Robomaster S1 - Questions before buying
852 4 2023-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9bdfb4fe
lvl.3
Germany

Good morning RoboMaster Community,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Robomaster S1 for a few years now, as a way to introduce the kids to the world of programming a bit. I know they've been interested since we explored Swift Playgrounds on the iPad together and took our first steps with a Sphero Mini. Now we're looking for something more sophisticated and from what I've heard, the RoboMaster S1 can be fed Python.

Unfortunately, I can't find any tutorials/videos that go into depth about the scope and programmability of the S1 so I thought I'd just turn to you guys. So, my first question would be this:

How complex are the programming capabilities of the RoboMaster S1?

Until today, I have no idea how to imagine the programming of the RoboMaster. Are they small programs that do single tasks or would it be theoretically possible to give the S1 a "life of its own"? Maybe an experienced user can show me the limits of the system.

Let's move on to the second point. As an experienced FPV pilot, I am familiar with DJI's products and even though I am thrilled with their quality in many areas, there are always moments when I can only shake my head.

The purchase of the DJI Avata, for example, I regret to this day. Basically, a really nice cinematic copter but thanks to various DJI updates now completely unpredictable in its flight behavior. For months the community has been complaining about massive problems and DJI just ignores the whole thing. This has resulted in a nearly 600€ product now just lying around in the corner. I have often thought about selling the copter, but hope dies last.

With the RoboMaster S1, I definitely don't want to bring another problem child into my house and would therefore like to know if there are any known problems and bugs that I should be aware of before buying?

Thanks in advance for your help

2023-10-16
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

The Robomaster S1 has a built-in Python interpreter and the companion app allows you to write code. You can not import arbitrary packages though so you can only use what is internally available.

Here is a link to the programming guide:

https://www.dji.com/robomaster-s1/programming-guide

2023-10-18
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

BGA Posted at 10-18 13:03
The Robomaster S1 has a built-in Python interpreter and the companion app allows you to write code. You can not import arbitrary packages though so you can only use what is internally available.

And here is an example program that will track other S1s and fire when they are seen:

https://github.com/brunoga/robom ... d_track_and_fire.py
2023-10-18
Use props
fans41d1b82f
lvl.3
Germany

BGA Posted at 10-18 13:03
The Robomaster S1 has a built-in Python interpreter and the companion app allows you to write code. You can not import arbitrary packages though so you can only use what is internally available.

And which version of Python is currently running on the Robomaster S1 (it probably won't be 3.12 )?
2023-10-31
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

fans41d1b82f Posted at 10-31 21:30
And which version of Python is currently running on the Robomaster S1 (it probably won't be 3.12 )?

It is 3-something. But, again, it does not matter much as you are pretty limited in what you can do anyway.
2023-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules