Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Freewell or PolarPro?
2701 7 2023-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SnowSkier Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Portugal

Hi guys,

What's your opiion about ND Filters for the Min 4?
Freewell or PolarPro?
As far as I know, the freeweel filters gives you some green cast at the corners.
I had Polarpro filters in my Mavic 2 Pro and they were superb.
Now I'm concerned about this next decision of buying ND filters...
As anyone used polarpro on the Mini 4 or 3 pro?
Need some help.

Thanks
2023-10-16
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-16 16:02
I have owned both PolarPro & Freewell.  They seem very similar with the Freewells being a bit less expensive.  For the Mini 4 Pro, neither brand is readily available.  My Freewells are on order & said to deliver on 11/6.  PolarPro Mini 4 Filters are also listed in pre-order status.

Here is why I prefer Freewell for the Mini 4.  PolarPro offers a 3 filter set of straight ND or NL-PL, which includes an ND-8/32/128 or ND-PL 8/32/128.  PP also offers a straight circular polarizer.  Freewell sets come in 6 packs & include an ND-16/32/64/128/256/1000 or an ND-PL 16/32/64/128/256/1000.  Freewell also offer a mega 16 filter set that includes all those plus 4 more in a nice magnetic case.

I once borrowed a set of freewell, but i didn't really see the point in them. is there anything besides lighting that they help with?
2023-10-16
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-16 18:54
I guess it depends on how much you are into videography.  Real aficionados are looking for that cinemagraphic look with motion blur, as opposed to the stuttering effect you get with high frame rates out-of-sync with the shutter speed.  I am not going to go into great detail but our eyes see motion with a bit of blur, whereas high shutter speeds cause every frame to be extremely crisp & odd.  This looks unnatural to our eyes, hence the jerkiness seen in such videos.  The goal with ND filters is to reduce light reaching the camera sensor to the point that the shutter speed winds up being approximately twice the frame rate.

I once watched a blind test where a group of people listened to a super expensive high-fidelity audio system, then compared it to a cheap, all-in-one, stereo from Sears.  Most of the participants chose the inexpensive Sears system as having the better sound.  Frankly I think that's how most people are about video as well.  They see the video, but don't care about the subtle nuances of motion blur or that a video was color graded.

I use PP for my mirror-less cameras and they are superb.  The only reason I went with those is for the helix system which is awesome (and the glass is fantastic).  I did get the freewells for the mini 4 (the 16 pack) and so far they are fine.  

I like the engraved H and V on the polarized ones that makes it easy to align depending on if you are shooting with the camera in horizontal or vertical.

I couldn't justify the price for PP for the drone.  I can always fix any casting in post.
2023-10-16
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-16 18:54
I guess it depends on how much you are into videography.  Real aficionados are looking for that cinemagraphic look with motion blur, as opposed to the stuttering effect you get with high frame rates out-of-sync with the shutter speed.  I am not going to go into great detail but our eyes see motion with a bit of blur, whereas high shutter speeds cause every frame to be extremely crisp & odd.  This looks unnatural to our eyes, hence the jerkiness seen in such videos.  The goal with ND filters is to reduce light reaching the camera sensor to the point that the shutter speed winds up being approximately twice the frame rate.

I once watched a blind test where a group of people listened to a super expensive high-fidelity audio system, then compared it to a cheap, all-in-one, stereo from Sears.  Most of the participants chose the inexpensive Sears system as having the better sound.  Frankly I think that's how most people are about video as well.  They see the video, but don't care about the subtle nuances of motion blur or that a video was color graded.

thanks for the info
2023-10-17
Use props
SnowSkier Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Portugal

Thanks,
I've ordered the FW too. Faster delivery, than PP.
2023-10-18
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148241 ft
United Kingdom

Another option to consider is not to use any ND filters at all.

Yes, the 180° rule states that your shutter speed should be set to 1/frame rate x 2. So at a frame rate of 30 fps, the correct shutter speed is 1/60 sec. ND filters can help you achieve the desired shutter speed, but in doing so ISO will need to be increased to maintain correct exposure which in turn will introduce more noise.

So…given that 99% of the video content on social media is from amateurs and hobbyists rather than ‘filmmakers’, who really cares about motion blur and the 180 shutter rule?  I would rather have minimal noise than motion blur which is why I rarely use ND filters on my drones.
2023-10-18
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-18 07:48
Definitely relate to this.  People are often watching these videos on a phone display & most are not video connoisseurs concerned with motion blur or color graded video.

I must be one of those snobs, lol.  A high shutter speed video sticks out like a sore thumb to me.  I hate the way it looks jittery.
2023-10-18
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148241 ft
United Kingdom

One other point I would like to make. The Mini Series drones were never designed to be high octane action FPV airborne cameras. 99.9% of the Mini 4/3/2 videos on social media are cinematic where the drones are flying so slow relative to the subject or ground that motion blur is irrelevant. Yes, with an FPV drone flying at high speeds close to the ground - or with action cameras strapped to your chest as you ride a bike - you may want motion blur and so ND filters can be a great help. But if all you’re doing is cinematic videography, do you really need ND filters?  Probably not for motion blur for the reasons I’ve explained above, but definitely yes if you have no choice but to shoot during the day in harsh light conditions.

Check out this YT video. It reinforces my point about use case for ND filters https://youtu.be/UkYTDFwm3wM?si=BrhYy6AoFb9NeebH

2023-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules