Fails to rotate to homepoint in RTH
625 15 2023-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kopanz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814045 ft
Turkey

Fresh IMU calibration using spirit level.
Compass calibration twice at the takeoff point.
Before the first flight did the compass calibration with clockwise rotation, before the second flight with counterclockwise rotation.
No matter what I do it's always doing the RTH sideways.
I've been trying to fix this issue since the first time DJI Fly App requested me  to do a compass calibration because the compass is getting messed up at  night.
After the first compass calibration the drone didn't ever do the RTH with correct orientation.
You have to stop the RTH and re enable it again to have it rotated to homepoint and still it's not 100% correct.
Also notice how the video stream is very weak because of the CE mode.

2023-10-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Never saw this before....

Change the radar attitude view such that the blue arrow in on the outer scale.
Before take off check your blue arrow heading n the map view, it should show the actual heading of your drone on the ground.

Fly again and screen record the checks before takeoff as well.

Did you screen record with the recorder in the fly App?   my screen recordings are 10x better, CE as well.

cheers
JJB

2023-10-19
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

JJB* Posted at 10-19 01:45
Hi,

Never saw this before....

I'm not the only one who had this issue. I found at least 2 videos on youtube showing this problem with DJI Mini series.
Compass on the drone is actually working correctly. It matches with the RC compass or any other smartphone's compass.
The drone is able to rotate to homepoint in failsafe RTH, meaning that when the signal is lost it's returning to home with correct orientation.
It only likes to do this in user initiated RTH.
I'm recording the DJI Fly App with Mobizen. This video is what I exactly saw on the screen at the time of the flight.
2023-10-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kopanz Posted at 10-19 01:55
I'm not the only one who had this issue. I found at least 2 videos on youtube showing this problem with DJI Mini series.
Compass on the drone is actually working correctly. It matches with the RC compass or any other smartphone's compass.
The drone is able to rotate to homepoint in failsafe RTH, meaning that when the signal is lost it's returning to home with correct orientation.

oke, but still like to see new video ;-)  try the FlyApp recorder, see if that gives better video recordings

cheers
JJB
2023-10-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stop doing a compass calibration, its not a good idea, if the app says to do that, it also says to move the drone to another location.

So, what you should do is, turn off the drone, and move it away from any metal source that could cause magnetic interference, this could be anything from a bolt in a wooden table to rebar in concrete or iron railings. At the very least, you could hold the drone in the air and then turn it on, thats what i do, hold it at head height and turn it on making sure that the drone is level as it will throw and error on the screen.

As for your issue, not got a clue sorry but JJB* is helping there
2023-10-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopanz Posted at 10-19 01:55
I'm not the only one who had this issue. I found at least 2 videos on youtube showing this problem with DJI Mini series.
Compass on the drone is actually working correctly. It matches with the RC compass or any other smartphone's compass.

Reading this thread brought to mind that I have seen this behaviour myself, I don't remember the drone. I had forgotten about the behaviour and didn't think to examine the logs when I downloaded them so I wouldn't be able to find the relevant log .

Can you please upload the flight log to
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
and post the resulting URL here?

There are instructions on that page but if you struggle to find the logs please tell what phone, Android vs IOS, you are using and what your computer's operating system is.

With regards to a screen recorder I use Xrecorder.
2023-10-19
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-19 05:13
Reading this thread brought to mind that I have seen this behaviour myself, I don't remember the drone. I had forgotten about the behaviour and didn't think to examine the logs when I downloaded them so I wouldn't be able to find the relevant log .

Can you please upload the flight log to

I can't upload the flight log of the flight shown in the video but I can show the flight log of the first flight today.
It's doing the same thing but rotating counterclockwise for the RTH not clockwise as seen in the video.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4BOIBTOI9B9MAI88V8W0/

2023-10-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you.
Might I ask why you can not up load the log for the video flight? Just curious.
2023-10-19
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-19 05:37
Thank you.
Might I ask why you can not up load the log for the video flight? Just curious.

I did some tests in Atti mode. Drone is not smoothly rotating in Atti mode. Gimbal is lagging.
2023-10-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kopanz Posted at 10-19 05:56
I did some tests in Atti mode. Drone is not smoothly rotating in Atti mode. Gimbal is lagging.

How do you test ATTI mode ??

2023-10-19
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

JJB* Posted at 10-19 07:30
How do you test ATTI mode ??

GPS is widely jammed in the city I'm living in. When you ascend the drone high enough(80-100m) it's losing all satellites and the drone is switching to ATTI mode. But this is not happening with Autel drones. DJI is faking that it lost all satellites when it thinks GPS is jammed.
2023-10-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the issue happens in a different location? Please connect the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 software and please refresh the firmware before the test flight. Take a screen recording during another test flight so we can check it. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-10-23
Use props
Kopanz
lvl.3
Turkey

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-23 00:13
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the issue happens in a different location? Please connect the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 software and please refresh the firmware before the test flight. Take a screen recording during another test flight so we can check it. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

This issue with RTH happens in everywhere. I tried it in multiple cities all around the Turkey.
2023-10-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopanz Posted at 10-23 00:24
This issue with RTH happens in everywhere. I tried it in multiple cities all around the Turkey.

You might like to post the thread on the MavicPilots forum, "slup" & "sar104" might have a look.
2023-10-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Kopanz Posted at 10-23 00:24

Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2023-10-25
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-7 16:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules