out after about 7-8 seconds

Please let me know if you can view it okay or not
2023-10-11
Use props
AndyH Photography
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-11 03:13

've just been out and done some testing by a waterfall which was creating a lot of noise and the test footage draws me to the following conclusion:
- Power on the camera, and the recording using the Rode works fine with no cut outs
- changing the gain on the Rode for some reason seems to make no difference to background noise
- On quick start the audio fails after about 40 seconds and given the background noise of the waterfall at this point I'm convinced it was using the internal mic, not the Rode.  Also when I changed the gain on the Rode mic during this test, the sound would cut in a for a few seconds, then cut out again.

I believe this is a software issues in the OA4 when using quick start that needs to be addressed by dji

I have the sample videos it you want to view them

Cheers
2023-10-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

AndyH Photography Posted at 10-12 05:54
've just been out and done some testing by a waterfall which was creating a lot of noise and the test footage draws me to the following conclusion:
- Power on the camera, and the recording using the Rode works fine with no cut outs
- changing the gain on the Rode for some reason seems to make no difference to background noise

Hi, Andy. Thank you for the information provided. However, the link is not accessible as it was set as private. Please set it as public so we can check it. We appreciate your cooperation.
2023-10-13
Use props
AndyH Photography
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-13 03:51
Hi, Andy. Thank you for the information provided. However, the link is not accessible as it was set as private. Please set it as public so we can check it. We appreciate your cooperation.

Apologies for that.  You should be able to access it now
2023-10-13
Use props
ronj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208419 ft
United States

Likely this issue - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=298126. Don't use the quick record feature.  Power up your OA first and then hit record.
2023-10-14
Use props
AndyH Photography
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ronj Posted at 10-14 01:27
Likely this issue - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=298126. Don't use the quick record feature.  Power up your OA first and then hit record.

Many thanks.  I think I'll avoid quick start until there's some kind if update to address it
2023-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules