RS focus motor issues with the RS3 Pro
681 5 2023-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans089e2b1d
lvl.1

United States

I've recently been having problems with the RS focus motor (2022) on the RS3 Pro.  In my case I'm using it for zooming and not focus.  It's no longer smoothly zooming to each end point as it always has until recently.  It's now twitching at the end of each zoom point.  I can rarely get it to come all the way back to the end of the zoom and have it stay there without twitching and jumping around.  On my 15-35 it might settle at 18mm or 24mm for example.  I always run the focus motor calibration every time I use it.  

I use the same lens on the gimbal which is a RF 15-35 f/2.8 which was working great for me ever since I got the gimbal back when it first came out.  The zooming on the lens itself is still as smooth as it's always been so I don't think the lens is the issue.  

I though maybe the focus motor had gone bad so I purchased another one and the problem was still there.  Has anyone had this issue?  I've attached a video I uploaded to Youtube as an example.

https://youtu.be/TpZMfcXsf60?si=lu8RQvprbjy5kd5Y

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2023-10-16
Use props
Zhanibek
lvl.1

Canada

Did you figure it out?
2-16 17:54
Use props
TangoToney
lvl.1

United States

Hi. Did you ever find the solution to this problem? I'm currently experiencing this same thing and it is detrimental that I find a solution. I was going to order a new focus motor but now that I see it didn't resolve the issue, I'm not really sure what the problem may be.
3-8 11:09
Use props
Jacob Kelso
New

United States

I did not.  I’ve tried a couple of different motors and different cables and nothing changed.  I recently bought a Tilta Nano Nucleus II and have been using those gear motors instead.  It has a zoom option which works like a servo zoom so it’s a nice consistent motion.
3-9 12:41
Use props
samsgt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1085423 ft
  • >>>
Guatemala

The problem you are having is because the teeth on the motor's toothed shaft do not match those of the lens. You need to use the Focus Gear Strip to match the teeth.
4-11 13:04
Use props
Jacob Kelso
New

United States

samsgt Posted at 4-11 13:04
The problem you are having is because the teeth on the motor's toothed shaft do not match those of the lens. You need to use the Focus Gear Strip to match the teeth.[view_image]

That’s not it.  I used it constantly for over a year where it worked just fine before it started having problems.
4-11 13:14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules