Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Three questions Set-up, Focus and Torch Mode
1185 12 2023-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi all,

• Does it have to be set-up using a mobile phone like previous products?
  • Have any focus issues been noted?
  • Can it be used in 'torch mode'?

2023-10-26
Use props
Hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12151329 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No you can fully set up on the screen.

Focus is very much on point for me so far, I’ve mostly used continuous focus in the short time ive had it. Single focus also is on point. If you have a OP2 or action cam you’ll find focus quicker and snappier on OP3.

If you just use in in tilt lock mode hold in torch mode its the very same, if you need you can also move left right up down using joystick.
2023-10-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Is it really that it doesn't need to be activated with the phone? I thought I read otherwise elsewhere. Of course, I could be wrong, as I have no personal experience on the Pocket 3 as of now.
2023-10-26
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 09:30
No you can fully set up on the screen.

Focus is very much on point for me so far, I’ve mostly used continuous focus in the short time ive had it. Single focus also is on point. If you have a OP2 or action cam you’ll find focus quicker and snappier on OP3.

Thank you,

Being able to set up on the screen is good news for me.  I was unable to use my Huawei P20 to initialise my Action 4 up and had to use a friend's phone.
2023-10-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The same with other Osmo series, the DJI Pocket 3 needs to connect to the DJI Mimo app for the first time to activate the unit. Once activated, you can use the unit without the mobile device connected to it however, you cannot maximize the features inside the DJI Mimo app. Furthermore, the DJI Pocket 3 supports Single AF (AFS), Continuous AF (AFC: Automatically continues focusing on subjects in the frame without the need for manually selecting a target) and Product Showcase Mode (The focus area is enlarged. In Product Showcase Mode, the camera prioritizes focusing on the displayed objects closer to the lens. The speed of recognition and switching has fast and slow settings, suitable for scenarios like Livestream product showcases and unboxing videos). You may refer to the tutorial below. Thank you for your valued support.

2023-10-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could not activate my OP3 without connecting to Mimo App.  
2023-10-27
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 09:30
No you can fully set up on the screen.

Focus is very much on point for me so far, I’ve mostly used continuous focus in the short time ive had it. Single focus also is on point. If you have a OP2 or action cam you’ll find focus quicker and snappier on OP3.

You'll need to explain this answer ("No you can fully set up on the screen...")

Both the Tutorial videos and the full Manual require setup using the MiMO App.  Which... only runs on phone/pad, etc.  No other way to get Firmware updates.
2023-10-31
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

John Walker Posted at 10-26 13:08
Being able to set up on the screen is good news for me. I was unable to use my Huawei P20 to initialise my Action 4 up and had to use a friend's phone.

Hope you still have that friend available.  :-)
You need to activate the unit using the MIMO App.  That way you will also be able to update the recently released Firmware.  I couldn't find anything that shows the OP3 has a "direct-to-WiFi" option for activation/update functions.
2023-10-31
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-26 19:53
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The same with other Osmo series, the DJI Pocket 3 needs to connect to the DJI Mimo app for the first time to activate the unit. Once activated, you can use the unit without the mobile device connected to it however, you cannot maximize the features inside the DJI Mimo app. Furthermore, the DJI Pocket 3 supports Single AF (AFS), Continuous AF (AFC: Automatically continues focusing on subjects in the frame without the need for manually selecting a target) and Product Showcase Mode (The focus area is enlarged. In Product Showcase Mode, the camera prioritizes focusing on the displayed objects closer to the lens. The speed of recognition and switching has fast and slow settings, suitable for scenarios like Livestream product showcases and unboxing videos). You may refer to the tutorial below. Thank you for your valued support.

I believe your answer is incomplete.  The MIMO App is needed for any Firmware updates, not just the activation phase.  
If this is incorrect, please outline the process for getting firmware updates w/o MiMO App.
2023-10-31
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your replies.

Interesting!.

I couldn't activate my Action 4 with my Huawei P20 Pro, despite many tries and lots of advice.   I finally activated it through a friend's old Galaxy phone.
As my friend was away, I thought I would just try using my Huawei P20 Pro to activate my Pocket 3.  I didn't hold out much hope, but surprise, surprise, it went through without a hiccup and even did the latest update.
2023-10-31
Use props
Hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12151329 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

WebParrot Posted at 10-31 09:40
You'll need to explain this answer ("No you can fully set up on the screen...")

Both the Tutorial videos and the full Manual require setup using the MiMO App.  Which... only runs on phone/pad, etc.  No other way to get Firmware updates.

What can you not set up on the OP3 device. You can set up every camera parameter, there were a few you couldn’t set up on OP1/2 this is not a problem on 3. Yes of course you need a device to download FW as you do with almost every camera manufactured as well every drone etc .

So I understood from OP it was the actual set up of the camera and once you have downloaded the SW and uploaded to device you can set up everything on the OP3.
2023-10-31
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-31 12:11
What can you not set up on the OP3 device. You can set up every camera parameter, there were a few you couldn’t set up on OP1/2 this is not a problem on 3. Yes of course you need a device to download FW as you do with almost every camera manufactured as well every drone etc .

So I understood from OP it was the actual set up of the camera and once you have downloaded the SW and uploaded to device you can set up everything on the OP3.

Easy with the attitude!

All it took was a simple answer.
" I " understood the OP to question from the perspective of previous experience... i.e., post #5.. referring to initializing difficulties.

In addition, there are numerous options that ARE only available via the MIMO app... which... I consider to be part of the full-use setup.
2023-10-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

WebParrot Posted at 10-31 09:46
I believe your answer is incomplete.  The MIMO App is needed for any Firmware updates, not just the activation phase.  
If this is incorrect, please outline the process for getting firmware updates w/o MiMO App.

Thank you for your correction, WebParrot, and my apologies for this. Yes, it is also needed to update the firmware as the only way to update the firmware on this device is by connecting it via the DJI Mimo app. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules