Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkieboy00 Posted at 10-23 14:37
I had a very similar situation happen with my M4P. Sent it out with 40% battery and mid flight the battery went from 20% down to 3% within 2 seconds. The drone did an emergency landing causing it to fall out of the sky, It did not attempt to return to home or give me any warnings so that I could bring it back. The drone has been sent in to DJI for evaluation / repair under warranty. z

Sorry but your flight was completely diferent.
You may have a battery problem.
In the flight of this thread the drone was flown too far, down wind on the out bound leg and thus had a long distance, upwind return with a fair expanse of open water, the river Thames, in the final stage.
2023-10-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Monkieboy00 Posted at 10-23 14:37
I had a very similar situation happen with my M4P. Sent it out with 40% battery and mid flight the battery went from 20% down to 3% within 2 seconds. The drone did an emergency landing causing it to fall out of the sky, It did not attempt to return to home or give me any warnings so that I could bring it back. The drone has been sent in to DJI for evaluation / repair under warranty. z

I had a very similar situation happen with my M4P.
What you describe isn't at all similar.
You've described what happens when you launch with a battery that's been sitting around for some time self-discharging.
In that situation the battery percentage indicator gives a false reading.
For that reason, you should only launch with a freshly charged battery, not one that's been sitting around for some time.

If you look at your recorded flight data, it will show that the battery cell voltages were much lower than  they would have been for the battery to actually be at 40%.
There was nothing at all wrong with the drone.

If you want to see the proof much better than DJI will ever explain, post your recorded flight data here>
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2023-10-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 10-23 00:22
Is the "commercial" insurance part of the CAA regs or a stipulation by the insurance company (like with car insurance).

I could be wrong, but I don't remember the CAA saying the insurance has to be specifically for commercial work, I though it simply said you must be insured.

RE CAA, If youre flying under the A2 CofC and not just recreationally then you must have commerical insurance. If you have the A2 CofC but want to fly rec' then you do not have to have commercial insurance.

If you don't want to use the A2 CofC but still want to do commercial then you will need insurance and its the underwriters that will want you to have the A2 CofC, catch 22 on that one. You may be lucky to find one that wont, but as its for commercial, they will risk assess you, meaning they will want some certification.

If you want to fly over a specific structure that takes you over 400ft, then you must have permission from the owner of that structure and they may request that you have insurance, that could just be 3rd party liability or they may request a more substantial insurance such as for commercial. Thats up to them.

There are a good few nowadays that do just 3rd party only and that will deffo not cover commercial work and it will not be sufficient for the CAA either.

Commerical insurances are more expensive but a good thing to note, there's a good few that will do short term cover, i.e. just 1 day

The A2 CofC is very easy, but it will probably become obsolete Jan 2026, but as fo right now, its well worth its and VERY easy, there's a lot of 3 to 5 minute videos to watch (thats all you do actually) but you already know some of it anyway., sign up with UAVHUB and take the course, no money needs to change hands at that point, i think it only does when you've completed the course and want to take the mock exams you can take as many of those as you want before you are ready to take the exam, then thats done over Zoom and you have to show on camera that there is nothing near you that could have answers on it, i.e. you have to walk about with the laptop or webcam to show this. Seriously chap, go for it, especially if you want to do commercial or if you have a sub 500g drone, i.e. you want to fly with Nav lights on your Mini drone, by adding a red and green strobe, your LOS increases vastly, and even more at night, so that alone is worth having the A2 ;)

PS. The A2 cert lasts about 5 years i think it is, so its worth it for sure, i was lucky to get my course on offer, so prob wait till there's an offer on, also, my mate got a double offer at the time, one with UAVHUB and i think he got one with the BMA as well. so i think his course cost him about £50 and mine was about £75, i think...
2023-10-23
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 10-23 19:16
RE CAA, If youre flying under the A2 CofC and not just recreationally then you must have commerical insurance. If you have the A2 CofC but want to fly rec' then you do not have to have commercial insurance.

If you don't want to use the A2 CofC but still want to do commercial then you will need insurance and its the underwriters that will want you to have the A2 CofC, catch 22 on that one. You may be lucky to find one that wont, but as its for commercial, they will risk assess you, meaning they will want some certification.

If probably not have much of a chance to look at doing it until next year some time due to other commitments, but I'll keep it in mind.

I might even do into the training videos a little too get a feel for it... Might get my appetite whetted!
2023-10-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
France

No Original Thought Posted at 10-24 00:00
If probably not have much of a chance to look at doing it until next year some time due to other commitments, but I'll keep it in mind.

I might even do into the training videos a little too get a feel for it... Might get my appetite whetted!

FYI, you can watch the videos at your leisure, even one or two a night, they are only a few minutes long, watch one and see what you think, but watch them in turn as you cannot skip any as you wont be able to complete it Even if you don't take the exam, at least you will have a little more knowledge, but i think you will go all the way, the exam is a multiple question one, i don't think anyone fails it ;)
2023-10-24
Use props
djiuser_kckWCyBAQAUu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 261325 ft

United Kingdom

Hi All,

Having returned from my short break, please find some videos me and my son took, hope they are pleasant viewing.

https://youtube.com/@thefootage932?si=Ex-zCDADLbJ0ijrY
2023-10-29
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

DukeofDrones Posted at 10-16 01:59
some observations.

why the hell is the flight in "sport" mode ?

Just a rookie mistake. We’ve all made them
2023-10-29
Use props
djiuser_6vNkmqwIOaIp
New

Australia

I lost my dji 4 mini in river.
It was auto landing and it didn’t land on home point and just landed and drowned in the river . I sent the flight data to dji and lets see what happens next. I was flying it stress free because of its features thats it comes back to home point in case of any emergency but unfortunately thats not true.
3-22 20:40
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_6vNkmqwIOaIp Posted at 3-22 20:40
It was auto landing and it didn’t land on home point and just landed and drowned in the river . I sent the flight data to dji and lets see what happens next. I was flying it stress free because of its features thats it comes back to home point in case of any emergency but unfortunately thats not true.

There's probably a very simple explanation for your incident.
If you want to find out what happened and why, (much faster than DJI will give any info, and with a much clearer explanation, you should post your recorded flight data here.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.

Or if you use Airdata, post a link to the Airdata report for the flight.

Or just post the .txt file.
3-22 22:12
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

djiuser_6vNkmqwIOaIp Posted at 3-22 20:40
It was auto landing and it didn’t land on home point and just landed and drowned in the river . I sent the flight data to dji and lets see what happens next. I was flying it stress free because of its features thats it comes back to home point in case of any emergency but unfortunately thats not true.

I was flying it stress free because of its features thats it comes back to home point in case of any emergency but unfortunately thats not true.
There are different emergency situations, the drone cannot control them all, this requires an external pilot. The instructions say this.
DJI drones are very reliable but not perfect like any other technology. In all cases, the pilot must control the flight.
Let's look at the logs and then it will be clear whether you made a mistake.
3-22 23:45
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules