DJI Mini 3 Pro, yet another autofocus issue here?
1136 7 2023-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plicha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631739 ft
Poland

Hello,
I bought a Mini 3 Pro two months ago. I was happy to use the drone and did a lot of shots, however during the time of usage and reviewing recordings on the PC afterward I noticed several flaws with focusing (autofocus). I did research and unfortunately, I have discovered that this is a common problem with the Mini 3 Pro.
So what I have done already:
- reset camera settings
- update to the latest firmware
- make sure lenses are clean, clean if necessary
Nothing improved, my unit suffers from two issues:
- when starting recording it defocuses (3 different video clips attached as an example)
- the middle, slightly to the right part of the image is defocused, while the left and right are in focus (pictures attached as example)
Can someone please assess the below samples if those a really an issue or am I just exaggerating?

DJI_0744 ostrosc drzew.jpg

DJI_0337 po lewej.jpg
2023-10-17
Use props
Minime0815
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1996804 ft
Germany

Known issue since release - fix for videos: use MF with infinite Mode (drag the slider on MF button to the Mountain Symbol)
Fotos: Use AF and Tap the objekt you want to get it sharp. This is the only way for me to get sharp videos and pictures. The Autofocus is crap in the most cases in video mode.
2023-10-17
Use props
Plicha
lvl.2
Poland

Thanks for the reply, I just forgot to mention, that switching to MF is not a solution for me, and neither is tapping the screen to adjust autofocus. I used tapping basically since I discovered this issue, but anyway, part of the screen is always out of focus or defocused in the middle of the shooting and ruins my shot. Also focusing during recording is noticeable and ruins shot. I believe there are units that are not affected by this, so if this has been known since the release what is DJI's statement and approach regarding this flaw, can I get my unit repaired or do I need to switch to MF, or return and buy yet another unit to have better luck with this?
2023-10-17
Use props
Minime0815
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1996804 ft
Germany

understand but with MF infinty you get in the most cases a clear, sharp image without re-focus effect or any other AF issues. Every Video i ever made with my mini 3 pro was filmed with MF infintny- never had any issue with sharpness. with AF 9/10 clips are not sharp. yes ist a tap every time i switch back from photo to video and fom video to photo, but it works. i can deal with it because the chance that i have unfocused videos or re-focus is like 0%. Maybe DJI could clarify this. I think around one year+ ago i found some threads to this topic, who other users claim the same issue.
2023-10-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello, we apologize for the inconvenience. In AFS mode, tap the target on the screen, and the priority is given to ensure that the position is in the best focal plane, and thus the resolution of other peripheral positions may be slightly poorer at this time. The deviation may be more obvious in DJI Mini 4 Pro lens due to the larger aperture and shallower depth of field. We recommend choosing the central position for focusing to balance the resolution of the peripheral positions of the view. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-17
Use props
Plicha
lvl.2
Poland

Hello DJI Paladin, thanks for the reply.
Before capturing I always refocus by half pressing of physical photo button. It is supposed to take focus in the center of the frame (where a little yellow frame exists by default), so now if we take a look at the attached photo examples, the building in the middle is where AF was set however small houses on the right are out of focus but are in the same horizontal line and distance as the main building. The same thing with the second picture, the trees on the left are in the same distance as those mid-right, but the latter is out of focus. Besides that, it is always the mid-right part of the frame is always out of focus, so clearly something is not right there.
Second thing, I did not see any reference regarding the videos attached and the issue shown there. All 3 clips are original ones but trimmed to the first 3 seconds. Anyone, please make it full-screen, set max quality, and move the mouse pointer through the timeline slowly. The beginning of the clip means I pressed the record button, but after 0.5 sec Mini 3 goes the whole frame out of focus on its own. How can this be ok? I'm just expecting a clear statement is this okay and each Mini 3 Pro unit behaves like that or is this a flaw? I paid 1k EUR for this little guy and seems that I can't trust it when shooting for the jobs.
2023-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you get this sorted out?
2023-12-4
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

Mini 4 Pro lens has larger aperture?
With such size sensor why is not everything in focus say from 2-3 meter to the infinity?
(which is the scene distance in drone photography 99.8% of the time..)
2023-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules