FocusTrack is disabled when using a wide-angle lens or ND filter.
512 5 2023-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

From the manual:-
'FocusTrack is disabled when using a wide-angle lens or ND filter.'

I'm curious why this is, aprticularly the ND filter.
I get that changing the FOV with wide angle may confuse things, but don't see why an ND filter should disable FocusTrack.
All I can think of is that motion blur upsets it.

Has anyone tried it, is this really the case?

2023-10-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Sam654. Thank you for reaching out. The reason why FocusTrack is disabled when using a wide-angle lens or ND filter is that mounting a filter (wide angle or ND) may affect the stability of the active track function. Can you please confirm if you already have an ND filter? If yes, please try it on your end because our relevant team believes that the firmware update has been rolled out to optimize this concern.

2023-10-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-13 23:08
Hi, Sam654. Thank you for reaching out. The reason why FocusTrack is disabled when using a wide-angle lens or ND filter is that mounting a filter (wide angle or ND) may affect the stability of the active track function. Can you please confirm if you already have an ND filter? If yes, please try it on your end because our relevant team believes that the firmware update has been rolled out to optimize this concern.

I do have an ND filter set. I have yet to use them with FocusTrack.
They don't appear to have significantly more mass or bulk than the ordinary lens cover, so should not be a problem. I will try it when I get the opportunity.
2023-10-14
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sam654 Posted at 10-14 00:54
I do have an ND filter set. I have yet to use them with FocusTrack.
They don't appear to have significantly more mass or bulk than the ordinary lens cover, so should not be a problem. I will try it when I get the opportunity.

it has nothing to do with the mass of the filter!
Focus track is a pure optical technology and when you put sunglasses on you drone-camera, there
might be not enough optical information to make a focus tracking.
2023-10-14
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-13 23:08
Hi, Sam654. Thank you for reaching out. The reason why FocusTrack is disabled when using a wide-angle lens or ND filter is that mounting a filter (wide angle or ND) may affect the stability of the active track function. Can you please confirm if you already have an ND filter? If yes, please try it on your end because our relevant team believes that the firmware update has been rolled out to optimize this concern.

This afternoon was bright and sunny, so ideal to try with an ND filter.
I used the ND64 with both Spotlight and Active Track modes and it worked without a problem.
The only time it lost a target was when passing into shadows, because the shadows were quite strong on a clear sunny day and with manually set exposure, it did not adjust for them.
So I can confirm FocusTrack will work with ND filters.
2023-10-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Sam654 Posted at 10-15 10:33
This afternoon was bright and sunny, so ideal to try with an ND filter.
I used the ND64 with both Spotlight and Active Track modes and it worked without a problem.
The only time it lost a target was when passing into shadows, because the shadows were quite strong on a clear sunny day and with manually set exposure, it did not adjust for them.

Hi, there. Sorry for the late notice. Thank you for your update regarding this matter. Please feel free to reach us if you have further concerns.
2023-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules