Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I'm trying to work out what shutter speed and FPS to record at
1296 13 2023-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anonymous1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Hello All,

I have a situation I'm trying to work out.  Sometimes I find myself having to record something at night under differing types of lighting with the Osmo Action 4.

One moment, I need to record a computer screen with a known refresh rate of 60Hz.
Another moment, I need to record some activity under an incandescent lightbulb under our local 50 Hz cycle.
I then have to point the action camera at a car's LED headlamp that has a PWM flicker rate that I can't seem to identify by trial and error.

Is there a specific shutter speed or refresh rate that I can put these all under to eliminate or minimize any flickering?

Thanks in advance

2023-10-25
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

In such situations I film with a frame rate of 25 and a shutter speed of 60. The higher the frame rate, the worse the flickering. You can also set 30 FPS and 50 S, both should solve your problem.
2023-10-25
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

Thank you.  I will try these options.  It is one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that I can't simply just test in advance at leisure.

On an unrelated note.  I notice that I don't get any flickering recording of a 50Hz incandescent bulb at 24 Hz (although it isn't a perfect multiple of 50.   Why is that?
2023-10-25
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Anonymous1 Posted at 10-25 19:09
Thank you.  I will try these options.  It is one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that I can't simply just test in advance at leisure.

On an unrelated note.  I notice that I don't get any flickering recording of a 50Hz incandescent bulb at 24 Hz (although it isn't a perfect multiple of 50.   Why is that?

Precisely because it is not a perfect multiple it works with both 50Hz and 60Hz. With normal incandescent lamps, the flickering is not as pronounced as with LED lamps or fluorescent tubes. But the higher the shutter speed, the more noticeable it is.
2023-10-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whatever frame rate you decide to use, just move the shutter until the flicker goes. I use all kinds of frame rates in the UK. If indoors with lights, I set shutter to 1/50th. My monitor is 60hz so then I would use 1/60. Most of the time, shifting the shutter speed will fix it. The killer is when you’re out in the street at night with street lamps and shop lights! Here, some use fluorescent lights and others bulbs, plus car headlights ……. Just play with the shutter!!
2023-10-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Is that not what Auto flicker was to do, guess not (sorry)
2023-10-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 10-26 03:19
Is that not what Auto flicker was to do, guess not (sorry)

Yes it is Fish. Just doesn’t always latch on.
2023-10-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thank you that  I agree
2023-10-26
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

Iancraig10 Posted at 10-26 02:33
Whatever frame rate you decide to use, just move the shutter until the flicker goes. I use all kinds of frame rates in the UK. If indoors with lights, I set shutter to 1/50th. My monitor is 60hz so then I would use 1/60. Most of the time, shifting the shutter speed will fix it. The killer is when you’re out in the street at night with street lamps and shop lights! Here, some use fluorescent lights and others bulbs, plus car headlights ……. Just play with the shutter!!

We are in the same boat.   The latter part of your post is what my original post is about.   

To put it in context:  I'll be at an automotive garage where I have those exact same kinds of lights along with a 60Hz CRT monitor and our 50Hz power supply here in Jamaica.
2023-10-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 10-26 22:07
We are in the same boat.   The latter part of your post is what my original post is about.   

To put it in context:  I'll be at an automotive garage where I have those exact same kinds of lights along with a 60Hz CRT monitor and our 50Hz power supply here in Jamaica.

I thought you were dealing with an odd situation!

Mixed lighting is really difficult. You’ll just have to adjust for one type of lighting or the other.whatever is least offensive.

If there is no movement or not much, try perhaps slow frame rate and 100 degree shutter? 24 or 25fps at 1/25th secon shutter. That might ‘smooth’ pulsing of lights.

I would adjust so that the smallest light pulses but not the bigger one I think. Flicking the shutter up and down will maybe get you to a sweet spot.
2023-10-26
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

On an unrelated note:

Has anyone been able to figure out the ghosting issue that occurs at 24fps in low light while walking around with the Action 4?  I'm seeing jitters that get annoying whenever I move the camera, and it isn't like I have any of the stabilization features enabled.   The sad part of it is that I don't see it much on the camera's screen, but get that nasty surprise when I get home and look at it on a computer or the Mimo app.
2023-10-28
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

By ‘jitters’ do you mean like a flicker when you pan the camera?

If that’s the case, I’m afraid is caused by the slow frame rate. In spite of what you see about cinematic footage, one thing that 24 and 25fps are really poor at is resolving movement. Great for picture (more bitrate available for each frame) but really bad for movement.

I always choose my frame rate based on the amount of movement I am going to have in my video.

25 or 25 …. No movement or extremely slow pans.
30 … medium pans and slow walking.
50 or 60 …. You can virtually throw the camera around!!

Relying on 24fps to give cinematic footage doesn’t work with some types of videoing technique. Jitters are poor camera control for the frame rate. It often happens even in the cinema.

There are people though, who think jittery footage makes it look cinematic. They’re wrong. It’s poor technique!

Films are planned and made very carefully, taking 24fps into mind when moving around. They move with the subject on massive gimbals and blur the background with a slow shutter so that jittering is less obvious and it’s out of focus and blur ridden. Can’t do that with an Action cam. Everything is in focus and so ……. You see the jitter!.
2023-11-10
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-10 03:11
By ‘jitters’ do you mean like a flicker when you pan the camera?

If that’s the case, I’m afraid is caused by the slow frame rate. In spite of what you see about cinematic footage, one thing that 24 and 25fps are really poor at is resolving movement. Great for picture (more bitrate available for each frame) but really bad for movement.

Thank you.  You answered my query perfectly.  I had selected 25 fps as it was dark at night and thought I could get more light that way as I'm in a 50Hz region.  I was holding the camera on a short selfie stick and not using any of the stabilization features as I walked around with it handheld.

I had feared increasing the framerate to 50Hz would make things too dark.   The one thing I like about the Action 4 over the GoPro is the ability to use mismatched frame rates and shutter speeds.
2023-11-10
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought that would have been why!

Action cameras have helped us all get into bad habits as far as video technique is concerned. Most people use them at a high frame rate and always use the high frame rate because it’s there and it’s dead smooth. So we are all changing our video habits to fast shutters and high frame rates.

This in fact, loses motion blur so everything is dead sharp and action cameras have a very deep depth of field.

I have used the Action 4 at 25fps at a shutter of 1/25th for dark situations (360 degree shutter) and it works really well. But I tend to use it on a tripod this way or on a monopod. I keep it very still. In the daytime, if you up  the shutter to 1/50th and start moving around, judder will appear on sharp edges.

If I started a project in 25fps and got lots of motion blur and then wanted to walk around and move a lot, then I video at 50fps for the moving around and then edit and render in a 50fps timeline. All that happens is  you retain the motion blur from the 25fps footage and the software just prints each frame twice. The 50fps footage looks dead smooth, so you get the best of both worlds.

I often mix 30fps with 60. That way, you get motion blur showing and smooth movement at 60fps!

If walking around in dark, use high frame rate but raise the iso. A bit of quality is gone but it is then smooth.

If I use a camera that doesn't do 4K 60, I video slow stuff in 4K 60 and running around in 1080p 30. I mix the footage in my editor on a 4K 60 timeline and render everything in 4K 60. Best of both worlds ..... motion blur in slow stuff and dead smooth running around. No one notices!

This video test is 24fps on the Action 4, and I very much limit movement .......

2023-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules