Enable remote ID mini 3 Pro
8804 36 2023-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

Okay guys, I think it's a complete farse, but the USA law requires us to enable remote ID, so how do I do it?
I have confirmed my controller and mini 3 pro drone have all the latest firmware updates. The DJI site states the drone will automatically transmit the remote ID if it detects the drone is in USA air space and the motors are operating. I am in Dallas, so definitely in USA air space, I have flown the drone 5 times, each time for more than 20 minutes, I have Drons scanner installed on my phone and it constantly tells me there are no drones near me, so that seems to indicate my drone is NOT transmitting its remote ID.
So what have I missed? There must be something else I need to do to enable remote ID? I did a search on the WEB and found a few things for other DJI drones but didn't find anything for the mini 3 pro..

Can someone suggest what I need to do, want to stay as legal as I can, I am using the larger battery so over 250g and it is registered for part 107 so I want remote ID operating (even if it is useless!).

Regards Gary
2023-10-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Just a thought, but maybe your Drone Scanner app is at fault here. Have you seen it detect drones anywhere?

(I'm not familiar with that app, does it detect the drone directly or does it simply show you drones on a map that have been detected by other equipment and added to a database?)
2023-10-14
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

I just watched a few reviews and the Drone Scanner app seemed to get the best reviews, so I installed it. I have no idea if it is actually working, I am in the country so there are no drones near me for it to detect..
I remember reading somewhere that even on the mini 3 pro I still had to enable Remote ID, and once enabled it can never be disabled. But I haven't found any where that allows me to enable remote ID, so I am assuming the Drone scanner app works and my drone is not transmitting the code. But it could be that the drone is sending out the remote ID but the app is not working. But how do I verify if my drone is transmitting a remote ID?
I was reading more about the Drone Scanner App and it seems if you are using an Apple device (I am!!) then it can only receive Remote ID transmitted by Bluetooth, and not by Wi-Fi!! So does the Mini 3 Pro transmit Remote ID info by bluetooth or Wifi? Maybe the drone is working and my iphone is the issue!!

Regards  Gary
2023-10-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

gary, how exactly is your drone properly registered with the faa if you didn't provide a remote ID number to the faa database?

do you have the remote ID number for your dji mini 3 pro drone?
2023-10-14
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

The Remote ID is the Mini 3 Pro 20 digit Serial number (start 158xxxxxxx), I went to the FAA drone registration WEB site, I am registered under part 107, so I logged in, selected my mini 3 drone from the list of my registered drones and selected the option that states I have remote ID on the drone, then selected the option that states the Remote ID is factory fitted by DJI, and I then provided my 20 digit drone serial number. So the FAA now has that information. I was trying to confirm that the drone is really transmitting the information and that it matches the serial number I provided to the FAA, but so far I have not found any way to check that the drone is transmitting the remote ID or an app that can received the transmitted data!!
2023-10-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The apps work better with Android than Crapple. Try Air Sentinel. Works great on my S21 Ultra.
2023-10-14
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

ThrasherG Posted at 10-14 14:23
I just watched a few reviews and the Drone Scanner app seemed to get the best reviews, so I installed it. I have no idea if it is actually working, I am in the country so there are no drones near me for it to detect..
I remember reading somewhere that even on the mini 3 pro I still had to enable Remote ID, and once enabled it can never be disabled. But I haven't found any where that allows me to enable remote ID, so I am assuming the Drone scanner app works and my drone is not transmitting the code. But it could be that the drone is sending out the remote ID but the app is not working. But how do I verify if my drone is transmitting a remote ID?
I was reading more about the Drone Scanner App and it seems if you are using an Apple device (I am!!) then it can only receive Remote ID transmitted by Bluetooth, and not by Wi-Fi!! So does the Mini 3 Pro transmit Remote ID info by bluetooth or Wifi? Maybe the drone is working and my iphone is the issue!!

I think that the mini 3 pro uses wifi.
2023-10-14
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-14 16:30
The apps work better with Android than Crapple. Try Air Sentinel. Works great on my S21 Ultra.

Unfortunately I only have Crapple devices!!
2023-10-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In accordance with Remote ID rules and compliance methods, manufacturers are prohibited from providing users with any method or tool in any form that can enable/disable Remote ID. To check if your unit is broadcasting the Remote ID, use the DJI remote controller to control the drone to start the motors, then use the WLAN of your cell phone or tablet to scan the Remote ID serial number broadcast by the drone at a location close to the drone. Please note that since the time required for WLAN scanning of different cell phones or tablets is not consistent, it may be necessary to restart the WLAN several times to scan the Remote ID serial number broadcast by the drone. If you can see a string always prefixed with “RID-” followed by a 20-digit alphanumeric Remote ID serial number in the "Available networks", it means that the Remote ID is broadcast properly. Hope this helps.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2882751
2023-10-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

ThrasherG Posted at 10-14 15:42
The Remote ID is the Mini 3 Pro 20 digit Serial number (start 158xxxxxxx), I went to the FAA drone registration WEB site, I am registered under part 107, so I logged in, selected my mini 3 drone from the list of my registered drones and selected the option that states I have remote ID on the drone, then selected the option that states the Remote ID is factory fitted by DJI, and I then provided my 20 digit drone serial number. So the FAA now has that information. I was trying to confirm that the drone is really transmitting the information and that it matches the serial number I provided to the FAA, but so far I have not found any way to check that the drone is transmitting the remote ID or an app that can received the transmitted data!!

Ok, I was just checking to make sure you took the last step to complete your registration which is to enter your RID number into the FAA database and you confirmed it, so you are 100% done.  Doesn't matter where you got the RID number from, the app or you derived it from the SN#. I realize you asked about actually detecting the transmission so that would have been the second part of my response which is this:  don't bother; it ain't easy.  Not only is it not required (that you detect and confirm the RID details are being transmitted properly from your standard remote ID drone which already has a Doc) but also there are no good, reliable apps for you to do so with without getting frustrated.

I know you might be curious and that's cool but I just wanted to throw that out there for those who might be reading this and question if they have an additional step to take to reach full compliance.  You don't have to prove it for yourself....you're done.  And if you hate remote ID as much as I do then you probably shouldn't care if it's transmitting or not.  Technically if you are aware your remote ID transmitter is busted then technically you are not allowed to fly that drone.  Just trust the indicator in the display and go with that.  I have half a dozen drones with standard ID and I haven't bothered to try to detect any of them.  Maybe I will one day (before March) but not until these broken scanner apps are fixed so you don't have to mess with them and change the settings trying to make it work.
2023-10-14
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

The Saint Posted at 10-14 20:02
Ok, I was just checking to make sure you took the last step to complete your registration which is to enter your RID number into the FAA database and you confirmed it, so you are 100% done.  Doesn't matter where you got the RID number from, the app or you derived it from the SN#. I realize you asked about actually detecting the transmission so that would have been the second part of my response which is this:  don't bother; it ain't easy.  Not only is it not required (that you detect and confirm the RID details are being transmitted properly from your standard remote ID drone which already has a Doc) but also there are no good, reliable apps for you to do so with without getting frustrated.

I know you might be curious and that's cool but I just wanted to throw that out there for those who might be reading this and question if they have an additional step to take to reach full compliance.  You don't have to prove it for yourself....you're done.  And if you hate remote ID as much as I do then you probably shouldn't care if it's transmitting or not.  Technically if you are aware your remote ID transmitter is busted then technically you are not allowed to fly that drone.  Just trust the indicator in the display and go with that.  I have half a dozen drones with standard ID and I haven't bothered to try to detect any of them.  Maybe I will one day (before March) but not until these broken scanner apps are fixed so you don't have to mess with them and change the settings trying to make it work.

Many thanks, that summarizes what I have seen and found so far. I think remote ID is currently useless, but I don’t want to get in legal trouble for flying without it, when my drone has the capability. Like you I don’t really care if it works or not, I was just curious to see how we detected it and what information it was actually transmitting. I will just go and fly and not worry about it.

Regards Gary
2023-10-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try using Air Sentinel.  It is a more robust App and works great on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.  On Friday the Air Sentinel picked up 2 drones in a park I was near so I know Air Sentinel works.
2023-10-15
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-15 06:38
Try using Air Sentinel.  It is a more robust App and works great on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.  On Friday the Air Sentinel picked up 2 drones in a park I was near so I know Air Sentinel works.

I will give it a try, but I have an Apple phone, so not sure the app is available for my phone, or will work, but worth a try.

Gary
Ps I looked in the Apple App Store and could not find air sentinel, so I assume it is not available for Apple devices..
2023-10-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ThrasherG Posted at 10-15 06:48
I will give it a try, but I have an Apple phone, so not sure the app is available for my phone, or will work, but worth a try.

Gary

Sorry, just read this on Air Sentinel's web site:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but as of now, AirSentinel.ai does not offer an iPhone or iOS-compatible app. Due to limitations within the iOS SDK, we are unable to provide an iOS version of the app. However, we understand the importance of catering to iOS users and are actively working towards developing an iOS version of the app. We hope to make it available in the near future. Please stay tuned for updates on our website or other communication channels.
2023-10-15
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-15 06:55
Sorry, just read this on Air Sentinel's web site:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but as of now, AirSentinel.ai does not offer an iPhone or iOS-compatible app. Due to limitations within the iOS SDK, we are unable to provide an iOS version of the app. However, we understand the importance of catering to iOS users and are actively working towards developing an iOS version of the app. We hope to make it available in the near future. Please stay tuned for updates on our website or other communication channels.

Thanks for looking and letting me know.

Gary
2023-10-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ThrasherG Posted at 10-15 07:05
Thanks for looking and letting me know.

Gary

No problem.  Seems many of the App developers lean to either Android or iOS but not always both.  
2023-10-15
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

I live in EU, and in my country Remote ID will be mandatory for devices like de Mini 3 pro (Cat. OPEN, class C0) from 01/01/2024.
I have installed the latest firmware which is supposed to add/enable mandatory RID to the device.
I have scanned the updated device in flight near me with Drone Scanner on my Android phone and scanned for Wi-Fi networks on a Windows laptop....nothing !

Is this expected behaviour for this device/firmware in EU as of 10/2023 (RID not yet mandatory) ?
Are there any rules implemented in the firmware, like enabled "US only" or "after 01/01/2024 in EU" ?
Or does it work only if the device ID is registered with the local autorithies ? (Not sure why this would enable a feature on the device ?)
2023-10-19
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

BenVCarlson Posted at 10-19 02:12
I live in EU, and in my country Remote ID will be mandatory for devices like de Mini 3 pro (Cat. OPEN, class C0) from 01/01/2024.
I have installed the latest firmware which is supposed to add/enable mandatory RID to the device.
I have scanned the updated device in flight near me with Drone Scanner on my Android phone and scanned for Wi-Fi networks on a Windows laptop....nothing !

I think the remote ID is only required for drones put on the market after that date. For legacy products (such as the Mini 3 Pro) it will not be required. At least my understanding.
2023-10-19
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

There is indeed a grace period for legacy products, but it ends on 01/01/24 (at least under local air ops regulations where I live)....
This has been officially confirmed to me by the authority in charge in a recent email.
Actually RID (DRI) will be mandatory here for devices like the Mini 3 Pro ("pre-Cx" class) to fly in CTR controlled zones, which is about 40% of Belgium :-P

2023-10-19
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

So...any hint why my UAS doesn't seem to advertise its ID ?
2023-10-19
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

BenVCarlson Posted at 10-19 07:51
So...any hint why my UAS doesn't seem to advertise its ID ?

Maybe because the M3P is not capable of doing it, because it was developed before that rule came up? I guess it requires some electronics inside the drone that is probably not present?
2023-10-19
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

Date: 2022.10.26
    Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0400

What’s New?

Added support for FAA's Remote ID requirements in the United States.

To me this means the hw support is there (also reading other comments on the subjet)
So I guess someone from DJI should give a statement here about EU Remote ID support ? 01/01/2024 is pretty close, and if the M3P will never get RID support in EU, I'd like to know so I can resell the device before year end.

Also the last page of the user manual : "The aircraft automatically allows Remote ID messages from takeoff to shut down"

I'm pretty new to drones, and digesting regulations and device capabilities isn't straightforward (certainly for EU users)....

2023-10-20
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

BenVCarlson Posted at 10-20 00:07
Date: 2022.10.26
    Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0400

Thanks for your additional information. Very interesting.
2023-10-20
Use props
Pete.H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68074 ft

United Kingdom

It looks like DJI Paladin answered your question above. They explain that you can check by using a mobile phone to look for a WiFi broadcast that starts with "RID" when your drone is flying close to you. You do not need a drone app, you just look at what WiFi connections are available to you (same as if you wanted to connect to WiFi at the pub or on the train). Have a look at their post for the details. Hope that helps?
2023-10-20
Use props
Andreja
lvl.4
Flight distance : 864961 ft
Germany

BenVCarlson Posted at 10-19 02:12
I have scanned the updated device in flight near me with Drone Scanner on my Android phone and scanned for Wi-Fi networks on a Windows laptop....nothing !

This is really interesting question. The EU Drone Regulation doesn't specify that C0 drones need to have remote ID: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... 276&from=EN#tocId57
and from what I can gather from the manual, the Mini 4 Pro, which comes as C0 out of the box, doesn't seem to have Remote ID in the  EU, so I suspect Mini 3 Pro won't have it either, when/if they switch to C0 class.

For reading EU Remorte ID details using WiFi, I've used Android application called "Drone Scanner", and I can see my C1 drone with it.

2023-10-20
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

Pete.H Posted at 10-20 01:05
It looks like DJI Paladin answered your question above. They explain that you can check by using a mobile phone to look for a WiFi broadcast that starts with "RID" when your drone is flying close to you. You do not need a drone app, you just look at what WiFi connections are available to you (same as if you wanted to connect to WiFi at the pub or on the train). Have a look at their post for the details. Hope that helps?

Yes, I did that but maybe I wasn't clear: beside the app on the phone, I also simply watched available Wi-Fi networks on my laptop: nothing starting with RID or anything looking like the UAS.
Previous to updating the firmware to 1.00.700, I also checked for Wi-Fi networks from my Android phone  (without drone app) while the aircraft was hovering near me: nothing either !
2023-10-20
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

Andreja Posted at 10-20 01:52
This is really interesting question. The EU Drone Regulation doesn't specify that C0 drones need to have remote ID: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... 276&from=EN#tocId57
and from what I can gather from the manual, the Mini 4 Pro, which comes as C0 out of the box, doesn't seem to have Remote ID in the  EU, so I suspect Mini 3 Pro won't have it either, when/if they switch to C0 class.

Yes you are right;
the problem comes from the local CTR regulations stating mandatory RID for any device in this class/category flying in CTR controlled areas (even in the least restrictive "VLL2" airspace which encompasses a 40 km diam. area around the "nearby" airport -> represents a very significant portion of the territory), from 01/01/24
IOW, in VLL zones where I am allowed to fly today (< 150 ft AGL, and other restrictions), I will no longer be able to fly at all after 01/01/24 with a device of this class/category (MP3) without RID....Quote from CTR for VLL2:
Using  a direct remote identification system is mandatory, but for UAS  operations performed in the "open" category with a UAS with a maximum  take-off mass of less than 900g or in the "specific" category, it will  be mandatory only as from 1/1/2024, except if the usage of a direct  remote identification system is required in accordance with the  Regulation (EU) 2019/947.
null

Hence, since my area of interest for the planned use of the aircraft is within the VLL2, I definitely need to know if RID is/will be implemented, otherwise I have to resell it
2023-10-20
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

"For reading EU Remorte ID details using WiFi, I've used Android application called "Drone Scanner", and I can see my C1 drone with it. "

I tried with that same app. Please confirm: there is no technical need to register the ID with the controling authorities for the UAS to broadcast & RID to be visible in Drone Scanner (or Wi-Fi network discovery) ? The broadcast should happen no matter if the device is registered or not, correct ?
2023-10-20
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

Sorry to insist and before I try to contact DJI support, please let me rephrase my question(s), leaving the reasons why I need RID on the side for now:

Reading the documentation, firmware release notes and various posts here, it seems to me that the MP3 should be broadcasting a Remote ID consisting of the s/n of the device; this broadcast should be simply visible to Wi-Fi scanning (SSID starting with "RID...") and/or drone scanning apps.

This doesn't work for me: I see NO such Wi-Fi broadcast, and the list of detected drones remains empty when I use "Drone Scanner" by Dronetag.

1) is RID broadcast supposed to be currently enabled for MP3's flying in EU ?
2) is there a step I miss for this to work ? ("user error")
3) should I suspect a malfunction of my unit ?

and
1a): if RID is enabled on MP3s flying in the US (from firmware v01.00.0400 per rel. notes. and user manual v 1.6 p.73), is RID ever going to be enabled/supported for devices flying in the EU ? When ?

Thanks for further hints !
2023-10-24
Use props
BenVCarlson
lvl.2

Belgium

I guess this is a better place for my question...;-)
2023-10-24
Use props
djiuser_Zq4brYgogYq4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1022503 ft
United States

Potato mini Posted at 10-14 17:15
I think that the mini 3 pro uses wifi.

I thought the drone scanner app used bt and wifi.
2023-12-19
Use props
fans6dd5f61f
lvl.1
United States

Drone scanner will not pick up my mini 3 pro , but will pick up my holystone w/ after market RFID
2023-12-28
Use props
Flying Fortress
lvl.2
Poland

Why do you need RID for Mini 3 Pro? According to :

PART 89—REMOTE IDENTIFICATION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
Authority:49 U.S.C. 106(f), 106(g), 40101(d), 40103(b), 44701, 44805, 44809(f); Section 2202 of Pub. L. 114–190, 130 Stat. 629.
Source:Amdt. No. 89–1, 86 FR 4505, Jan. 15, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

"(c) Except for unmanned aircraft designed and produced to be standard remote identification unmanned aircraft, this subpart does not apply to the design or production of:

(1) Home-built unmanned aircraft.

(2) Unmanned aircraft of the United States Government.

(3) Unmanned aircraft that weigh 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft. "

it's not required.

OK! I see now that you use a larger battery so over 0.55 pounds.

2023-12-28
Use props
Flying Fortress
lvl.2
Poland

BenVCarlson Posted at 10-19 05:56
There is indeed a grace period for legacy products, but it ends on 01/01/24 (at least under local air ops regulations where I live)....
This has been officially confirmed to me by the authority in charge in a recent email.
Actually RID (DRI) will be mandatory here for devices like the Mini 3 Pro ("pre-Cx" class) to fly in CTR controlled zones, which is about 40% of Belgium :-P

Will RID be required also for C0 in these CTR controlled zones ?
2023-12-28
Use props
wilmot3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100436 ft
United States

I received a mini 3 pro for Christmas.  I am a 107 pilot. I live in the US , I fly a M30T with local search and rescue department. I registered my mini 3 with FAA. I had the remote id showing in the wifi connection of my cell phone. The Drone Scan app found it. It lasted about 15-20 sec and quit broadcasting. I landed and took off several more times and was unable to see the connection again. Is this a known issue? Can somebody shed some light on this?
1-30 09:03
Use props
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693360 ft
United States

I have been trying to get the Remote ID Scanner app to see my Mini 3 Pro. It never sees it. I tried the Air Sentinel and Drone Scanner apps and both of them see my drone.
1-31 14:00
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

RGBellCSI Posted at 1-31 14:00
I have been trying to get the Remote ID Scanner app to see my Mini 3 Pro. It never sees it. I tried the Air Sentinel and Drone Scanner apps and both of them see my drone.

Hello, there. Thank you for your input. There are several ways to check if the Remote ID is working properly.

Way 1: Remote ID status display on the DJI flight control app
Way 2: Remote ID status display on the DJI Goggles
Way 3: Remote ID serial number displayed in “Available networks” of the WLAN
2-2 03:16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules