Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
So, I painted my DJI Action 3!
518 12 2023-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

Hello everybody!

You may know me from one of my threads where I complained about DJI Action 3 overheating in hot summer days under direct sunlight. Here in Cyprus temperatures can easily get up to 46 degrees Celsius during the hot summer days. Near my black motorcycle helmet my dark gray DJI Action 3 absorbed the heat very well as you can imagine.

Right then and there I tried sticking some white tape on the front screen of the camera and painting the camera cage white. The temperatures dropped and it allowed me to record more, but the camera was still overheating in direct sunlight, especially when stationary on red traffic lights.

My birthday is in 3 weeks and I decided to treat myself with a new motorcycle  helmet. I chose a Shoei NXR 2 (RF-1400 in the US). And I chose the white color. After ordering the helmet I immidiately started thinking about mouning the camera there and I remebered my white tape which I took off since it did not look too pretty and the hot days were over.

This is when I came up with the idea of actually fully painting the mounting hardware as well as the camera itself! I wanted it to look as good as possible. I didn't want to stick the black action camera mounting hardware in the middle of the white helmet. While painting the mouting hardware I got bored and wated to try painting the camrea itself!

I started by disassembling the camera as much as possible without destroying the water adhesive protectors. I unscrewed the lens cover, took out both doors and took out the battery.
After that I started thinking about how I will protect the parts I actually DID NOT want to paint. Those being the lens, both screens, speaker holes, microphone holes, light temperature sensor and the USB port.

To cover the lens I used some masking tape. Considering the lens cover has a big black skirt, I did not worry too much about being accuare with taping as those parts would be covered anyway. I just made shure that the lens was intact. I used a cheap chinese screen protectors to cover the screens. Then I used some paper, rolled it into balls and plugged the holes with the paper balls. For the USB port I just plugged in a USB-C to magnetic charger cable adapter which I never used.
d985d742-251d-43e6-a370-f2ac0ede6585.jpg
Lens Covered with Tape

photo_5888794578708972235_y.jpg
USB Port Plug

photo_5888794578708972236_y.jpg
Speaker Holes Stuffed with Paper

photo_5888794578708972237_y.jpg
Battery and SD Card Slot Covered with Tape

Then I started painting. Ended up doping 3 light coats of matt white, then 1 layer of glossy white and 2 more layers of protective clear coating.

photo_5891072363074797016_y.jpg
First Coat

photo_5888794578708972241_y.jpg
Accessories

photo_5891072363074797059_y.jpg
3 Layers of Paint

photo_5888794578708972243_y.jpg
4 Layers of Paint + 2 Layers of Protection

After all the painting was done, I started removing the protection. I removed the masking tape from the lens and screwed the lens cover back in. Took out all the paper from the mic and spealer holes.

photo_5891072363074797081_y.jpg
Front with Screen Protector On

photo_5888794578708972246_y.jpg
USB Port with the Plug Removed

photo_5891072363074797082_y.jpg
Battery and SD Card Slot with Tape Off

photo_5891072363074797084_y.jpg
Rear Screen with Protector Off

While taking out the paper, I noticed that the area around those mic holes was not painted too well so I decided to remove the paint from the whole front "ACTION 3" plate. I just scraped the paint off with the knife. I left the "3" in white cause I kind of liked the look of it. I also scraped the paint off the door hinges and door sides to make sure they can be operated properly. Oh and I also decided to leave the white front screen protector in place as I never use that screen and I like the way it looks being all white.

photo_5888794578708972247_y.jpg
Before

Screenshot 2023-10-24 142523.jpg
After

I am extremely pleased with the final resulf. Not the best paintjob in the world, but I am also not a painter. I like the way it looks and I am happy with the result. Also all the components and the camera work just as well as before the paintjob.

photo_5891072363074797085_y.jpg
Camera Fully Assembled

photo_5891072363074797086_y.jpg
With Mounting Hardware

What do you think of my little project here? Open to discussions, suggestions, criticism and anything else

P.S: Once my new helmet arrives and I mount the camera there, I will post the results here as well!

2023-10-24
Use props
drummer_codes
lvl.2
Cyprus

[Reserved]
2023-10-24
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

white Rocks, looks awesome, I watched a GoPro Hero 8 video where a guy tore apart and made a Crystal clear case, that is what I wanted to see on the Action 4, a skeleton  case.   but great job on your new action 3 white  one of a kind thumbs up (liked)
2023-10-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks fine. It’ll be interesting to see whether it has made a difference in the hot weather.
2023-10-24
Use props
Andreas Dueck
First Officer
Switzerland

Cool that you pulled it off. I am very interested in your insights.
2023-10-24
Use props
JustName
First Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Looks very bumbling. Especially with all the lint etc. it looks like you would rather have left it alone. In addition, the paint will probably flake off and thus look even worse. I would be embarrassed to show such a result to anyone.
2023-10-24
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.3
Spain

The idea was good but the color you chose is horrible
2023-10-24
Use props
drummer_rides
lvl.2
Cyprus

JustName Posted at 10-24 08:34
Looks very bumbling. Especially with all the lint etc. it looks like you would rather have left it alone. In addition, the paint will probably flake off and thus look even worse. I would be embarrassed to show such a result to anyone.

I'm glad I'm not as insecure as you
2023-10-24
Use props
JustName
First Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

drummer_rides Posted at 10-24 10:37
I'm glad I'm not as insecure as you

This has nothing to do with being insecure. One has a certain demand for quality and the other just not. Unless your goal was to make the Action 3 like a piece of crap.
2023-10-24
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Ouch! It doesn’t look good to my taste at all. But it’s your camera, so as long as you are happy with the result is what counts. I’m curious if it has any effect on the heat though.

I think it was on YouTube I’ve seen a video on why they paint airplanes mostly white and they use special paint for it. There was a story on Coca-Cola, I think, (or was it Pepsi?) that they painted the plane using the brand colors of Coke (or Pepsi). Anyhow, due to the paint not being white, it had a detrimental effect on the plane due to heat buildup and almost fell apart during flight.

Found it.

2023-10-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice DIY project.  
2023-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice job. How is it holding?
2023-12-7
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

Any update on the  paint job how it looks today?
2023-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules